Otay..Mutt's MAD. Why don't they give administrators leadership training????

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Muttling, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Nov 5, 2009

I'm hard core on clicker systems. I run them 2 to 3 times a week and clicker grades are 15% of my course grades.

We have 2 very basic systems for my entire school and I hog one of them. (Yes, other teachers gripe and have good reason to do so. Mutt isn't known for playing well with others.)

I also have certification to teach contextual algebra so I get vocational funding. They asked what tech I wanted and I said a CLICKER system of my very own. Of course, I wanted the best gizmos in the land (Quizdom 4's).

We looked at options and I gave several alternatives. Now I get told they have ordered them for me. COOL!!!!!

Prometheans. WHAT???? We didn't even discuss this system. The clickers themselves are really nice and a step up from what we have school wide, but they don't have a slate board tells you what your kids are doing in real time. Even if we can't buy all of it this year we could have done better.

<sigh>

I am happy to have what I'm getting, I just wish they would have involved me a bit more before ordering.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2009

What's a clicker system? And what's a Promethean?

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2009

A promethian is an interactive whiteboard. It's another brand name, like Smartboard. A clicker system is a set of "voters" that electronically send students' answers to the teacher's computer.
    We used them in a PD day last week and it was quite fun!

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 6, 2009

How is not getting the product you wanted related to your admin not having leadership training?

Admins DO have leadership training.

6. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Nov 6, 2009

You seem to have an abundance of technology in your room, so I certainly wouldn't complain about the brand that they are. At least you have it.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2009

Prometheans aren't exactly the same as Smartboards, but they're similar. Prometheans aren't touch-sensitive like Smartboards.

There ARE slates for Prometheans. You might want to look into getting one.

8. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Nov 6, 2009

How about not involving your people in a decision concerning the expenditure of funds for the equipment they will be using? How is it good leadership to not involve the end user of the equipment in the purchasing decision?

I spent 15 years doing project management in the private sector. I did make a lot of decisions my people didn't like, but I never failed to ask them.

It's more than brand, it's functionality and features. We could have spent LESS money and gotten more functionality/ features if they had simply asked me.

As I said previously, I AM happy to have it and I use these systems like no one else in our district. I am simply disappointed as we could have gotten more for less $.

9. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Nov 6, 2009

They do have slates and I will be researching them for future grant requests.

However, the eInstruction Mobi and the Quizdom Q7 slates have LCDs on them. You can see what students have clicked in, see how individual students are scoring, and students have a help button that allows them to ask you for help without identifying themselves to other students. All in real time.

I haven't seen a Promethean slate with any of these features. Do they have one that I'm not aware of?

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2009

I use Promethean products but I am not aware of a slate with the features you would like. And for the record, I understand your frustration. You can be appreciative but annoyed at the same time. :)

11. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2009

You were lucky you were consulted AT ALL. In our district, we get what they give us.

Like I was telling my students the other day when we had to have the "old" laptop cart and they were complaining.... many kids don't have 8 carts of laptops that teachers can bring into the classrooms, so they should be thankful for those macbooks, even if they are older than the ones on the other carts.

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 6, 2009

13. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Nov 6, 2009

To me true consultation means that if you ask for someone's opinion and you choose to ignore it that you talk to them about WHY prior to finalizing the decision and if it is a dumb decision (based on things you can't control) you fess up.

So I do think when admin doesn't listen to the opinion of teachers for whom they are buying equipment they are showing poor leadership.

Our tech department is HORRIBLE when it comes to doing things that schools ask. Sometimes I feel like yelling that we are here to serve kids not computers. They refuse perfectly reasonable requests ALL THE TIME!!! So IF my P had to go with a decision that was dumb (b/c tech insisted on it) I'd expect her to admit that she didn't agree with it but that tech trumped the school on this. Anything less is dishonest and that would be poor leadership.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2009

We don't have one laptop cart. :(

15. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Nov 7, 2009

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2009

You've mentioned that there are 2 systems in your school and that you "hog one."

Maybe some of the other teachers had input that didn't match yours? And the principal went with their opinion, on the assumption that the system you have is working well enough for you?

Me not getting what I want does NOT automatically translate into poor administrative decision making.

17. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Nov 8, 2009

As I mentioned above, I know that not to be true as everyone was surprised at his choice and the 2 systems we have are both eInstruction systems.

The point other teachers had made (and a good one) was to go with another eInstruction so they would be familiar with the software. However, I'm the only vocational teacher who currently uses clickers and this is being bought by the vocational department. If I don't teach any vocational classes next year, the equipment will be transferred to a vocational teacher and will not go to a regular ed teacher.