Other interests???

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Margo, May 14, 2003.

1. Margo

Margo Devotee

May 14, 2003

I know everyone who visits this site lives, breathes, eats and sleeps school. But when you have free time (???????) what do you do to relax. We always chat about school related items. But we may have some very common interests that don't involve education. I'd love to hear about hobbies/other interests (school stuff not aloud)

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 14, 2003

I like to travel, watch movies, & I collect snowglobes, so I love looking for those!!!!

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 14, 2003

home life

SOCCER MOM here! five days a week at the field! Finally the season is over.
    I just like technology stuff... searching web, or my own children consume most of my time with board games and outdoor fun.

BM
    before motherhood, before marriage,
    I LOVED the outdoors, every holiday i would go backpacking, hiking, climbing, paddling... I used to read at least 1 book a week. I also played the flute for 15 years. havent played for many and miss the state of mind i was getting into while playing for over an hour or two... mmmmmmm sigh

MOVIE fan here, only dont ask me about any that arent g or pg. maybe pg13 on occassion! I use my old student ID and pay student rates because its NOT cheap.Also, we have season tickets to University of Miami hurricanes football.

:eek:

5. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

May 14, 2003

I like backpacking, too, but we don't get to go that often. We have all the gear for it. Last summer I really enjoyed camping in Yellowstone -- no backpacking, though, and we scheduled a day in a real bed every 2 days or so. :D I enjoy active things.

6. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 15, 2003

so margo what are your hobbies?

????

7. Margo

Margo Devotee

May 15, 2003

I love to read, read, read as much as I can. If I don't have a book or a magazine to read in the house I feel lost. I also love to do cross stitch but it is something that I have to really be movitivated to work on. We moved into a new house about 1 1/2 years ago and we are working on landscaping it. So I am a newbie gardener. Right now I am working on establishing a butterfly garden in my back yard. No kids -- yet. We hope some day before I get too old :( . Maybe I will be able to share good news with everyone here if God ever sees fit to make us parents.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 15, 2003

Margo, You're house situation sounds just like mine. We have been working on our house... this summer hopefully putting on a deck. My stepmom told me to take a digital pic of the house because for Xmas we got her software that you can put your pics in and try different plants and flowers virtually. Good Luck with the landscaping and your other "project"!!!

9. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 16, 2003

monthly visit

i have annual pass to disney, in orlando. we visit at least once a month

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 16, 2003

cross-stitch, scrapbooking, watching college football with good marching bands (I'll always be a proud band geek!)

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 16, 2003

I, too, love to read, read, read. I can't wait to have the extra days to indulge myself. Sounds dumb, but I love my pets (makes up for my rotten teens) and like to spend time with them. I will be tutoring 3 days a week - my schedule's almost full. But Mondays and Fridays will be spent reading, thrift shopping for treasures, and swimming.

Margo - plant Pentas for the butterflies. They love them.

12. Margo

Margo Devotee

May 16, 2003

My pets are my life too. Since I don't have kids my three cats are my babies. They know it too. Spoiled rotten. One will meow at me if I forget to leave the toilet lid open so he can drink. Another will only drink from the bathroom faucet. At least the oldest will drink from her bowl.

Diznee, what is the software that you are speaking of. I have heard of programs available to lay out your yard but don't know the names of any. Would you recommend this program for us? Does your stepmom like it?

13. Guest

Guest Guest

May 18, 2003

SCRAPBOOKING!!!
    (But I'm usually using pictures of my students)

14. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

May 19, 2003

My favorite thing to do is to take myself to lunch and sit and read for about an hour--so relaxing--sometimes it's nice to be alone and have someone wait on you. I only get to do it about once a month though.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 20, 2003

Margo, I haven't really asked my step mom how she likes it. We did get it at Sam's Club. The next time I visit I'll find out the name of the software for you.

16. Margo

Margo Devotee

May 20, 2003

I'd appreciate that.

17. chalkdust

chalkdust Rookie

Jun 1, 2003

...read, read, read! Spend time with my kiddos. A little gardening (veggies and flowers). Technology stuff, too...love learning new things to do on PC.

18. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 1, 2003

I just realized, I haven't gotten around to telling my interests...

I love going to antique stores and traveling (when I can afford to go). Instead of stopping at rest stops along the way, I look for antiques malls. They have restrooms and usually coke machines. It is a great way to stretch your legs and ease your eyes on a long trip. I've hit some great ones between Alabama and Cincinnati (I have a penpal that I've had since 10th grade that lives up there... gee that was 14 years ago, I think... that's another long story :) ) One summer I ran up on a HUGE on between Cincinnati and Toledo on my way to visit a cousin in Michigan. OH, and then there is a town call Walnut, Iowa... NEATEST LITTLE ANTIQUE STORE TOWN! I collect angels, but my parents collect Hull/Regal Little Red Riding Hood pieces (cookie jars and accessories) and they've calmed down on their miscellaneous old cookie jars collection. Dad used to collect Occuppied Japan colonial couples. I LOVE ANTIQUE MALLS AND STORES!

I enjoy lots of movie and killing time on the computer. I figure whenever I have kids, I'll find new hobbies, but right now it is just me. :)

Lori

19. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Jun 1, 2003

I collect angels too, figurines and every Christmas I buy two new tree ornaments, one for me and one for my babysitter who helped me so much when my real 'angel' was sick. I also collect salt and pepper shakers- in my first year teaching one of my students gave me a set of seagull salt and pepper shakers and I've collected them ever since.

I also love to read, read, read so much so that I sometimes stay up all night to finish a book. Bad idea when teaching the next day- now I try not to read novels during the week. I also love knitting, crossstitch, rug hooking and gardening, although I don't get as much time for it now.