Others who have been let go- but still have to keep working at the School?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by McKennaL, May 26, 2011.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

May 26, 2011

I was wondering how others are doing who might have been let go by schools (fired, riffed, etc) and yet still have to keep working until the end...

how is it going?

It's an emotional train-wreck here. I just want to be gone from this place. yesterday, was such a bad day that I drove away and had to pull over to stop shaking - and had a good long cry. TOO emotional and stressful.

I know it's a minority of people here- but I was wondering if anyone was out there - struggling - and just sticking with it till the end. There is comfort in numbers.

:hugs:

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 26, 2011

That happened to me 2 years ago. I was let go 3-30 and had to stay until end of may.
    I was extremely upset everyday and was not motivated to do much at all. I planned a lot of activities so I could keep moving and not cry.

-hugs-

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 26, 2011

This happened to me in the '06 - '07 yr. I was told by the P in Feb that I wouldn't be rehired, but I still worked until school was out in June. I only cried 1 time ever about it...briefly when the union president talked to me right after the P did, so she got to see me cry...a little embarrassing!

I wasn't furious or depressed as I kept working, but the ironic thing that happened was a couple days after we returned from our 2-wk Easter vacation, I had jury duty, got picked as a juror, & the case ended up lasting 2 MONTHS & when it was over, I only had to work about 6 more days & was then free for the summer! Honestly, I didn't LOVE the school & people anyway, so it was no love lost when I knew I didn't have to return.

Talk about fabulous timing! Those were actually the 2 best mos of my life...still got my teacher's salary & was having fun going to the courthouse which was just several min away & having lunch almost daily w/ a few fun lady co-jurors! :D I wish that could happen to me every other yr!

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 26, 2011

It is kinda tough... I know I was pink slipped in the spring and had a month or two left. It is tough... I was more worried about when my students would find out. I really didn't want pity & some teachers did that, but I didn't want to hear oh this will work out better for you. Just let me do my job & then I'll be done!!! I mean I seriously had the teacher that was going to be in my room asking when I would be out!!! This was like 2 wks before school was done... I think the P should've said I have asked her to be out of her room by such & such a date, so I didn't have to deal with it!!! I actually got all my stuff & was done on the day we were to be done... I didn't want to see any of them... It was just my attitude at the time. I still see a few & talk to a few.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 26, 2011

I feel bad for the teachers that have to finish out the year.

Shortly after they made a bunch of cuts here, we had a faculty meeting so they could tell the rest of us how much more work we have to do to make up for the staff losses. They made the people who were let go come to the meeting! It just adds insult to injury, and then we felt bad complaining about the workload for next year - at least we still had jobs. It's just a bad situation for everyone.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

May 26, 2011

When I was non-renewed in the beginning of March 07, I was very angry at everyone including the kids. Then very depressed! As the school year ended I started coming out of it, mainly because I had all ready had several great interviews.(no jobs though)I was feeling up beat and knew that I could take the time to spend with my oldest daughter who was graduating the next year. On that last day of school I walked around in a daze, but as soon as I could leave and walk down that hallway for the last time I felt liberated. I no longer had to be a part of a school who treated me so badly. Yes I had made friends, or at least I thought. (I am only friends with one person now so I know who my true friend was) I didn't have to put up with a principal who was a tirant. And most of all I could walk out with my dignity, because I know deep down inside the principal was wrong!!! I'm a good teacher. Looking back God had a plan. He wasn't letting me know the entire plan at that point but he knew that I was needed somewhere else. I am now in a wonderful school and school district. Would NOT change things even if I could. All that being said, hold your head up high. God has a plan for you too!! It might take awhile before he tells you then plan, but you are most definately needed somewhere.

8. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 26, 2011

We have 4 classroom teachers and 5 support staff that received pink slips about 3 weeks ago. We have 2 more weeks of school. It has been very difficult for them. Some have an "I just don't care" attitiude (who can blame them?) and others just keep doing their job. we have the same kind of situation as Silverspoon65. We are losing those positions and MOST will not be replaced. But it is hard to be bummed about it when 1100 TEACHERS lost their jobs. I don't know how many support staff. Do we have a farewell party at the end of the year for them? Everyone feels so bad for them.

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 26, 2011

I think when they let you go, you should have the option of cleaning out your desk and going home. If they had to prepare for that eventuality every time they pink slipped a teacher, then maybe would actually have to think about the impact that letting a teacher go has on the students.

10. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 26, 2011

Best wishes to everyone in this situation. I just wanted to let you know things may be getting better. The May revise of California's budget was pretty neutral - no further cuts - so that was good news. Our superintendant rescinded 47 pink slips today so maybe some of you will get good news too.

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 26, 2011

My department is losing 5 people. Two have gotten their official notice (got it this week), three of us have dual certs so we haven't been RIFed at this time as most likely we'll be displaced as opposed to let go from the district. It's definitely a tough time. I know my dept head wants to start thinking about next year and teacher assignments, but knows it would be really hurtful to discuss it with the rest of us still here.

Personally I'm chugging along and just doing what I need to do as if everything was the same. I keep thinking of what I'll like about being back in elementary as opposed to what I'll miss about being where I am.

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 26, 2011

It would be a disservice to the students, but at the same time I kinda like that thought. :D

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 26, 2011

They thought about pink slipping us mid year & then actually did at the end... It was a fun first year of teaching...

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 26, 2011

Yuck, Diz. I don't know if I could have handled that.

15. carlea

carlea Comrade

May 26, 2011

I've gotten a non-renewal letter every year for the past 3 years. Luckily I've been offered my job back every year. The first year was the hardest - I actually cried in class when my 4th graders asked about it (they saw the Save Our Teachers signs in front of our school). My students were great - I got a big group hug - it was not hard to keep teaching them. This year I got my letter again and I figure if I get my job back next year - great. If not, that's ok, too, since I'm expecting in November.

16. KateL

KateL Habitué

May 26, 2011

I found out that I was non-renewed at the end of January. It has been so hard coming to school and acting like everything is normal in front of the students! We only have 4 days left, and I'm so ready to be out of here. I was very angry for awhile, mostly at the principal, but I just got a new job for next year, so now I think I can let it go.

17. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 26, 2011

But it's not a disservice when a district closes down a class mid year because of low enrollment? Or transfer policies that let teacher play musical classrooms long after the first day of school?

And if a teacher is bad enough to not allowed back next year, then should they really still be in the classroom next week?

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 26, 2011

I haven't had those experiences yet Sarge. I wouldn't like that (for their sake) either.

19. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

May 26, 2011

I was pink slipped last year in February and had to work through June. It was really hard to stay motivated. The kids were hard to control after TAKS. I was using all my free time to find another job. I had to move out of my apartment in April when my lease ended since I didn't know where I would be working the next year (meaning I crashed with friends and family and in an extended stay hotel through the rest of the year) and on Saturdays I went to every job fair I caught wind of.

One of the ways I coped was establishing formal monday (the opposite of casual Friday). I would dress up on monday and then wear jeans and a tee the rest of the week. I got spoken to about it once by my department head ("you're not gone yet, so be professional."), but what were they gonna do? Fire me?

It was a lot easier, though, once I'd gotten a job offer somewhere else.

20. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 26, 2011

Back in 2007 for my first teaching job besides substituting, I was let go in November (totally unjustified and they let others go to as the yr went on for various reasons...I think they were trying to just let people go since they had low enrollment, poor administration (I am a good teacher and they should have kept me!!!) and budget issues. The school was new and isn't active now.

Anyways I didn't get the chance to say bye to my students so that was super sad and cold to me. I had to pack up over Thanksgiving break when they told me and I didn't come back that Monday because I wasn't told to. Yeah, that was hard on me as a new teacher where I thought I'd thrive and have a good time in terms of a Christian private school which sounded very ideal to me.

It totally hurt my confidence so I'm still working on doing other things to bring it back like learning golf, tutoring, nannying etc...just got to work on it so I can be successful in my future classroom when I decide to return.

21. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 26, 2011

I was once let go from a student teaching assignment - class from h311, relocated to a trailer due to construction, mix of GATE and at risk students, and no admin support.

They let me go back the next semester.

I was sad at first. But then they said my day was over and I didn't even need to go teach my afternoon class. I could go home. My mood brightened immediately.

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 26, 2011

I was hired as a temp for two years and recieved my pink slip in March. Even though I was expecting it, it still hurt. I just kept on teaching and acted as if everything was normal/okay.

One year, though, I was non-reelected by an idiot principal (who was later fired). I sent in my resignation letter in March (deadline) and had to keep on working until June. Now that year was bad. I LOVED my class and my kids, but hated my "principal" with a passion. I did end up taking about 4 or 5 days off for mental days and for interviews between March and the end of school. When my kids found out that I would not be back, I fibbed and them that I wanted to teach kinder (which, strangely enough I ended up doing the following year), but I just didn't know what to say. :(

23. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

May 27, 2011

Way back in 2007, I was non-renewed. I found out in April and still had to finish out the year. It was HARD especially the post-school days. Everyone else was already planning for next year and here I was packing up my stuff so another teacher could move in. I didn't even make it home that day before crying my eyes out.

However it was nice knowing because it gave me a huge lead time to get ready for interviewing.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 27, 2011

I would think those who were not rehired would WANT to finish out the year. I know I would. Might as well get those last months of good salary, right? Or do most people tend to want to quit right then & there?

I wasn't asked by my P if I wanted to finish the yr or stop then & there. I just assumed I'd go ahead & finish the yr (which I did).

25. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 27, 2011

I think you have to finish up the year, per contract (unless you are forced to leave the classroom if you did something horrible or illegal).

26. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

May 27, 2011

The hard part is that I work with two ROTTEN women (I wouldn't normally say that - but these two are ROTTEN!!!!!!!) who don't settle with having an assistant not rehired....they need to disrespect me and slam me inFRONT of students. It's a joke now (on THEM - though they don't get it) how many times they blame me for things in a day. The number is up to four to five things a day. People will say "mcKenna, what's the daily count up to now?" And I will say, "2 - but it's only 10:30."

But deep inside - it is hurting me. I need to have confidence for the interviewing season. I need to NOT feel like a failure. Though these two are making SURE I feel terrible. The rest of the staff are trying to keep me cheerful- but .... well, I am TRULY thinking things over this weekend. We have two weeks left - and I could sure used the money for property taxes....but I am not THAT desperate for money that I will sacrifice my mental and emotional health for their ... ROTTEN behavior.

I cleared out ALL of my stuff after school today - not sure if I will be returning on Tuesday. Just have NO interest in EVER going back. Two weeks worth or two hours worth. It is NOT worth the incredible pain.

27. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 28, 2011

:(

-hugs-

28. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 28, 2011

When they did pink slip the people at my school, they did it on a Wednesday in the middle of the day! They would just call people down during their planning period. I mean, at least try to talk to people on a Friday, or at the end of the day. They called in a sub just to send around and cover classes while they talked to people - we were calling her the grim reaper. Then to have to turn around and go teach?

29. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 28, 2011

Silver, that horrible!!! I know when I was being non-reelected, they wanted me to drive down to the district office during my 20 minute break (no sub to help cover) to non-reelect me. Of course, I didn't even know what was going on at the time and emailed HR back and said, no, thta won't work for me. I wouldn't have time to get back. So, they said, just come in after school on Friday.

After I found out what the meeting was about, I thought "What evil people!!! How dare they ask me to come in the middle of the day to do this to me!"

Luckily, the principal who non-reelected me was fired the next year and I was able to come back to the same school and work with an AMAZING principal who loves me! :)

Gotta love karma.

30. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

May 28, 2011

They make appointments at my school. This year they did them with a week's notice. Gee, let's think about this. You get an email, schedule and are also told that your union rep will be there. Really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. I like my P I really do but this irritated me. Don't tell people first thing in the morning. We had a teacher literally walk out and not return for two days after that. At least do it yourself and not have an AP do it. That's why you get paid the big money Mr. Principal. :|

31. CocoC

CocoC Guest

May 30, 2011

I wish that I had known about this forum a month ago when I was pink-slipped. It was very difficult. I was told first thing on a Fri. morning, then had to sign a form by noon the next Mon. regarding resignation. (Had been advised if I didn't, no principal would even give me an interview due to non-renewal box that I'd have to check on application.) I did not submit a letter of resignation as I will need unemployment.

I don't have any idea of where to turn, just trusting that a window will open for me.

I do want and need to teach. Suggestions, please? Thank you.

32. tb71

tb71 Cohort

May 30, 2011

I've only been in education for a couple of years and am just blown away by the lack of respect some administrators and teachers have for each other. Hugs to you all!

33. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

May 30, 2011

Well, it's Monday night. Our school actually has TWO more weeks. (THey are so proud that they have the most school days in the state - but oy to all the time that they WASTE!!!!!)

Anyway...I am going to work tomorrow. But I will not put up with any more bullying. i have cleared out my things and only have a few things to bring back tomorrow. My plan? I could walk away tomorrow and not care.

We'll see how it goes.

34. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 2, 2011

:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs: Hang in there McKenna. It's almost over.

35. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Jun 2, 2011

I was notified that I was laid off at the beginning of May. I feel like no one even cares. I have a duty and obligation to teach the children for the remainder of the school year. It's not their fault of cuts, politics, and poor decisions made by the district. however, i have no desire to do any of the paperwork and nonsense. My administrators are so insensitive and ask me to do things that I really could care less. For example, I was asked every day by my VP if I sent my voting ballot in for the union elections. Do you think I really care who is elected?!?! I won't be here!! I threw that thing out when I got it lol.

36. CocoC

CocoC Guest

Jun 12, 2011

I found out right after I'd spent hundreds contributing to collections for wedding/baby shower gifts, P and VP birthdays, play day, etc. Ouch.

37. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2011

Due to retirements they were able to rescind all of the layoffs in my school but one. Which is great, but I REALLY felt bad for that one guy the last couple days.

38. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 12, 2011

Last year we were told in March that there were going to be thousands of layoffs citywide. We were told how these cuts were going to be determined and that nobody would know until the first week of June.

I heard that they decided to announce it until two weeks before the year ended to avoid teachers taking a lot of sick days and adopting the I don't care attitude. In fact, I believe several principals in the district try to wait until the very end to notify of layoffs.

Honestly, I don't know what's worse, knowing or not knowing. The anxiety that a lot of us suffered between March and June was horrible. I would much rather know and have an action plan than to just be hanging in the unknown for a long time.

I ended up taking a job at another school, even though I didn't want to leave, but I wasn't sure at all about my status at the school.

39. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 13, 2011

They do that here too where they wait until the last possible second to tell you because sure enough we had a bunch of teachers use up their sick time once they were let go. Unless you've got 5 years in you don't get a cash-out.

McKenna, How are you doing?

40. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Jul 4, 2011

McKenna how did the last two weeks go? Did you finish out the year? Just wondering how you are doing and hope that you are having some luck with finding a teaching job.

41. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 4, 2011

Most of the unions around here required about a 6 week notice for lay-offs. (I think). I work at a charter, so it's at will, anything can happen at any time.