Other post got me thinking re: water & snacks

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by loves2teach, Aug 1, 2009.

?

So, do you allow snacks and/or water bottles

1. Yes, I allow both in my classroom :)

41 vote(s)
    46.6%
  2. Yes, I allow water bottles, but not snacks.

33 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. No, neither are allowed in my classroom

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Not yet, but now I am thinking about it.

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Other

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2009

Well, I was reading the other post and I started thinking about whether or not you let your students have water bottles and/or snacks in class.

I have been teaching for five years now. I have always let my students have a water bottle (no larger than 20 oz and it must have a lid to deal with the spilling issues) and a snack (healthy, not too messy & actually snack sized). I used to have an actual snack time, but I got so tired of kids asking if it was time yet, that I started letting them eat snack any time I was not giving actual instruction. My kids know I have final veto over the snack. I can only think of a handful of times in the past that either has been a problem.

So, what do you do?

3. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

I allow water bottles if they bring them and we have a designated snack time at the end of the day. I don't have a problem with either one.

4. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

I allow water bottles, but no to the snacking. We eat lunch fairly at noonish and they don't finish breakfast most days until about 8:15 or so.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 1, 2009

I teach kindergarten so I have a snack time built in. We also have a water fountain in the classroom but I will let the students drink from a water bottle if they have it.

6. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 1, 2009

My students can have water bottles at any time. I have a specific snack time (basically any time in the morning before morning recess). The kids are allowed to bring their water and snacks around the classroom.

I've had a few accident-prone kids who seem to always forget to cap their water bottle or knock it over. We meet to discuss- some decide to keep their bottle by the sink and go to the sink for drinks. Some decide to get a drink from the drinking fountain when they go to the bathroom.

7. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

Aug 1, 2009

I had one boy who spilt his water every day so he had to keep his in his cubby.
    I have cut off a few kids who drink so much that they are always wanting to go to the bathroom.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 1, 2009

I allow water bottles, but they don't usually bring them because the water fountain is right outside the door and they can go anytime I'm not teaching and it is no big deal. One thing I wanted to being up though is that when swine flu was going around several kids brought water bottles and parents asked that kids not go to the water fountain. I am thinking about asking parents to send water bottles during flu season (especially if swine flu is bad again) so they don't share so many germs.

9. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 1, 2009

Water only for drinks! Most sports drinks and sodas are just loaded with high fructose corn syrup. Kids don't need to be sucking down sugar all day long...not healthy.

We have a late lunch, so I allow healthy snacks at snack time. At the beginning of the year, I send home a newsletter that has examples of healthy snacks and unhealthy snacks, so there's no, "Oh, I thought cream-filled doughnut was healthy!" Usually if I don't notice that someone has an unhealthy snack, another student rats them out.

We had swine flu at our school this past spring! It wasn't so bad. Lots of handwashing.

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2009

Exactly the same. Water or juice only because kids around here want to drink soda or sweet tea, and I don't think that's a good idea.

The only problem I really have that annoys me is some of them suck on the bottle. I can't stand it, so I have to go by and take it from them and set it on my desk til the end of the day.

11. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 1, 2009

I allow drinks and snacks (no soda). They can have their snack during the day whenever they are hungry, but it must be a snack not a meal LOL. If also can't be messy- no hot cheetos.

12. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2009

When the kids are testing in my class, I treat them to three or four animal crackers each before the test. The animal crackers are low in sugar, low fat and fun :)

13. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 1, 2009

during testing I give my kids dum dums. Helps keep them from chewing on their pencils. lol

14. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 1, 2009

My kids don't all have those sport bottles, because they can't afford it, so they reuse bottled water bottles. My huge problem is kids who crinkle the bottles. Drives me crazy!

15. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Aug 1, 2009

Water bottles are encouraged throughout our school (in AZ need I say more?) but I was the only fifth grade teacher out of five classes for the last few years to allow a regular snack time. However, I would take away snack time when behavior was not up to par. If my students were having a bad morning, I would write the word SNACK on the board. Each time I had to ask the class to correct their behavior, I erased a letter. When the letter was gone, there was no snack. This was very effective in my class.

16. Picabo

Picabo Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

For the past two years, I allowed students to bring a water bottle and a healthy snack to enjoy after first recess while I read aloud. Our lunch wasn't until 1:00, so it was a long time between breakfast and lunch.

I'm at a new school this year with a 12:00 lunch time. I'll still allow children to bring water and a healthy snack; however, not sure if snack time will be before or after first recess.

17. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2009

LOVE IT!!!

18. ally06

ally06 Companion

Aug 2, 2009

My students are allowed to have a waterbottle at their table (water only and if they play with it too much it goes back in their bag!) and we have a fruit break in the middle of the day (children take turns to bring in cut up fruit to share). We used to stop for a healthy snack in the middle of the morning but I stopped that as it was not really needed and disrupted our morning.

19. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Aug 2, 2009

I used to ALWAY let my kids bring a drink and snack. Reasons: I have a high metabolism, and I get very weak when i don't have a snack. So I know what it feels like to be hungry and out of focus. Kids can concentrate better when they have energy. Also, some of them just don't eat breakfast.

However, my P sent us an email saying that we were NOT to allow our kids to eat during class. And we could not offer food treats as rewards. Needless to say, we all slipped in snack rewards during TCAP review (it works and the kids try hard). I don't understand how eating a snack causes kids to become obeese (which was why the P said no food). It is really a good thing to eat breakfast and a snack. It keeps you from pigging out at meals!

20. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

I have always allowed water bottles. I let them keep them at their desk. My only rule is no drinks while I'm teaching--just when it is work time. Another teacher makes them put water bottles on the back shelf and only lets them get drinks when they take bathroom breaks. It allows the kids who don't like to drink from a water fountain the opportunity to have their own water bottle, but you don't have kids playing with them all of the time. I'm wondering if I shouldn't let them have them at their desk?? I've often thought about cutting out water bottles during the winter when the need for drinks ALL OF THE TIME isn't so great.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2009

Our students are allowed water bottles, nothing but water to drink, however. As part of our Healthy Schools initiative, each classrom receives a bin of fresh fruit each week. The students are welcome to have a healthy snack from the bin during class time as long as it isn't disruptive.

22. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2009

I allow healthy drinks and snacks. Some of my children have medical concerns and they need to have frequent snacks and drinks. The other children have an assigned snack time and they can drink whenever they want. We don't have a water fountain in the room and we live in a warm climate so I encourage the children to stay hydrated.

23. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Aug 2, 2009

Our district encourages water brought to school (our school stuCo sold water bottles last year). Students keep them at their desks, I also allow a healthy snack. I send a list of snacks home at the beginning of the year. The students and I create the list and talk about what we can bring. I allow the students to eat their snack at any point during the day as long as it is not disruptive to the class.

I have low blood sugar and snack frequently also so I model good choices. My teaching partner does a timed snack time (in the hall on the way to specials-last year). My other partner doesn't do snack at all.

24. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

How wonderful!!! I would love the fresh fruit.

I have always allowed water (with only water) and a HEALTHY snack. SMurfette, I agree, the crinkling of the water bottles drives me insave-that's more my son than my students. Their snack (which is optional to bring, but encouraged) should be one serving, finger food (we work while we eat, I don't want yogurt messes, gogurts squirting...) and healthy. I give the parents some suggestions in my first newsletter, and point out ones to avoid. If a child brings an "inappropriate" snack, I let them have it that day (after having them check their lunch for a better alternative), but not afterwards.

25. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

We have a water fountain in our classroom and that seems to do the trick (the children can get water anytime, except during direct teaching). We tried water bottles for our PE time and the PE teachers and I thought we would go insane. Don't forget this is Kindergarten. The children would forget them in the room, spill them on our PE court to make pictures, share with friends, spill them in their backpacks, sneak them all during the day, throw them, pour water on each other, etc, etc. Yes, we set up rules and enforced them, but gave up anyway. I don't know if we will try again or not.

26. Mrs. Mommy

Mrs. Mommy New Member

Aug 2, 2009

When my kids were in school they were allowed to take water bottles and snacks (had a designated snack time) in. I remember being in school and wishing I had a drink or being hungry and feeling very poorly because I couldn't eat......it seemed like lunch time was a long way off. Both of my kids loved being able to have a drink at their disposal (water or juice) and having a snack before lunch (and sometimes at the end of the day).

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2009

I recommend water bottles- there's lots of brain research ab out hydration...

We have a mid-morning snack in my classroom as well (grade 2)...usually it's a 'working snack'- the kids have something to do while snacking!! (kind of like a 'working lunch':lol:)

28. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

I don't allow water bottles unless they need it for special circumstances. I used to let students bring them and even with the lids on, their desks would get wet due to the condensation and in turn, their papers would get wet too. Plus we have a water fountain in the classroom and they are allowed to discreetly get water when they need it during indepdendent work.

I only allow snack if we have a really early or late lunch.

29. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Aug 2, 2009

They can have as much water as they want. I provide snacks later in the day.

30. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

I have a water fountain in my room. I have had a few students who weren't allowed to use it (per parents' request). Those students were allowed to have water bottles instead. Surprisingly enough, we never had a water bottle spill. Drink spills at snack time and breakfast are a different story! I have a built in snack time in the afternoon, however some kiddos who ate breakfast at home (around 6:30 to get to morning daycare or the bus) were hungry by 10 and lunch wasn't til 11:30. So, small snacks were allowed as long as it was something they could eat while they worked.

That was the case in one grade level in particular at my school this past year. The teachers went to the PTA and asked for the sport bottles with a school logo on them. No more crinkling bottles!

31. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

Water bottles at any time of the day and a healthy snack during a designated snack time in the morning!

32. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 2, 2009

I don't allow them during most days. Exceptions are when I provide drink/snack for a specific purpose.

I think I would be ok with water bottles as long as they were the reusable sport cap kind. I've had a spill (which ended up on MY just completed lesson plans on my desk) in my room and it was not a pretty picture.

I have tile in my room, and it's a long way to the fountain. So I could be flexible, but I don't think my grade level colleagues would be (they have carpet in their rooms). They only cave when there is a medical reason to back it up, and then it's often with grumbling...oh well.

I'm surprised with how many snackers there are! I don't think I was ever allowed to have snack as a student after Kindergarten.

My school also received a fresh fruits & veggies grant for the past 2 years. All students received a healthy snack at least 2-3 days a week. I don't know if we'll have it again. (My colleagues even complained about this...)

33. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2009

was this question if you allowed for aides?? that's how I answered. :(
    Sorry.

34. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2009

In the beginning, we have snack together. Then, as students become more independent, they eat snack whenever they are hungry. They are allowed 1 snack per day. It must be healthy. We review why we would need snack and how cookies is full of empty calories, blah blah blah in the first days of school. It must also be "neat" and not require utensils (yogurt).
    I only allow water as a drink. They keep it on a shelf away from the table. They can drink whenever they want but I find they rarely drink out of them. Just having the option is enough!

35. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2009

I let them have water, and then they have a small, healthy snack about 11:00 in the morning. Lunch is at 12:15. I am sending out a "what is appropriate, what is not" letter this year. It is important to let the kids snack because they need energy and don't need to be focusing on their hunger more than their work. They must work during snack as well.

As for water spills, I had maybe one in five years.

36. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2009

Well, I meant if you had them in your classroom for students- but if you answered for aides I guess that is okay :) no biggie!

I was just curious about what others did in their rooms. :whistle:

37. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 2, 2009

Here's what I did last year:

Water bottles were allowed, as long as they stayed closed unless the student was actually drinking and they didn't play with the bottles. Unfortunately, I had one child who thought that full water bottles made great weapons, so I had to disallow them for a while until he was moved elsewhere. Snacks were occasional, and ONLY after lunch (noon). All of my kids were very low-income, and many of them (and their parents) actually thought that chips & soda were healthy choices, so I generally ended up purchasing snacks. We had cupcakes 3 times - Halloween, Christmas, and Valentine's Day.

I plan to do the same this year, but to model correct usage more, and I'll (try to) emphasize the "healthy" for snacks. The only drink will be bottled water. It works well, because I have a bathroom in my classroom.

Oh, and while I don't have aides, I AM diabetic, so I will always have a bottled water or juice somewhere close by. I've never had a principal object, and I explain it all to my students very carefully. ("Mrs. W is a diabetic, and that means that sometimes my sugar gets low. When that happens, I may need to drink a bottle of juice from my refrigerator to make me feel better. You need to know, though, that when my sugar is low, I get very, very angry, very very fast, so you'll have to be extra good!" LOL) Actually, the kids are great.

38. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

Heya Everyone! :)

Quick question re: water bottles!

Our school policy (as is written in the Parent-Student Handbook) encourages the children to have water bottles on their desks.

I have no issue with this, especially in the after recess and PE hours as it's hot out there! :)

My question is: Would you allow your children to "refill" their water bottle? I have a water fountain in my classroom, but I also have a class of thirty thirsty students and we all KNOW how long nd graders like to take at the water fountain! ;-)

Last year I had a semi-working schedule where I would tell the children to fill up their bottles on the recess yard after lunch (as the recess yard has several water fountains). This year, however, recess is in the morning time, around 9:45 AM.

I agree that it is important to stay hydrated. Our specials are in the afternoon and several of the teachers expressed concern about how often the kids needed the bathroom etc. I try to tell them to go before specials, but we only have one bathroom in our room and 30 kids. To ensure all 30 use the bathroom would take a LONG time and lots of monitoring for me. Before, I could have my assistant monitor the bathroom situation, but due to budget cuts there are no assistants in second grade this year!

Any and all advice would be awesome! :)

Thanks so much!!

39. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2009

Maybe when you come back from lunch? Or when you take a bathroom break? My water fountains are not in my room, so this is when I do it.

40. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

I teach K so we have a designated snack time. I also have a frig in the room and kids are allowed to bring in water bottles to store if they choose!

41. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

Last year I started having a snack break in the afternoon about a month into the school year (approved by the P). We were having issues with the school lunch program...not a lot of food/choices, and they started charging kids for seconds, so many were not allowed to have them (those on free/reduced lunch). So many of my students started complaining about being hungry after lunch that the P and I agreed to try having snack break. It worked out well, and the younger grades were jealous of my class. I also allowed water bottles. I only had problems with a few students (for instance, crinkling the bottles). I would just remind them that it was a privilege that could be lost.