Ornament Obsessed Cat!!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by JenPooh, Dec 6, 2006.

1. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2006

Anyone else have cats? I have two. My older one, Taz, is almost 6 years old. PERFECT cat, doesn't do anything wrong except chew on shoelaces, loves attention and cuddles. Then there is our kitten, Socks. She is about 9 months old. She is very affectionate and cuddly as well, but quite a handful. We thought we'd have a lot of problems with our Christmas tree with her, but as it turns out she is only obsessed with the ornaments on it. She takes them off...the ones she can get to, and places them in a pile on the living room floor and hoardes them! WHAT THE!?!?:eek: Nutty cat! While the kids were at the table doing activities today I heard a "jingle jingle" in the living room and what do I see? Socks taking an ornament off and placing it in a pile of 4-5 ornaments already off the tree. She doesn't destroy them, she just takes them off and places them in a pile. GRRR! She does the same thing with dirty socks that sit in the laundry area in the basement. She drags them up through the cat door and scatters them throughout the house. Anyone want a cat? LOL! Just kidding. She's a stinker, but I do love her to pieces.:love:

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 6, 2006

Mine does the same thing. He's 2. He takes the ones he can reach and hides them behind the couch so that he can go back and get them to play with while we're sleeping. Luckily he doesn't jump at the tree and try to get the ones he can't reach. He's a little nuts and the first year we had him I was afraid of him knocking the tree over.
    We don't have our tree yet this year, but he's thing this year has been the garland that's hung around one of the doorways in my living room. Every morning I wake up and a new section of it is gone from the bottom! Trouble maker!

4. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2006

Beth, if yours is two that doesn't give me much hope for her calming down anytime soon! LOL!

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 6, 2006

Well, the vet. told my boyfriend and I that ours would calm down once we got him "fixed" and the testosterone levels in his system diminished. Well...he was neutered when he was 6 months old (a year and half ago!) and he's still crazy. He's gotten a little bit better, but not much. He used to jump up into the mini blinds on the windows...I have NO IDEA why...and many times they would end up broken. I was literally buying them 2 or 3 sets at a time for a few months and considered getting rid of him. Luckily he grew out of it!

6. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Dec 6, 2006

A cat I used to have:( , Fireball, would actually climb up the tree to shake the branches and knock the ornaments off. My girl now, Holly, used to take the small ornaments and hide them. My mom had a set of 10 ornaments and we still can't find one of them... 5 years later!!!:D Holly won't have the ornaments to get to this year since I won't have a tree (will go to my mom's) but she sure did have fun while I was wrapping my nieces gifts...lol:love: .

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2006

OH, my little one is currently sleeping under the tree on the tree skirt, but give her till about 3 am and she will be jingling the ornaments all over and waking us up:eek:

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 6, 2006

I don't have a cat (sorry to jump in here), but my Kirby sounds like these guys. He's 7 now, and doesn't touch the ornaments on the tree. When I was putting up the tree last week, he was laying calmly on the couch watching me. I was pulling the bulbs out of their package when the phone rang. When I come back, he's standing at the edge of the carpet looking at me. Clearly he has something in his mouth. You guessed it. It was one of the small glass ornaments. Luckily he's trained to drop whatever he has when we say the word trade.

This is also the first year we've put presents under the tree. We don't trust him, but decided to give it a try. Two days after we had put the first set under it, he's crawled under the tree playing with a box that jingles (it has an ornament inside that has a bell on it). He really likes to unwrap things, so hopefully the rest of our presents will stay intact.

9. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Dec 6, 2006

I have a new puppy and we have to put a gate around our tree or she'll eat it! I know this wouldn't work for a cat because it would jump the gate. I don't know what will happen when we get to my parents' for Christmas and the tree isn't gated in - those ornaments will be in for a treat!

Have you read "The Cat that Climbed the Christmas Tree" or something like that? We started reading that today in my class and this reminds me of that...

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2006

I have a new kitten as well- We'll be puttting up our tree this weekend and have fears of him climbing it (he clmbs my ficus tree). I'll keep you posted.

11. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Dec 6, 2006

Oh boy can I relate to this! As am I am reading these posts, my cat 1.5 year old, is perched at the edge of our couch watching the tree because our tree rotates! I have to say she is very good about not really bothering the ornaments but there is one particular ornament that I occassionally find somewhere on the floor.

12. maroki

maroki Comrade

Dec 6, 2006

I can relate too! We have 3 cats....two 3 year old girls and a 4 month old kitten. The older cats have been around trees before and aren't interested in them or ornaments....just the presents and the ribbon underneath. ;)

Our new kitten, though, is a handful. She never stops running around the tree and she is little enough she burrows her way through the piles of presents and hides under the tree. She also bats at all the ornaments, but she doesn't intentionally knock them off the tree.

She is crazy about toys though and MUST have them scattered around the house at all times. I swear she has a 6th sense that tells her that her toys are being cleaned up and put away in her basket (even when she is sleeping) and she'll come and knock the basket over and scatter them everywhere!!

13. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Dec 6, 2006

When my kitty was a kitten, about 5 months old, he climbed the Christmas tree and down it went! Since that traumatizing experience 7 years ago, he hasn't gone near a Christmas tree since. Now that I think back on it, that first tree was a real tree and since then I've used an artificial one. Maybe it doesn't inspire the urge to climb as much.

And he leaves the ornamaents alone! However, I can never find a pen because he likes to knock them off onto the floor, then bat them around. I find all my pens under the couch.

14. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 6, 2006

Me too!

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2006

Wow...........I'm feeling left out.......I have dogs. Does anyone besides Miss W and myself have dogs ???:p :eek: :p

16. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 6, 2006

If it makes you feel any better, this is my first cat. I've always had dogs. I love my kitty, but I really do love dogs...I think I'm just an animal person in general, but I hope to get a puppy within the next few years. :love:

17. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2006

Oh boy.......I hope I didn't make anyone think I don't like cats. I just have noticed that sooooooo many teachers on here are owned by cats......more then those of us owned by our dogs. Beth, I'm with you....I'm an animal person too.....I love animals, period.:love:

18. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 6, 2006

I am not sure how my two kitties will do with the tree, it will be their first Christmas! But my daughter has a netting over her bed, and they climb up and and swing on it! They keep pulling the hook out of the ceiling!

This does not bode well for the Christmas tree!

19. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Dec 6, 2006

Kinder, I do also have a doggie, but since I live in a condo with no yard or space for an 80 pound dog, she was adopted by my mom and dad.

My dog is the one who will eat ornaments off the tree. The bottom 1/3 of my mom's tree is always bare!

20. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2006

Kinder, if my husband had his way he'd be getting a dog for Christmas. But, since we don't have a fenced in yard I don't want to take the chance, plus, having the daycare and all I don't have the time to walk it outside to poo. If we did have a fence though, I would get a Beagle in a heartbeat!!! I have always had dogs until I met my husband. I'm also just an all around animal lover too. Anything with fur will do. I'm also afraid out older cat will go on strike if we get a dog. He didn't like it when we got our kitten for a long time. I think he'll pack a bag on a stick and leave if we bring a dog home right now. If I had the opportunity to get a beagle though, I would. I can't resist beagles and their little droopy eyes and floppy ears. :)

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2006

Jen, nothing cuter then a beagle! I grew up with them, too! I especially love the howl!!

22. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2006

Did someone mention animal lovers??? OH, that would be ME! We have the 3 cats and a real tree. I can't believe they don't mess with it. However, Klaus loves to sleep under it. He did the same thing last year. Eddie, the beautiful black cat knows how gorgeous he looks sitting under the tree on the red tree skirt. He will sit there and show off for a while and be on his merry way. Redman used to knock the ornaments off the bottom, but he is 5 now and growing up!!! My friends cat sleeps in the branches of their tree...peeking out at them. OH, my cats do the pen batting thing, too. I also save the plastic milk rings and they bat those all over the house. Gotta love them! Kinder, I LOVE dogs, but husband doesn't want one now that we are both gone all day and it was always so hard to go anywhere for even a day because we always had to be home to let the dog out! I like taking care of our son's dog on occasion. She is huge and sits on your lap and watches tv...very funny dog. My dad had a Beagle named Trixie! She was so fat and cute(kinda smelly though!,) but my favorite of the hounds is probably the Basset hounds...I heard they drool! Cute though...kinda like my husband, drools but cute!!!!

23. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 6, 2006

We have two kittens and since they are such little terrors, we haven't put up our tree yet. We always have it up the day after Thanksgiving, so it doesn't feel like Christmas yet around our house! I used to have beautiful house plants, but after the fifth one was being drug around the house by the root ball, the plants had to go outside.

There's been a bobcat wandering out in the pasture, so I won't let the kittens go outside anymore. I don't think they would wander far from the house, but I just couldn't stand it if they were hurt so I have to put up with no tree until much later in the season and no houseplants. We certainly are owned by these little guys!

24. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 8, 2006

To funny. Tucker is five years old and he has taken to knocking the snowman topper off the top of the tree. The tree is really short this year only about 2 feet tall.
    When he was a little over a yr old he would climb into the tree and all we could see was his little face. He would sleep there all day. Silly cat.
    When he was a kitten (four months old) he would run jump into the tree and climb to the top. That was a pain. We had to tie it up.
    We took to leaving the vacuum cleaner out. So if he went near the tree we would just turn it on.
    Of course he got over his fear of the vacuum. Now we can push him around the floor with the beater bar on!

25. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2006

Ok all! One of my ornaments went missing today! It's one that she is constantly taking off the tree...my son's first Christmas ornament. Hummm...I can't find it anywhere. Little Miss. Priss must have hid it somewhere.

26. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2006

We saw the cutest Beagle and Basset Hound mix at the shelter a couple month ago. It had big droppy eyes and big floppy ears and the beagle colors. It was SO DARN ADORABLE!!! I was so tempted to take it home with us.

27. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 8, 2006

We put up a miniture tree the first 2 years we had Kirby. We put it on top of a table, which he was too small to jump on at that time. Now he can jump over the back of the couch, without running.

28. musicbean

musicbean Rookie

Dec 8, 2006

My guy (3 years) will occassionally knock an ornament down, but he loves to climb up in the branches to nap. We often find him in the middle of the tree, hidden away!

29. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2006

Big Redman was gently batting at the icicles last night.

30. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2006

I hope you wont have to go looking for them tomorrow morning Grammy! ;)

31. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 9, 2006

Cyenne pepper will keep a cat out of the tree.

You could get one of those motion sensor orniments and put it where she would get scared of it if it makes noise.... but then the kids would try it too.

32. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 9, 2006

Grammy teacher, my cat loves the ring around the milk too. and the large rubber bands from the news paper, and as far as orniments go, she has been pretty good, the kids all have bells that are like the one in Polar Express and she batted at them some. She likes to sleep on the tree skirt, no presents yet. But she loves boxes, she was pushing the box from a set of lights around with her head stuck in it.

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2006

Got our tree yesterday. Put it up, filled up the water receptacle. 5 minutes later the kitten was in the tree- no ornaments or lights yet, it was kind of cute and we took pictures. He climbed out then went back up five minutes later. He tried to walk out to the end of a branch which threw off the balance of the whole tree- you guessed it, the tree tipped, cat came leaping out, tree now horizontal on floor, water leaking all over. picked it up, dried it up, put lights on, still no ornaments, cat staying away today....