Out of state jobs=any success?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachMathNJ, Oct 12, 2013.

1. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Oct 12, 2013

Was wondering if anyone has had any experience getting hired out of state. I'm in NJ and looking at FL primarily (possibly AZ as well) to find a teaching job. Problem is I graduated 5 years ago and have never had a FT teaching position (subbing and tutoring). I currently work FT doing accounting. Do you think I will even get any call backs? Looking to move to FL primarily due to in-laws...looking to start next school

Thanks to all for your time and replies :)

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 12, 2013

When I graduated from New York, I got a job in Maryland. After that disaster of a year, I got a job in Virginia.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2013

I know that Osceola and Orange counties in Florida hire out of state teachers. Both counties have lots of job postings right now.

Edit: Orange County has 190 postings and Osceola County has 66 openings right now.

5. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Oct 12, 2013

Swansong1,

Thanks, I did see Orange County had plenty of postings, I wasn't sure how willing they were to hire out of state. Thanks for letting me know, I'll keep both on my radar.

6. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Oct 12, 2013

Thanks gr3teacher!

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2013

I've done it twice. I moved from MI to NC, and then back to MI.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2013

I moved from the Midwest to the Southwest for a teaching job. If you can do it, it's smart to go where the jobs are. I strongly recommend having the state license in hand while applying. It makes the whole process much easier.

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 12, 2013

On the flip side of this though, I'm glad I waited to get the state endorsement until I started working in the state... in both cases, the district paid for the certificate, handled all the paperwork, and let me know exactly what I needed to do. Granted, both were extremely large districts that had departments dedicated towards teacher certification. There were other districts in Maryland that refused to interview me without having a state endorsement already in hand.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2013

I don't think that your experience is the norm. I could be wrong. I teach in an extremely large district and the district doesn't pay for certification. If you don't have a license when you apply, you either won't get hired or will get hired after a lengthy delay while the state processes your application and eventually gives you a license. We frequently have new teachers starting the year in October, November, and December because of licensing delays.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 12, 2013

We are often leery of out-of-state applicants. We are a small, rural district. Not much to draw people here. We have little turnover, and we prefer not being a stepping stone to another district.

We are more likely to interview those with ties to the area.

12. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 12, 2013

It might be a state by state thing... I was also dealing with two of the fifty largest school districts in the country though. From my observation and interviewing, school districts in and near DC will handle certification for you. Districts in New York won't. I can't speak for any other state. I remember speaking with one district in Arizona (an elementary district in Phoenix) that said they would handle certification if I was hired... another said that at best, I'd have long-term status until I got my certificate. Then both went on a hiring freeze and I took a job in Maryland instead.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2013

Gotcha. I wouldn't classify districts in the top 50 as "large", so maybe that's part of the discrepancy. My district is in the top 5. Smaller districts might have more freedom and resources to handle licensure. I still wouldn't recommend that anyone count on it, though.

14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 12, 2013

I moved from OH to CO for a job. I agree with Cesar- you definitely need to have the other state's license in hand when you apply. I actually didn't have my CO license, but my first principal was somehow confused and thought I already had it when she interviewed me and that's the only reason I got around that. One of my college friends started in NC. She's a special ed teacher and they had TONS of openings but no one would give her the time of day. She even drove 14 hours down there to this job fair and no one would even interview her because she didn't have her NC license. As soon as she got it she started getting multiple calls per day for interviews.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2013

I moved to NC after securing a job, with no license. However, that was when there was a teacher shortage in NC. Now, the climate is different and locals have had to sub a year or two before getting in. People without licenses were not considered.

(I was originally licensed in MI and never let it expire, so it was a non-issue when moving back.)

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 12, 2013

I had good luck with interviews in Kentucky. They definitely wanted a license in hand. I ultimately found a job in ohio so I stayed.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2013

Can we assume from your name that you're Math 7-12?

That should probably make things a bit easier.

Also, I would spend this school year doing whatever is necessary to become certified in FL.

18. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Oct 12, 2013

I moved from the midwest to South Carolina. I had my license by the time I was hired but had several interviews before I got my license. I also know some who were hired from out of state at the same time did not have their license when they were hired or even when they started teaching. As some others said though, the market is much tougher here than it was when I moved though.

19. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Oct 13, 2013

Yep, it's a snap to move between MD-DC-VA. I didn't have my VA license and was hired in a heartbeat when I moved from Maryland. Whether or not they fit your definition of "large", school district certification departments around here are very on the ball and they make sure you get processed. It could be because this is a transient area, and families get transferred in and out a lot. I believe I had to pay for my certification, though.

The VA DOE seems to process certification in a timely manner. When I was in MD, it took FOREVER (don't know if things are different now or not), but my school district was used to this, and if you met certification requirements, you could work until you got your certificate in the mail. My first year in MD, I got my first certificate in the spring, even though I applied in July. This was about 10 years ago. Hope it's better now.

It might be pricey to get certified in a bunch of states, so you might want to narrow it down to one or two states for sure, and get the certification, just to be safe.

20. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 13, 2013

Oh, it's better now (or was during the 2009-2010 school year at least). I applied in August and got my certificate... on the very last day I was employed in Maryland, in June!

21. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Oct 14, 2013

It totally depends on where you go. CCISD in Vegas always recruits out of state teachers. So if you're willing to relocate, that would be your best be for landing a job. I'm not too sure about other states though. Here in Texas it's a lot less competitive. My neighbor just got a SPED job, through alt. cert. with no teaching experience and was offered the job before she even passed the SPED exam. HISD (Houston) was recruiting out of state as well and many teachers on here we're hired by them.

22. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Oct 27, 2013

Dallas ISD in Texas just had a job fair over the weekend. They are looking to hire something like 500 teachers still.