Our soft drink and snack machines have been removed!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Hoot Owl, Aug 13, 2008.

1. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2008

Just playing devil's advocate here....What if a huge majority of the teachers/staff wanted a drink/snack machine in the teacher's lounge. Should they be allowed to have it?

2. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 14, 2008

It's not their decision and if the teachers want to get together and buy/rent one, they can approach admin, but who would want to go through the trouble if there is a fridge in the room. Besides, who would maintain it and keep it stocked--I'm sure the secretary doesn't want it added to her workload, who would take care of the money if it were just for the teachers? Someone would be doing a lot more work. But, they can't stop anyone from bringing in their own drinks/snacks and most staffrooms that I've seen have a fridge, so problem solved.

3. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 15, 2008

I just thought that since I am a type 1 diabetic, I would throw in my :2cents: in defense of we "sicklies" - yes, artificial sweetners are probably "bad" but for a diabetic, whose sugar can skyrocket if they ingest a single can of pop or a powerade, or anything else loaded with real sugar, I think it is only fair to make available to me (us) the option of a "diet" drink...
    Our school toyed with the idea of doing away with our (one) pop machine, but due to the fact that I need fast sugar sometimes, and water gets really boring for somene who can't drink anything from a "juice" filled vending machine....I am glad that my diet pop is there, as well as regular pop if I bottom out...

I am all for encouraging healthfulness, but I do not believe teachers dietary intakes should be mandated by anyone.
    :2cents:

p.s. I always have emergency supplies....and I could survive w/o the machine, it is just nice to have the convenience.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 15, 2008

I'm afraid it's a State policy.

I rarely used the machines but I did like having a backup in case I thought I had to have something.

Just about everyone is buying a small fridge to put in their room, and I don't have room for one nor the desire. We still have a large fridge in the teacher's lounge and everyone pretty much minds their own business. Some teachers are bringing in huge sacks of stash to snack on and keep on hand. I can't do that because if it's there I might become involved in brainless eating.

5. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 15, 2008

I feel as though it is one thing to police the students in regards to food choices, but to the police the teachers is ridiculous. I rarely use the vending machine but sometimes I just need a bag of chips or some candy.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 15, 2008

I think our country wants- Thin robots who can read beyond grade level, think critically, and spat out multiplication facts. Well, at least in fourth grade.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 15, 2008

Ya know...if we're so concerned about weight, maybe we should reinstate recess and p.e. instead of trying to micromanage kids' diets. Look at the diets that these olympic athletes eat...and they're the most fit people on the planet, but that's cause they exercise...a LOT.

8. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2008

RECESS!! How are teachers supposed to put in 120 minutes of reading a day?!?!?!?!

Sorry but any district that thinks that much reading and cutting out recesses will improve achievement is fooling themselves. I can tell you, as a parent of kids who go to one of the high achieving districts, all it does is build resentment in the kids. Those kids that have been exposed to NCLB the longest seem to be the ones that are either doing well or dropping out in my district, and there are almost no kids in the inbetween.

Yep, excerise good, big brother law making bad.....

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2008

That's quite a concept, mm! I just wish those lawmakers on Capitol Hill would listen to reason. :eek: Students would perform a lot better if they had recess, PE, and music because they wouldn't be learning to the test 7 hours a day.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 16, 2008

Doesn anybody hear the song "the impossible dream" playing in the background?

11. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 16, 2008

I agree. I am a teacher of young people, not middle schooler or older elm like many of you, but there are so many things I can't do because of the "example". I haven't been able to have a soda for years (no ever) near the children. As a parent I also see some reasons for you to set examples the children can live up too. I agree with Canadian Teacher. Sorry.:eek:

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 16, 2008

I also agree that PE and recess is a very, very important part of the day. Washington still have pe and recesses, but our vending machines in the higher grade level schools are on the chopping block.

By the way, sometimes there is a number that they vending company needs you to sell/provide/order in order to remain a client. The goal might have only been that there wasn't going to be the commerical vending co inside your schools leading the students to purchase the items. Your staff machines could have just been taken by law makers unintential, unresearched accident. Not that it makes it any easier to lug the cases of pop up your stairs.

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 16, 2008

Our vending machine is stocked by the blind school (we are the deaf school) as a fundraiser. I think that is kinda funny. P.S. The blind school is not even anywhere close to our town.