Other People's Responses

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by jen12, Oct 3, 2009.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Oct 3, 2009

Do you ever find that sometimes being a teacher means more to the other people in your life than it does to you yourself?

For example: I have a friend, who, whenever we're someplace together and someone asks what I do for a living, he jumps in with "she's a teacher" before I can take a breath to answer on my own. On one hand, yes, there's a pride in the profession, but since I only recently received my credential after a career change and since I'm subbing, I don't always feel like "a teacher." Often I feel like a babysitter, or still a teacher-in-training putting in my dues. When you tell someone you're a teacher, it opens up the next question of, "what grade do you teach." As a sub, I have to explain that I'm subbing, that teaching jobs are scarce here, blah blah blah.

Even when I finally finished my courses, I found that family and friends were more excited about the whole thing than I was at that point. I was simply exhausted.

Then, there's the "summers off" and "only work until 3" myth...anyway, do you ever find yourself up against others' romanticized ideas of the profession?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2009

We get paid more than we're worth...

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2009

I call myself a 'professional educator'. Kind of leaves 'em thinking...

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2009

I don't care much what others think.

Everyone, for better or worse, has an opinion of teaching. And nothing I can say in a quick conversation is going to convince them that they're wrong.

Teaching is part of who I am. If it's not something you can respect, then either we won't be spending much time together or we'll have to limit our conversation to other topics.

6. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Oct 3, 2009

I have a family member who always makes the comments about how teachers have it SO easy and the summers and blah blah blah. Makes me want to throw up even thinking of her. She popped in one day and saw my rolling cart with everything I needed to do and hasn't made another comment.

7. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Oct 3, 2009

Well said, Alice! :thumb:

8. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Oct 3, 2009

:yeahthat:

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2009

I have an aunt (whom I love dearly) that always told people I was a teacher, even when I was subbing- which irked me for the same reason- then I would get the "what grade do you teach" question and I had to explain the situation so I didn't seem to be rudely ignoring them.
    I do agree with Alice though, it's part of who I am- if people have a problem with it, it's usually not someone I spend a large amount of time with anyway!

10. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Oct 4, 2009

I am proud of being a teacher, and when people introduce me as a teacher I (and I believe that person) am proud to be know as a teacher. Teaching is a noble job.

11. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Oct 4, 2009

In Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind, Shunryu Suzuki makes an observation something like this:

"Visitors to the Soto school see the Buddhist monks mediate and believe they are doing something special. The monks are meditating as they do every day; they are sitting. This is nothing special. "

When I was a young man in the Army I worked on tactical thermonukes most days of the week. It was what our unit did and it did not seem special. Every once in a while I will be relating a story that involves this tangentially and it completely derails my narrative; the eyes get wide and the questions start. I have since learned to subtly step around the topic because others find it interesting than I did/do.

12. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2009

I think people make those comments because they could never see themselves teaching and they are in awe! I get the same thing: "You're a teacher? Wow! How do you do it with all those kids?" So, in a way it's a compliment.

13. MissEducation

MissEducation Companion

Oct 26, 2009

I get both flattered and annoyed by the comment "I could never be a teacher." In some ways, people mean it as a compliment like, "Wow, your job requires a lot of compassion and patience." On the other hand, some people have said things like, "I would have just smacked that kid!" I don't find those comments helpful. In a way it's almost like a veiled criticism of the educational system itself and a jab at me for working under it. That said, I try not to be too sensitive over it because life's too short to spend it mad or annoyed. :)

14. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Oct 27, 2009

I know what you mean, Miss Education. It's like those people who "jokingly" say those who can do, those who can't teach...

I spent ten years in corporate human resources. In that environment, if two employees had an altercation, I had first check files for previous similar incidents, then call them both in for separate, documented interviews to find out both sides of the story. Then call in all witnessess to document what they saw. Then I had to talk to the employees' supervisors and sometimes even their managers to tell everyone what was going on. Then, I'd have to do a write up, send it to Legal for approval in case someone sues for getting called on the carpet at work, and get signatures and then stick everything in a file in case it happened again.

When two kids have an altercation, I pull them both aside, find out what happened, make the aggressor apologize and 15 minutes later the kids are playing together again as if nothing ever happened.

Which way actually accomplishes something?

15. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 28, 2009

And then that smart@$$ woody allen:| had to add,
    "and those that can't teach, teach gym." Funny it was but I can teach about almost anything and have.