out of control boy

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by PEteacher07, Feb 25, 2008.

1. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Feb 25, 2008

this is my schools first year with a pre school program. our poor teacher and TA have a class of 14 boys and 5 girls. three of the boys are from "you know where" and make her life miserable.

today, one of them started kicking chairs b/c he didn't get his way. his punishment was to come to PE and watch all the other kids play. he was VERY UPSET that he had to sit there and watch the other kids play so i think that was an appropriate consequence. (he apparently loves PE.) he just does not mind. he should be in kindergarten already so he is bigger than the other kids and he tends to be very rough with them. he goes to the principals office weekly.

so you would think we could remove him from the program. well, the problem is my elementary school is his home school so if he is removed from the program now, he will just be back next year in kindergarten. :|

i am concerned from a PE standpoint b/c he can be out of control in his small class of 20 students. how in the world will i be able to control him next year when he comes to a PE class of 80-90 students? his teacher thinks something is "wrong" with him but she can't put her finger on it.

have you had students like this? how did you handle them?

3. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Mar 1, 2008

If he enjoys PE he may be an angel in your class. Because PE involves moving, and physical activity, he may be able to behave better. I had a child one year in preschool who had extreme anger issues and threw chairs, tables, hit, cursed, (and even bit me!). He got a TSS worker pronto, but even so we had to send him home on days that he was out of control. (On some days, two adult women could not contain that skinny, little 25 pound kid!) At least you have a principal's office you can send him to if neccessary. In preschool, that was not an option. It was just me, my aide, and the TSS worker. If you know he is definitely coming to your school next year, be sure to have some sort of behavior plan in your mind before the first day. Forewarned is forearmed, I think they say.

4. japanesemacaque

japanesemacaque Rookie

Mar 2, 2008

My heart goes out to you! One of my biggest pet peeves as a pre-school teacher are having students who are CLEARLY ready for the Big K but for some reason or another aren't in it yet!

Without knowing your kid personally, it sounds like there may be a couple of different things going on... when I have a "spirited" child (what kind of spirit may be the question) first I evaluate my program... are we keeping up with our routine each day? Is the child receiving enough nutrition for snack/lunch? Is there a pattern in his behavior... i.e. a certain child sets him off, certain words, etc? Is there a time of the day where he NEVER acts up? For this child, that last one seems like it may be P.E.

If all those things are in order, then I think about the child's progress in activities. Does he finish things before everyone else does? Is he always looking for something to do? Can he sit still for 5 minutes?

If the answers are yes, yes, and no... he's not stimulated. Try to provide an extra gross motor activity in your room he is allowed to do while other kids are finishing up art, or whatever. Playdoh is a great one. I honestly should tell you though... it sounds like taking P.E. away may be the worse idea... I think he NEEDS that time for his body. Forcing him to sit out may only frustrate him and fuel the fire, sorta speak. It also sounds like a parent/teacher conference may be in order.

I hope that helps! Good luck!

5. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Mar 2, 2008

i feel sorry for his teacher. she has tried everything. she could make some progress with him and then after an extended break like thanksgiving or christmas, he back tracks. she thinks its because his parents give in to his tantrums at home b/c when he doesn't get his way. at school he throws his tantrums but he never gets what he wants. she told me she is now calling his parents to come and get him everytime he is physically misbehaving to inconvenience them.

i will ask her about what he is eating. if his parents are sending him sugary snacks and unbalanced meals, that could definitely be contributing to the problem.

he sure as heck doesn't get what he wants in my PE class. i won't let him. many times i don't allow him to pick his own groups when i tell the kids to find a partner, b/c he will goto the child that he gets in trouble with. if he is pushing other kids around or misusing equipment, he is sat out immediately. he knows to mind me too b.c i will get two inches from his face and calmly tell him to do as i say.

god i am dreading having this child in kindergarten next year.