Orientation with No Pay?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by lovely222, Feb 4, 2012.

1. lovely222

lovely222 Rookie

Feb 4, 2012

I was just hired at a childcare center and they are asking me to do Orientation for a week without pay? Regular hours such as 7-2 or 8-4 or something. Is this even legal? Have you ever heard of this before? Plus they want me to do a physical and have CPR training out of my own pocket. Please give me your advice on this.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2012

Just my opinion...I would run to the nearest exit.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2012

Do you get paid by the hour?

New teachers in my school attend orientation. There's no extra pay involved. We sign a contract with an annual salary on it, and for new teachers those 3 days are part of the work year. It's well worth it; they leave the orientation so much better prepared for what they'll face than had they missed it.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 4, 2012

Do you have insurance? That should pay for the physical. Or if you've had a physical in the last year get your dr. to just fill out the form. CPR training is always good.

Are you an hourly employee? If so, I agree with swan. Run as fast as you can.

If you are salaried, I agree with Alice.

6. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Feb 4, 2012

Run!
    I always got paid during orientation when I worked in childcare, and I was salaried. Something is not right here!
    You will have to have a physical when you are hired for any teaching job, it's usually the law in most states.

7. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Feb 4, 2012

I had this once for a tutoring company...I elected not to go back, it was shaddy to me.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2012

Our school contract runs from July 1 to June 30, even though we work September to June. Our new teachers attend a four day orientation at the end of August just before school starts. It's part of the hiring process...they aren't paid additionally for that training.

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2012

I think it is pretty common to have to pay for your physical and CPR by yourself, but better companies reimburse employees. One director told me she didn't reimburse because she had been burned a couple of times by paying for it and then the employee didn't start or only stayed a couple of days.

Shop around for CPR - you should be able to find some are a little cheaper than others and physicals are good for a year.

As to orientation, I agree with the above posters. If you are on salary, that may be true but I don't know many ece people who are on salary unless it is through a school district. I have had to do a couple of hours here and there but a whole week seems excessive.

10. cml88

cml88 Companion

Feb 4, 2012

ohhh boy! definitely forget that place...paying for your training as well as CPR?? that's crazy!

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 4, 2012

I don't think it is legal for them to ask you to go to training without pay (if you are salaried, that is totally different)). I do know of some places that pay you a lower rate during training, but they do pay you.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 4, 2012

I think unpaid orientation for 1 day would be ok, but anything longer is not! A week? definitely no.

If you job requires you to have a CPR, I can see that you have to pay for it, but I have never ever heard of any company making you pay for a physical. One of the components of a physical is drug testing, and I'm sure the company wants to make sure that it is legit. If you pay for it, who knows? But like I said I have never had a company ask me to pay for physical, and any job descriptions I have seen stated that it's employer paid.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2012

I don't see a problem with them asking you to pay for the physical or CPR.

I also don't think that it's illegal for them to ask you to participate in orientation for a week without pay. You can always say no if you don't want to do it.

As others have mentioned, it's common for first-year teachers to work a few extra days without additional pay applied to their base salaries. Even so, their salaries are kicking in from that very first day, so they're not technically working without pay. They just make a little less than teachers with more experience in the district.

With that having been said, I wouldn't be in any hurry to work anywhere, orientation or otherwise, for a week without pay. If this is an hourly position, or if the salary won't start until post-orientation, I'd walk away from this position.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 4, 2012

When I worked at a center I was paid my hourly wage for the orientation.

I paid for my initial CPR and first aid training, since my hiring was dependent on me aquiring these. However, when it was time for me to re-certify my center paid for it.

15. lovely222

lovely222 Rookie

Feb 4, 2012

Info

Hi. I saw this question come up a few times. It is an hourly position. I am thinking that I should run from this one.

16. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2012

I think it is also important to remember that most ece jobs pay significantly less than regular school jobs so it is harder to justify wanting them to do very many hours for free.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2012

Do you have another job lined up?

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 4, 2012

I'm sure in my lifetime by now, I've been hired for a job where I didn't get paid for the orientation, so I don't personally see it as a big deal. And if youre talking legally, I don't know. Maybe by law they have to pay you if it's considered training, not the orientation. However, maybe certain companies get around not paying their people by calling it an "orientation" when it's really a training. We all know how businesses can change the wording/terms of things due to legalities.

19. lovely222

lovely222 Rookie

Feb 4, 2012

czacza yea I do have another job that I am going for a 2nd interview for on wed; however it is not in the education field but it is something that I can do while I am getting certified. Ms. I, you definitely have a point there.

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2012

I worked for a school district's preschool/after school/summer school program. I was paid hourly as an instructional assistant. We were required to earn several hours of PD each year and CPR certification, all of which we were paid for. However, I had to pay for my TB test every two years. A physical was also required, but I somehow got lost in the shuffle and didn't have one. If I would have, I would have had to pay. When I was hired, there was no orientation. However, a few year later when I left, they had reached a point of asking potential employees to volunteer for a few hours a few days to determine if a) the potential employee had, well, potential, and b) if the potential employee was still interested after time in the trenches, so to speak. Too many duds had wasted our time and energy. This is not the same as an orientation, of course, but I think it's a hoop and you have to decide if it's worth jumping. I don't think it would necessarily make me run...

As a new hire as a certified teacher, I had a one day orientation. Technically the year had not started, but I didn't care a bit. Plus, my district feeds us well! ;)

21. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Feb 5, 2012

If it is a typical child care center where you are paid hourly, I would walk away. That is not industry standard. We are already underpaid. Most good child care centers worth anything will pay for all training and CPR as well.

22. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Feb 6, 2012

Okay, but there is a difference between a few hours or a day, and a whole week of working for free. That stretches the boundaries of what is appropriate for a job she probably would be earning less than $15 an hour.

23. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 14, 2012

How about if you are working as a sub at a center? You are required to pay for your own physical and CPR/First Training.

24. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 14, 2012

Personally, as someone with out benefits, I think getting a physical for $75- or $90- is a lot to ask of someone that they are then going to pay $10/ hour.

When I was subbing, I did not have benefits and of the 4 or 5 districts I subbed in, none of them ever asked for a physical and 3 of them offered CPR/First Aid free to take after work though it was not mandatory.

25. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 14, 2012

Well I will be getting the physical done at my school's health center. I will have to pay $20. I think I will have to pay more if I get it done at a doctor's office. I am glad to be a student in this regard.:thumb:

I do agree nobody should be forced to pay $75 in health fees, if their salary is so low.

26. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 14, 2012

Oh, that is a good point, I didn't think about still be a student and having access to a health center, I think $20- is reasonable, that would be a co pay if you had insurance anyway.

27. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 14, 2012

Lovely, how did you make out? did you decide to go to the orientation?

28. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 14, 2012

I did a little digging around: According to the DOL website, they have to pay you for required training. This would be covered under work obligations for salaried employees without additional compensation, but hourly workers would have to be paid for their time.

The issue of the physical and the CPR training is a little bit more ambiguous. On one page they state that certifications required for employment are compensable expenses, but on another page it says that if the training could be used for alternate employment it doesn't have to be paid by the employer.

So, the bottom line is that they are engaging in illegal activities by failing to pay you for the orientation time, regardless if that time was one hour, one day, or one week.

29. teachyourkids

teachyourkids Rookie

Feb 15, 2012

It doesn't sound like a good situation. I mean a whole week of unpaid work? No way!

30. lovely222

lovely222 Rookie

Mar 1, 2012

Hi

Hi Everyone. Thanks for all the advice. I decided to talk to them about the training and I was paid for my time.

31. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Mar 1, 2012

That's good to hear! Glad you advocated for yourself.

32. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

Mar 3, 2012

If you're required to go, they have to pay you.