Other jobs for teachers?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by shoreline02, May 7, 2010.

1. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

May 7, 2010

What other jobs are there for teachers? Besides substituting, I have heard of teaching GED classes, Sylvan Learning Centers, and Kids Peace. What other career options are there?

3. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

May 8, 2010

Since I graduated with my undergrad in teaching English, I have worked in a summer camp for at-risk kids taking college credit classes, a gas station, an independent bookstore as a bookseller and later floor manager (not as fun as I expected), a kindergarten/school age teacher in a corporate daycare, and a para/tutor in my present workplace, where I was just promoted to full-time English teacher for next year.
    Get in however you can and make yourself indispensable!

I always thought working for a publishing company would be fun, too.

4. bizess

bizess Rookie

Aug 1, 2010

I've been working at Sylvan for about a year and a half now because I'm having trouble getting something full-time. Keep in mind, Sylvan's part-time and doesn't pay all that great. But it'll keep your teaching muscles strong, that's for sure.

5. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 1, 2010

I have worked as a nanny, in a daycare, and as a waitress. Why waitressing was amazing because I mad elots of money, I hated waiting on people and having to deal with them all the time. I worked at that job until I got my present teaching job and had to move away. I would stay working in a school because thats how lots of people make connections and get jobs. If your strapped for cash then you could pick something else up like waitressing or working at a store part time to make some extra cash.

6. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Aug 2, 2010

I waitressed too and I also worked as a sub. I was only able to get subbing 2-3 times per week, but between waitressing & subbing, I made enough money. It wasn't the greatest combination of jobs, but the reason why it was good was because I was still able to go on job interviews throughout the year. If I got called, I just didn't accept a subbing job & if I had to waitress that day and it was a conflict, I just found another employee at the restaurant to cover my shift. What's good about retail/restaurant jobs is if you can't make it to work, you just ask another employee to work for you and nobody will care that you don't come to work as long as your shift is covered. But if you work a 9 to 5 job, it could be much harder to go on interviews!

7. KateL

KateL Habitué

Aug 2, 2010

I worked in outdoor education at a nature center. I also sent resumes everywhere I could think of, and Study Island and a local museum called me for interviews, but I had already found a teaching job by then.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2010

Museums are probably a good place to start. As are camps-- they DO employ people year round, though obviously not as many as during the summer.

9. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Aug 2, 2010

I worked for the YWCA in a before and after school program. I was the site coordinator for a school. It allowed me to come up with different programs and activities for the kids. It was full time in the summer and part time during the school year. The pay wasn't great, but at least it was still working in a school with children.

10. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2010

I worked for a church as a Christian Education and Youth director. It was like being the principal of a Sunday School as well as working with the youth taking trips, etc. It was part time so I could sub at the same time. Pay was pretty decent.

11. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 2, 2010

I also applied before I got my current job working for a state funded program in IL with children. I got called twice for interviews. I had a phone interview but I didnt get that position since I wasnt qualifed but they called me back 2 weeks later and asked if I wanted another job but I was moving away so I couldnt take it. I would search and find out about things like that. I was going to make anywhere from 12-20 dollar a hour working for the state so something like that is an option and its working with kids.