Other jobs I could do with a degree in education

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sabrina_G, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Sabrina_G

Sabrina_G Rookie

Apr 14, 2019

I’ve been able to pass 3 out of the 4 required certification tests in my state. For my overall core subjects test I’ve been having trouble with the math and mainly social studies subtests. Those are the only 2 sub tests I need to get my teaching certificate. I’m on a emergency permit and I’m running out of time before they won’t renew my contract. I’ve been feeling discouraged that I probably won’t ever pass those 2 little subtests. I still have a few more attempts but it’s just more money and embarrassing explanations. I was just wondering if anyone knows what other options there are for jobs in having a degree in education? I’m just really bummed because I love teaching but i can’t keep doing it if I can’t pass the test. I would still love to do something in the education field but some other job alternatives still require teaching cerificates and experience. Any other job suggestions to look into would help me!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 14, 2019

I don't know what state you are in, but if embarrassed about not passing these exams, simply don't mention that you are taking them. That may relieve some of the stress. The state only needs to know when you pass, not how many attempts to pass. If the district is pushing, I would find out what date is their "must pass by" date, and work from there. It is getting late in the year, and if you can't pass the exams, they will have no recourse but to follow state rules regarding your employment going forward. Knowing the date gives you an exact time frame and perhaps the push to look for all resources that you may have overlooked, in an effort to help yourself with the exams.

If you can provide more information about the exact tests and the scores and feedback, TeacherGroupie can probably provide some useful study guides and resources that may help you get over this hurtle.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Apr 17, 2019

I just wouldn't mention it. I had to take social studies twice and only just passed computers/technology.

5. HN3

HN3 Rookie

Apr 23, 2019

I encourage you to post a prayer request in the Prayer Request Forum near the bottom the Forum index page. I wanted to PM you but do not have that option.

Don't give up, you only have two sub tests to take. Pray, study and take practice tests under simulated conditions (since you have taken these before: time constraint, pressure, etc.). If you can't find practice tests to take, make them up yourself using what you remember from the tests you have taken.

You have my prayers.