out of school suspension

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by lcluigs03, Jan 17, 2007.

1. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jan 17, 2007

ok, i had a student get out of school for "body checking" my sub on friday. well, i asked around about make up work and if he can do it or if i give him an automatic zero. no one knew. so the in school suspension teacher came in and told me that he's allowed to make it up. what kind of punishment is that?!!! he gets a vacation day AND a grade for basically hitting a sub? wow! i wish i would've known that when i was younger...i'm sure i had a sub or two that i would've liked to "body check."

what does your school do?

LC

ps. i'm a 3rd grade teacher

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 17, 2007

"body checking" a sub? wish I couldn't believe it, but I can. I have the kids make up the work (just as I would for a child who had been out sick). I then treat the missed work as if it was turned in late, which usually means lowering it a grade (i.e. an A paper becomes a B). I don't do that when kids have been out sick.

This way, they still do the work, although they don't get the benefit of my teaching it, and they don't get full credit.

I'd also have the child write a letter of apology to the sub. Hope this helps.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2007

Out of school suspension is only effective if the parents make it effective. Trust me, when I was a kid if I had ever been suspended at home for anything, the principal may have well taken me out in back of the school and shot me because that would have been preferrable to the fate that awaited me at home.

It doesn't really matter if the kid is allowed to make the work up or not because most kids who get supspended don't do their work anyway and the suspension just serves as an excuse to not have to do it.

I would give different, harder, more tedious work for the same credit (if the kid gives a rats behind about work to begin with). Rather than give half credit for the same amount of work, make the kid do twice or three times as much work for the same amount of credit.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 18, 2007

Our school policy is for in-school suspension they do the classwork somewhere else for credit. For out of school suspension, they are not allowed to make up the work.

6. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Jan 18, 2007

I am a paraprofessional in a first grade classroom. We, right now, have a student on expulsion for two days. He brought a live bullet to school and told some other kids that he was going to use it to kill a couple of girls. We the principal asked him if that is what he said, he said yes. The student said, "he didn't bring a gun though". I don't know what the teacher is doing for work. It is just crazy what goes on these days.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2007

If we have a student being suspended (either in-school or out-of-school) the teachers are usually asked to provide work for the student to do during the suspension. While I may be able to provide exactly what the class is doing (if they need to hear a specific lesson first, for example), I always give at least some math that I know they can do, a reading assignment and a writing assignment; these are things that will take a long time to complete. For too many kids, especially if they aren't given work to complete, a suspension means a vacation day. If the work is done and returned when they return to class, I would give it the same credit that it would earn if it were done in class (it often isn't returned, however).

8. bettyb

bettyb Companion

Jan 18, 2007

Our school always gives make up work, regardless of the circumstances. Once I had a student skip school and still get to go on a reward trip he had previously won. The trip was the next day. He skipped school one day and got to be out the next day! When I complained, I was told to just get over it.

9. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Jan 18, 2007

It seems like a no-brainer to let the kid make up his work. They're going to being missing instruction, I don't think we should punish kids by taking their education away from them, that's the last thing these kids need.

I agree that suspensions are only as effective as the parents make them. There was a student at our school we had to stop suspending because if we sent him home he would have help his mom's boyfriend sell weed.