Our baby boy may arrive tonight, tomorrow morning, but no later than this weekend!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Starista, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 24, 2011

Hi! I am writing you from my home-away-from home -- the Perinatal Unit at the hospital. Yesterday morning my blood pressure got really high despite my behaving on bedrest (about 144/102)-- we called the OB and he told us to take it again at 2 PM and then again at 6 and spend bedrest laying on my side.

Around 2 PM my vision blurred pretty badly so we took a new BP reading and it was still elevated, although not as high as before. The OB instructed us to go to the hospital... so here we are!

The triage nurses did the usual regime of blood work for liver enzyme testing, blood pressure monitoring, and started me on the 24-hour urine collection (sorry if TMI). Apparently the collection is THE biggest indicator if my preeclampsia has worsened as it will show proteins.

James went home around 9 but came back at 10 and he spent the night in the room with me. :) It's so great to have him, as getting to the rest room with the IV rack is a challenge!

Our OB visited us this morning and has me collecting urine for 24 hours (which will end today at 3 PM) and then we will proceed from there.

Our baby will be born no later than this weekend, according to the OB. Here's what could happen.

1. My 24 hour collection comes back showing high proteins -- if that happens, Liam comes tonight.

2. My 24 hour collection comes back showing no/an acceptable amount of proteins -- if that happens our OB will do a Maturity Amniocentisis to see how Liam's lungs are. At 36 weeks, his lungs could be immature still.
    a. If Liam's lungs, via the amnio, show maturity, he will be delivered tomorrow
    b. If Liam's lungs show immaturity, he will stay inside as long as possible, but no later than one week. I will be monitored
    and Liam will be monitored for worsening pre-eclampsia.

*I am very nervous for the amniocentisis. It involves a needle going INTO my stomatch.

If Liam needs to come and his lungs are weak, he will spend some time in the NICU, but they assure us we'll be able to hold him, feed him -- nana and papa too!

I am praying hard for little Liam's strength and for God to guide the skilled hands of our OB.

:hugs: Katey

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 24, 2011

I didn't have pre-eclampsia but did have amnio and steroid shots...and babies born at 35 weeks..

Amnio..was very unpleasant...but I had to be stuck 2x for fraternal twins.

Steroid shots aren't too bad.

Then babies were born healthy and didn't have to be in NICU at all!

Good luck! I'll be thinking about you! And yes...2hours after I had them I was full of morphine posting on here and facebook lol!

4. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jan 24, 2011

Good luck to you! I don't know if you're having a C-section or being induced, but if it's the latter and you end up getting an epidural, my advice is to pump it up before you fall asleep if you do. When I had my baby in December, I got the epidural at 2:30 a.m. and immediately went to sleep. When the doctor came in at 6:00 to check me, I was at 9 cm and he told me not to pump up the epi...well, when it came time to push an hour later, it had worn off and I could feel EVERYTHING. So that is my piece of advice to every pregnant friend I have now...lol.

Keep us updated. :)

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2011

I'll be thinking of you, Starista. You've been a trooper about following doctor's orders, now you're almost there! How exciting that this time next week you'll be holding your precious baby boy.

6. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Jan 24, 2011

Congratulations and best of luck! We will be sending happy thoughts your way!

7. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 24, 2011

God Bless, I had Pre-eclampsia with my second daughter and she turned out aok!

8. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 24, 2011

Congrats and blessings to you and your family!

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 24, 2011

We'll be thinking about you! I had a maturity amnio also, and while not pleasant, the thought of it is worse than the actual procedure. My advice-DO NOT WATCH. Do not even glance down, or at the screen. I had my hubby about 6 inches from my face and I just stared at him and counted as slowly as I could. I set a goal of counting to 20, and only made it to about 10 and it was over. It gave me something to focus on instead of the...you know. It'll be ok!

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 24, 2011

I am so happy that you are finally going to have your wish for a child fulfilled. You two will be great parents. Good luck!

11. rookieteacher:)

rookieteacher:) Companion

Jan 24, 2011

Congratulations!

I am so happy for you! I cannot wait to see pictures! :)

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 24, 2011

Good luck, Starista!

13. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jan 24, 2011

Good luck Star, thinking of you!

14. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 24, 2011

Being born at 36 weeks would make the lungs pretty strong. Would probably only spend a week in the NICU at most.

15. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jan 24, 2011

How exciting everything is coming together! And good to hear that you have good doctors, nurses, and staff.

16. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jan 24, 2011

I don't always post when you update us about your precious baby, but I do always read and pray. I am going to pray for a healthy baby and healthy mommy. Blessings!

17. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jan 24, 2011

You, baby Liam, and the husband are on my thoughts and prayers. I know you will have your hands around a beautiful baby, but as soon as you get a chance let us know how you are doing. May God take care of all of you. I am so excited!

18. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 24, 2011

Thinking about you Starista and wishing you all the best. Hugs to Liam too.

19. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jan 24, 2011

prayers and good thoughts to you and James . . . can't wait to hear the great news of Liam's birth day :)

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 24, 2011

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your baby. My William was born at almost 26 weeks when my blood pressure spiked to 250/180 (in addition to a laundry list of other complications).

The South Florida Children's hospitals are phenomenal. If you're going to be a sick baby, there's no better place on the planet. You and Liam are in very good hands.

21. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jan 24, 2011

Aww what an exciting time for you and your family! Yes, when you have a moment give us all an update! Good luck with everything. :)

22. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 24, 2011

I believe Florida has some of the best NICUs in the south, from what I have read.

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 24, 2011

In Miami-Dade county alone, there are three children's hospitals with level 3 NICU's: Jackson Children's, Miami Children's and Baptist Children's. On top of that, South Miami Hospital also has a level 3 NICU. Miami Children's and South Miami are literally 5 minutes apart...in bad traffic. Baptist is about 10-15 minutes south of them, and Jackson is about 20 minutes (in bad traffic) north. Miami Children's is a stand alone pediatric center, not affiliated with any adult hospital, though it is affiliated with the University of Miami School of Medicine. The other two children's hospitals are affiliated with Jackson Health and Baptist Health respectively. All three of the Children's hospitals have level I trauma centers, and are each known for specializing in different things. Other hospitals in the county have Level 1 and level 2 NICU services. Once you cross the Dade/Broward county line, just a few minutes from Jackson, you have Joe DiMaggio Children's hospital, which is part of the Memorial Health system in Broward county. It also has a level 3 NICU and a level I trauma center. I'm not as familiar with the pediatric services in Broward, but, with the competition and available services in Miami-Dade so close, I would imagine there are other excellent services throughout that county as well. The competition among doctors is fierce, resulting in some of the most amazing medical care for the youngest among us that you could imagine.

24. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 24, 2011

Prayers for you Starista & for your family!!! How exciting!!!

25. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2011

Crossing my fingers for a safe and healthy delivery for mom and Liam. Welcome to the wonderful world of parenthood!

26. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 25, 2011

update tues 1-25

Hi there,

How much I appreciate everyone's well wishes and prayers.

They monitored my blood pressure every hour last night and it's pretty irregular... like one hour it's good.. next it's too high, then too low...

Blood work was taken at 7 and the OB will be here to see me at lunch. :)

I have an unusual calm about me, which is not quite in my personality. Not that I am hyper - per se - but I can be too much or a worrywart, so... I hope this feeling stays!

James and I very anxious to meet our son. :love:

27. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 25, 2011

I will pray for you, your hubby, and your precious baby.

28. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 25, 2011

boys are the best...hug him for me...I love the smell of little babies and would love to see him. Saying a prayer for his exhausted parents.

29. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2011

Star ~ I hope that all well with you, dh, & Liam. I had an amniocentesis when dd3 when I was 32 weeks. They gave me the steroid shot for her lungs, but she was born the same day as the procedure & shot her lungs were underdeveloped so she had to stay in NICU for 19 days.

30. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jan 25, 2011

So does my DH! Every day he sniffs his head and says he's just taking in the sweet smell of youth, lol.

31. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 25, 2011

Nothing smells better than the top of a newborn's head!

I'm waiting anxiously for news!

32. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 25, 2011

Nothing but good thoughts for Liam and his parents.