Out of country teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wldywall, Aug 8, 2011.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2011

I have a friend that I graduated with in 2006, and she has yet to find a teaching job. To make things worse she has lost all THREE of her jobs two months ago.

So she asked me about overseas teaching jobs, and I cannot remember some of the places people have talked about in the past....

so do any of you work overseas with a company? Could you send me the names of good ones so I can send them on to her?

Thanks

3. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 9, 2011

I have not taught over seas, but I used to work with someone who did. She worked in Japan for a program called JET. You could try googling and see what happens. Has your friend thought of adding an extra license to her teaching area to improve marketability. This is what I had to do to get a job.

4. gamerTeacher

gamerTeacher Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

JET is a good program, but it is typically for assistant teachers with little or no teaching experience. Your friend should try looking at Dave's esl cafe (they have job listings), or jobs.goabroad.com. What country does she want to work in? Since she is licensed in the US, she should be able to teach at international schools as well.

There are a lot of scammers out there so tell her to be really careful. If they give an unreasonable deadline, ask for money upfront, or seem fishy at all she shouldn't take the job.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

wldy~good to see you on the boards again!!

I have a friend that taught in S. Korea a few years ago. I'll ask her which company she used. I also know that another poster on these boards was looking at teaching in England..MissKirby.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 9, 2011

I have my current position because the teacher took a leave to teach in China. She taught for a year. She liked it, and she resigned from our school the following year and went back.

7. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 10, 2011

I remember when I was in high school, one of the English teachers did a teacher exchange program and taught in Norway for a year.

8. ally06

ally06 Companion

Aug 10, 2011

I taught in England a few years ago and found work through Protocol Education I think they have branches in other countries as well.
    I did a 3-month contract and then supply teaching for a few months but I'm pretty sure they place people in longer-term jobs as well.

9. Adam

Adam Rookie

Sep 14, 2011

I have a friend who did the JET program in Japan for 2 years. He loved it.

I have lived and worked in China for 3 years and I can answer questions you have about working in China.

I taught in Charlotte, NC for two years before moving to China and I can tell you, it is like night and day in terms of school/parental support.

When I decided to teach abroad, I chose China because I was interested in learning Mandarin. The pay is significantly lower than say, Japan or Korea. However, the cost of living is much cheaper, the work load is lighter, and the job opportunities are more plentiful. The number of people actively learning English in China is greater than the entire population of the USA. Scary thought.

As a disclaimer, I recruit for a small private English school in China, so I guess I am biased. However, I am well aware of the differences between working at public and private schools, international schools, and other places of employment where native English speakers are sought. I'd be happy to provide advice for those interested in teaching abroad.

10. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Sep 15, 2011

I work in Abu Dhabi for the public schools. I was hired by a recruiting company called AIDC. They also hire for other countries. I highly recommend them. This is my second year teaching in Abu Dhabi and I started looking at teaching abroad for the same reasons as your friend. It is great money, they pay airfare and housing, benefits and the salary is tax free.

11. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Sep 15, 2011

Sandy-I know someone who also teaches there . She also said it was great-especially financially!!

12. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Sep 16, 2011

Yes, it really is. It can be a big cultural adjustment at first but as long as you are flexible you can adapt. Every year they have been bringing over about 1,000 new Western teachers from all over the world so our community is really growing and it is great!