Our Lost and Found is Overflowing

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MarieClarie, Apr 20, 2010.

1. MarieClarie

MarieClarie Rookie

Apr 20, 2010

Hi everyone,

I am looking for ideas to help get kids to take home their jackets from our school's Lost and Found. It is completely overrun this year. We have tried folding them, laying them out clearly in a prominent location for all parents/kids to see along with several notices and signs. This helped a little (about 1/4 of the items were claimed) however there is still a huge amount of jackets left. Any ideas out there on what you do with your Lost and Found?

I was hoping to play a game or possibly offer an incentive of some kind but am stuck as far as ideas go.

Thanks for your time!
    Marie

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2010
  3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 20, 2010

Give them to chairity. Don't give them to a place that will sell them, but to a place who will give them away to kids that need them.

Send letters home, or mail them out to parents warning them that the lost and found items will be available to be claimed until some set date, and the next day, box them up and give them away.

4. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Apr 20, 2010

Our school tried something new this year and it was so fun. The 4th and 5th graders taped themselves doing a "fashion show" with lost and found items. They walked out of some curtains, down a runway with their best moves, and then displayed their item. The videotapes played on all our our TV's for morning announcements. We then walked all of our classes to the lost and found to check for items! It was fun!

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 20, 2010

I agree with mmswm... give some warning, and then just ship them off to charity. If the kids go that long without missing their stuff, they can go the rest of their lives.

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 20, 2010

This is a great idea! I'm going to suggest it...

What we do is ... you guessed it, on the last day of the semester we give everything to charity. It's an ongoing thing so everyone knows about it.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 20, 2010

At my old school we used to set them out in the hallways during parent-teacher conferences and 3 times a year we would have "shopping" events during our morning (TV broadcasted news) show. Our assistant principal would hold up about 20 items a day for a week and students would go to the office if an item belonged to them. Leftovers were donated.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 20, 2010

We set them out around the gym for one week, but down the hall could work too and make the kids walk by them and also put a notie out to parents to check it if they were missing anything. On Friday anything left is given to charity. Our lost and found couldn't survive a whole semester!

9. Grover

Grover Cohort

Apr 20, 2010

Give plenty of warning, then have a sale to raise money for the school. If someone wants their jacket back then, let them buy it. Donate the remainder to a charity that will give them to kids in need.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 21, 2010

Wanna know the worst part? At Christmas every year, we collect money and buy Christmas boxes for children we know need items. This is good stuff-Old Navy, Target, etc. Most of our lost and found items are from those Christmas boxes...sigh...

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2010

We donate to the Airman's Attic (where military members can go and get things completely free) every 2 or 4 weeks.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2010

3 times a year, everything gets laid out on tables in the front hall. After 2 weeks, everything is packed up and sent off to charity.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 21, 2010

What happened to the good old days when parents wrote their kids' names inside their clothing LOL When I was in elementary school it was required.

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 21, 2010

We've tried different things too-every year we have tables full of particularly jackets. Here, even in the winter it's often cool in the morning and then 80-90 degrees in the afternoon. I often forget to take my jackets/sweaters home-although I do eventually. I put the ones I had just in my classroom out at the last parent meeting-one was claimed. I'm sorry, but if the kids doesn't claim it and the parent doesn't-I think it's fair to give it away. It probably won't fit them by next winter anyway. I agree with TeacherNY-those jackets can be expensive it would take 10 seconds to write a name in it!

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 21, 2010

I thought of thist thread as my oldest child is wandering around the house looking for a missing shoe, then informing me that he left his jacket at school yesterday.

*sigh*

16. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 21, 2010

We have a large cubby unit that is our lost and found, which stays by the counseling rooms. Two times a year we are required to stop by with our students to go through the items to make sure they do not belong to them. Then after a notice to parents (and ample time to come look at items) we donate them to our Community Closet, which is here at school. The clothes get washed and then are given out through the year to children who need them.

17. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 22, 2010

We don't have a huge amount of jackets in our lost and found, but we lay them out on the stage, which is in our cafeteria (this is an old school) and the children pass them daily. A note goes home to parents that they will be donated and at the end of a week, they are.

18. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Apr 25, 2010

School jackets cost $40 each, and last year I had over $300 of 'lost' jackets (with no name). Now wouldn't you think parents would be chasing up their child's lost jacket? No one claimed them so I took them home, washed them and have given them to children in my class this year who can't afford a jacket (with their name written inside). As for all the lost socks .......! I also have a Dora the Explorer and Sesame Street drinking bottles, a new pair of school sports shorts and a boys swimming towel which every boy in the class swears blind it is not their!!