Orlando

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Ms.P, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Ms.P

Ms.P Rookie

Jun 24, 2007

Hi~

I'm getting ready to go to Orlando for a few days at the beginning of July (4-8). We are going for a martial arts tournament so we will only have about one whole free day. Any recommendations for amusement parks to go to or things to do. I have never been but I know that I don't want to go Disney World or Sea World. I'm thinking Universal Studios but don't want to spend a lot on tickets if it is really not worth it. Has anyone been recently? Opinions?

Thanks.

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 24, 2007

They are ALL excellent theme parks (especially Universal Studios). You can get a pass where you can visit the main park and Islands of Adventure or just the main park for one day. Islands of Adventure is more for the roller coaster and getting wet enthusiast. Universal Studios has calmer rides, but they are most certainly not dull. E.T., Back to the Future, Twister, and others are a great deal of fun. I honestly don't think you'd regret it.

4. Ms. Jane

Ms. Jane Companion

Jun 25, 2007

Islands of Adventure is so neat and definitely worth the money. I had so much fun there. The only downside is that the lines for the rides are really long. For most of the rides you are going to have to wait (in hot Florida weather) for about an hour.

5. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jun 25, 2007

What about a waterpark? or the beach? This time of year is SO HOT there and the parks are packed. We went to Disney World this time last year and stayed at a Disney resort. We played mini golf at night, went to the waterpark or beach during the day, and lazed around our pool or shopped the rest of the time. We did not even go to the parks because the crowds make the parks miserable. (My husband was there on business so I would have had to take my child alone too.) We drove to Daytona (Ponce Inlet is nearby and so cute). We went the other way to Tampa and the beaches there. We love Disney but I refuse to go in July.

6. Ms.P

Ms.P Rookie

Jun 26, 2007

Do you think the waterparks will be busy? What waterpark did you go to? Thanks for the idea - I hadn't thought of waterparks, I was just thinking of traditional parks.

7. MsPlace

MsPlace Rookie

Jun 26, 2007

Some years ago we planned at trip to Orlando to visit family. The children decided they did not want to go to Disney World. Instead, we checked out locations listed in the back of the Disney World guide book as "alternates." We ended up doing a canoe trip at Juniper Springs. It was much cheaper and absolutely gorgeous.

Even if canoeing isn't your idea of a Florida activity, check out the back of the various guidebooks for other suggestions.

8. Ms.P

Ms.P Rookie

Jun 26, 2007

Thats another good idea. Thanks.

9. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jun 26, 2007

We go to Typhoon Lagoon. The rides are tame but the wave pool is like a tsunami every 1 1/2 minutes. They have snorkeling with sharks. The scenery is great. Disney also has Blizzard Beach. The rides are a bit wilder but everything is very white and it can be surprisingly hot. Closer into Orlando is Wet N Wild. It is your typical waterpark. I have not been but my husband has.

10. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jun 26, 2007

Universal was really great but it is pricey (but then what in Orlando isn't?), but not as much as Disney stuff. My boys (6&8) really loved it. Also the new Disney one, Animal Kingdom was a real hit. They loved those two better than Disney, Epcot, SeaWorld. Also--Busch Gardens and Islands of Adventure are great. We went in May of last year. Wet n Wild was fun also.

11. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jun 26, 2007

Hint: Go ahead and buy those spray bottles that have fans on them before you go. They are outrageously priced inside the parks. :)