Out of state jobs

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wldywall, Jul 29, 2014.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2014

Okay, I am going to go for it and look out of Michigan for jobs, but I need some help.

I am SPED certified for Emotionally impaired kids, listed as EI in Michigan. What is it listed as in other states?

Also I have heard areas like Houston and places in Florida are still looking for teachers, what are the best sites to go to to find those jobs.

Thanks

3. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Jul 29, 2014

In VA it is sped general curiculum k-12, sped teachers are in demand I got hired as an ed teacher with a provisional license, I am certified k-6 and 6-8 English and math and have a masters in reading though.

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2014

Where do I go look for those jobs? Could you send me a link?

5. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jul 29, 2014

For Houston, it is pretty much just looking at each district's website and applying. Most list the schools that are hiring, but I can think of a couple that don't tell you exactly which schools are hiring, you just do a general application. If you need help with the area, I can do my best to answer questions.

6. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 29, 2014

I hear there will be an explosion in hiring the first week of August here in Michigan, wishing you the best of luck!

I have had friends find jobs in Colorado, Connecticut, and Arizona. Not sure how they found them. A big part was applying for that state's teaching certificate before looking for jobs. Costs a lot of money though :(

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2014

I am not sure there will be an explosion of hiring near where I am, there never is. All rich districts, all considered dream districts save two and one is in such horrible financial trouble that the fact they said they would hire me back in May means nothing, as every teacher there got fired and has to be rehired (second time in 2 years)

As for out of state jobs, the Michigan dept of Ed site lists states that take MI licence on a reciprocal agreement, why would they need to transfer their licence first? People get hired at the out of state teacher fair on the spot all the time???:confused:

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 29, 2014

Most states want to vet your credentials, as if another state is not as thorough as they will be. Many reciprocal agreements depend on you already having standard certificates, or at least it matters here in NJ. An out of state license coming to NJ with less than 3 years experience is not a sure thing. They all want their pound of flesh, assurances, transcripts, and fingerprints, but some states are better about letting you work while all of that is being sorted out. Some, such as Pennsylvania, are notoriously difficult - period. It is definitely not a one size fits all situation.:(:confused:

9. My3kloves

My3kloves Rookie

Jul 29, 2014

10. lionvirion

lionvirion Rookie

Jul 29, 2014

My husband applied to about 80 jobs in CT and NY and got the one job he applied for in KS so we're moving there next week. They said his certification isn't that big of a deal and try to just get it done by November. So, I guess it really does depend on the state but I would just apply to the jobs first, I think.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2014

12. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2014

When does school start there?

As for the licence, do I have to have one in place before applying for jobs?

13. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 29, 2014

I suppose it differs from state to state, but in my friends experience, reciprocal only meant she didn't have to redo student teaching and state exams. She still needed a valid Arizona teaching license and it takes a few months to go through. If it won't go through in time for school to start, they'll hire someone else.

But hopefully you don't run into that.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2014

It starts in the end of August.

I think you at least need to have an application in the system. Sometimes they let you teach with that, other times they make you wait until you actually have the license. I honestly don't know why sometimes it's one way or the other.

15. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Jul 29, 2014

In VA it is individual districts, I know Henrico in central va and prince William in northern va are still posting, I know henrico schools don't start until September 2 I am not sure about Prince William.

16. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2014

Okay for Texas jobs how to do I search for jobs for students with emotional impairments or behavior disorders, it is all abbreviations an I cannot determine what those mean, no matter how I search it in google.

Thanks!

17. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jul 30, 2014

18. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2014

Well, I've done it. The first districts application is done, so we will see what comes of it.

But first, a MATH TEST really? Or asking how many points I have on my drivers licence.....OH MY...... :eek: