Others who have been let go- but still have to keep working at the School?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by McKennaL, May 26, 2011.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

May 26, 2011

I was wondering how others are doing who might have been let go by schools (fired, riffed, etc) and yet still have to keep working until the end...

how is it going?

It's an emotional train-wreck here. I just want to be gone from this place. yesterday, was such a bad day that I drove away and had to pull over to stop shaking - and had a good long cry. TOO emotional and stressful.

I know it's a minority of people here- but I was wondering if anyone was out there - struggling - and just sticking with it till the end. There is comfort in numbers.

:hugs:

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 26, 2011

That happened to me 2 years ago. I was let go 3-30 and had to stay until end of may.
    I was extremely upset everyday and was not motivated to do much at all. I planned a lot of activities so I could keep moving and not cry.

-hugs-

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 26, 2011

This happened to me in the '06 - '07 yr. I was told by the P in Feb that I wouldn't be rehired, but I still worked until school was out in June. I only cried 1 time ever about it...briefly when the union president talked to me right after the P did, so she got to see me cry...a little embarrassing!

I wasn't furious or depressed as I kept working, but the ironic thing that happened was a couple days after we returned from our 2-wk Easter vacation, I had jury duty, got picked as a juror, & the case ended up lasting 2 MONTHS & when it was over, I only had to work about 6 more days & was then free for the summer! Honestly, I didn't LOVE the school & people anyway, so it was no love lost when I knew I didn't have to return.

Talk about fabulous timing! Those were actually the 2 best mos of my life...still got my teacher's salary & was having fun going to the courthouse which was just several min away & having lunch almost daily w/ a few fun lady co-jurors! :D I wish that could happen to me every other yr!

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 26, 2011

It is kinda tough... I know I was pink slipped in the spring and had a month or two left. It is tough... I was more worried about when my students would find out. I really didn't want pity & some teachers did that, but I didn't want to hear oh this will work out better for you. Just let me do my job & then I'll be done!!! I mean I seriously had the teacher that was going to be in my room asking when I would be out!!! This was like 2 wks before school was done... I think the P should've said I have asked her to be out of her room by such & such a date, so I didn't have to deal with it!!! I actually got all my stuff & was done on the day we were to be done... I didn't want to see any of them... It was just my attitude at the time. I still see a few & talk to a few.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 26, 2011

I feel bad for the teachers that have to finish out the year.

Shortly after they made a bunch of cuts here, we had a faculty meeting so they could tell the rest of us how much more work we have to do to make up for the staff losses. They made the people who were let go come to the meeting! It just adds insult to injury, and then we felt bad complaining about the workload for next year - at least we still had jobs. It's just a bad situation for everyone.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

May 26, 2011

When I was non-renewed in the beginning of March 07, I was very angry at everyone including the kids. Then very depressed! As the school year ended I started coming out of it, mainly because I had all ready had several great interviews.(no jobs though)I was feeling up beat and knew that I could take the time to spend with my oldest daughter who was graduating the next year. On that last day of school I walked around in a daze, but as soon as I could leave and walk down that hallway for the last time I felt liberated. I no longer had to be a part of a school who treated me so badly. Yes I had made friends, or at least I thought. (I am only friends with one person now so I know who my true friend was) I didn't have to put up with a principal who was a tirant. And most of all I could walk out with my dignity, because I know deep down inside the principal was wrong!!! I'm a good teacher. Looking back God had a plan. He wasn't letting me know the entire plan at that point but he knew that I was needed somewhere else. I am now in a wonderful school and school district. Would NOT change things even if I could. All that being said, hold your head up high. God has a plan for you too!! It might take awhile before he tells you then plan, but you are most definately needed somewhere.

8. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 26, 2011

We have 4 classroom teachers and 5 support staff that received pink slips about 3 weeks ago. We have 2 more weeks of school. It has been very difficult for them. Some have an "I just don't care" attitiude (who can blame them?) and others just keep doing their job. we have the same kind of situation as Silverspoon65. We are losing those positions and MOST will not be replaced. But it is hard to be bummed about it when 1100 TEACHERS lost their jobs. I don't know how many support staff. Do we have a farewell party at the end of the year for them? Everyone feels so bad for them.

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 26, 2011

I think when they let you go, you should have the option of cleaning out your desk and going home. If they had to prepare for that eventuality every time they pink slipped a teacher, then maybe would actually have to think about the impact that letting a teacher go has on the students.

10. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 26, 2011

Best wishes to everyone in this situation. I just wanted to let you know things may be getting better. The May revise of California's budget was pretty neutral - no further cuts - so that was good news. Our superintendant rescinded 47 pink slips today so maybe some of you will get good news too.

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 26, 2011

My department is losing 5 people. Two have gotten their official notice (got it this week), three of us have dual certs so we haven't been RIFed at this time as most likely we'll be displaced as opposed to let go from the district. It's definitely a tough time. I know my dept head wants to start thinking about next year and teacher assignments, but knows it would be really hurtful to discuss it with the rest of us still here.

Personally I'm chugging along and just doing what I need to do as if everything was the same. I keep thinking of what I'll like about being back in elementary as opposed to what I'll miss about being where I am.

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 26, 2011

It would be a disservice to the students, but at the same time I kinda like that thought. :D

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 26, 2011

They thought about pink slipping us mid year & then actually did at the end... It was a fun first year of teaching...

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 26, 2011

Yuck, Diz. I don't know if I could have handled that.

15. carlea

carlea Comrade

May 26, 2011

I've gotten a non-renewal letter every year for the past 3 years. Luckily I've been offered my job back every year. The first year was the hardest - I actually cried in class when my 4th graders asked about it (they saw the Save Our Teachers signs in front of our school). My students were great - I got a big group hug - it was not hard to keep teaching them. This year I got my letter again and I figure if I get my job back next year - great. If not, that's ok, too, since I'm expecting in November.

16. KateL

KateL Habitué

May 26, 2011

I found out that I was non-renewed at the end of January. It has been so hard coming to school and acting like everything is normal in front of the students! We only have 4 days left, and I'm so ready to be out of here. I was very angry for awhile, mostly at the principal, but I just got a new job for next year, so now I think I can let it go.