Oscars

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scmom, Mar 7, 2010.

1. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2010

IMO the production is booorrrring...even worse than usual. They cut off people's thank you speaches and do stupid "bits" instead. Not sure why I am still watching I think it is so bad. What do you think?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 7, 2010

I think Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin are a riot. I wish there was more of them.

I loved Monique's acceptance speech.

I missed the first hour. Otherwise, I think they are keeping up the pace better than most years.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 7, 2010

I agree-Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin are awesome. Their opening was hilarious.

I wish I knew the story behind Monique's speech-can you fill me in, Upsadaisy?

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 7, 2010

I guess you didn't watch the Barbara Walters interview before the Oscars, right? Well, Monique's story is that she lived through hell growing up, suffering sexual abuse from a much older brother. She believes that there are people like the character she played all over, and that many others have elements of that monster in them.

She is married to her old close friend from when she was 14 or 15, and they have twin boys (at least I think they are from this marriage). He was always infatuated with her.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 7, 2010

Ohhhh, I always cry when they show the shots of all the people in the business who passed away during the year. And with James Taylor singing..... so touching.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2010

I'm watching! I :love: Steve and Alec hosting! They are a hit!! Monique's speech was very touching and I"m so glad to have seen her win it. And I'm with you Daisy, James Taylor's singing tribute to those that died was also very moving.

this dancing bit here is boooooring me though.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 7, 2010

Yeah, I'm not watching it, I'm playing a game on the computer.

9. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2010

I agree I really like the hosts this year ! So funny!

Dance was boring...Dont they usually have the best original songs sung during the show ..I havent heard one

10. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Mar 7, 2010

The Legion of Extrodinary Dancers IMO are freaking amazing! I was brought to tears when I saw their performance on So You Think You Can Dance to the Vitamin String Quartet version of Yellow by Coldplay. If you don't know about LXD, youtube the SYTYCD performance!

Anyway! I just want to know who got movie of the year..b/c Inglorious Bastards is easily in my top 10 favorite movies of all time.....which is why my FAV moment of the evening is hearing the line.....Uber Bingo! It made me spit out my drink and laugh!

I also thought it funny that Neil Patrick Harris can sing better than the horrors of American Idol.

Meh..it's another award show... lol

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 7, 2010

I loved the shot of AB and SM in their Snuggies!

12. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2010

I'm enjoying the Baldwin-Martin combo. I wish there was more of them, too.

I think they did away with presenting the best song category this year. I would think we would have seen...heard...the majority of them now.

The memoriam tribute left out Farrah Fawcett. :(

Ben Stiller was hilarious!

And I'm hoping to see Sandra Bullock win!

13. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2010

fast chalks film won! Yay Argentina!!

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 7, 2010

I thought the dancing was set to the songs. No?

15. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2010

I think the dancing was set to the scores...hmm...

16. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2010

Just looked it up, the dancers danced to the scores and the best song was presented by Miley Cyrus and Amanda Seyfried early in the show...a song from Crazy Heart won.

17. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 8, 2010

I loved Sandra's speech too. She said her mother would have hated her to cry that people got up there and said this was the best moment of my life and she used to be like-better than the birth of your kids! I thought she was funny but also very heartfelt.

I was glad Monique won too-I think the person she portrayed was so different from her actual persona, that's really good acting. I actually thought it was better than the past few years and I'm not a big Steve Martin fan.

18. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Mar 8, 2010

I actually never watch the show but Steve and Alex had me hooked at the start. I couldn't wait to see them. The snuggies was hilarious!!!

Monique was interesting on BW beforehand. She has an open mariage and talked about how they are best friends. I'm not sure I could be that open but good for her! I love her!

19. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2010

I haven't sat through any TV awards in over 20 years and for some reason...I did it this time!

I, too, agree that Martin and Baldwin were hilarious!!!

And while I can't give you a word-by-word account, I was surprised that the show got away with all their subtle remarks concerning "black, whites, Jews" etc...Anyone else pick up on it?

20. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2010

I liked Martin and Baldwin for the most part. What's the point of wasting time on a Salute to Horror films? Yeah, the clips are fun to watch, but so what?

As a former TV writer, I rather enjoyed how they introduced the nominees for writing by reading a bit from the actual script.