Organizing

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Andrea L, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jun 24, 2008

I know that I read a thread about organization and filing cabinets. I remember that someone said if they hadn't used it in the past two years, they threw it out. My question is this: Were you afraid of throwing things away from a different grade level that you taught? I have a lot of fourth grade things from four years ago and I'm planning on switching districts in the next couple of years. I'm not sure which grade I'll be teaching when I move. Should I keep my fourth grade stuff or just toss it? I thought about putting it in boxes and labeling it in case I need it in the future. One thing I do know is that I'm out of filing cabinet room because of all my fourth grade stuff.
    :thanks:

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 24, 2008

Scan what you can and save it to a flash drive! Then you can evaluate everything else to see if you need it or can take a picture/write a description of it. For the actual "stuff" I would limit it to a crate and sell the rest on EBay. Chances are that you will want/need new stuff or the school will have enough to supplement what you have.

4. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Jun 24, 2008

I moved to a school that had less resources so I am personally glad that I kept a lot of my things from other grades. I only have one drawer in my cabinet that is gradelevel based because I like to move around the grades every few years. I set up language arts and math so that different levels are in the same folders then I'm really able to pull skills and ideas from whatever the level individuals are on to meet the standards. My file cabinet is organized with a drawer for monthly ideas (sorted by month/season), gradelevel (when I change I just pull out that grade and put it in 2 boxes to store until I come back), language arts, math, and a ss/science drawer.