Organizing your class and keeping it that way

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by teacherR, May 21, 2009.

1. teacherR

teacherR Companion

May 21, 2009

I was just wondering how do you organize your class supplies and keep them that way? I work for a church preschool and between donations and us buying things we have a ton of stuff! We organize it but then two weeks later it is a mess again. Closets and drawers are stuffed with supplies. I need a plan for next year! Sometimes we go out and buy stuff then a month later find out that we had a ton of what we already bought. What do I do?

3. Kase

Kase Companion

May 21, 2009

Keep them in storage bins or those storage containers with drawers and LABEL LABEL LABEL! The label maker is my best friend. Let people know that everything belongs where it's labeled so then when you need to go look it's there or if you don't have it you can get it.

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

May 22, 2009

I was going to mention "labeling" as well! I label at home and I am going to begin "labeling" at school too! Parts of my closet are just a little out of control, again! :unsure:

5. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

May 22, 2009

I was going to say the same thing. I buy those clear bins, and keep everything in them.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 23, 2009

When I took over a day care in a church, there were so many supplies that I could not believe it. My tiny little office had 2 huge desks in it. The staff lounge had no room for staff. Classrooms had junk stacked everywhere, files were taking over the classrooms, and the place was a mess.

First, get rid of everything you really don't need. I got rid of 300 videos since I do not support movies in the classroom. I also took the computer out of the classroom, as young children play enough computer games at home.

Then, remove all broken toys. You would be surprised how many staff just can not bring themselves to throw anything away.

Create areas for items. I moved the children's books from the staff lounge and created a library area in the main room.

Remove items that do not support your curriculum. I removed stacks of worksheets.

Give each staff member a storage area to keep organized. We had an art cupboard, staff lounge, bulletin board, outside storage, and library area. Each month, they were given 30 minutes before the staff meeting to work on their area.

7. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

May 23, 2009

I just went through purging and organizing for next year. I had so much stuff I forgot I had, especially pushed in the back of shelves. So I spent about 20 unpaid hours pulling out everything I had, separating into keep, donate and toss, and organizing the rest. Our program has been around for a while, so I also got rid of stuff that looked "old". I have a hard time letting books go, but when you have too many, it is overwhelming. After that, I put up a dry erase board on the inside of the door where I keep shaving cream, baking soda, etc., and wrote down the amounts of each item. Then I will know when I need to purchase something. I couldn't believe I had 7 cans of shaving cream. Good luck with it all.

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

May 23, 2009

I have plans to do the same thing with my closet. I'm going to keep a list of what I have on each shelf; that way I don't have to go looking through them all and shoving things here and there.
    I love the "keep, donate, and toss" piles. I also watch those Organizational shows. :D
    One man's "trash" is another man's treasure.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 23, 2009

I like clear bins too. In my closet I have color coded bins. Certain colors mean certain things. They also have labels on them so I can identify what's in them but the colors help me immediately identify which bins to read and look through. My arts and craft supplies are kept in the clear bins and everything else I have in colored bins.

10. tsol

tsol Rookie

May 23, 2009

I live by labels. I also love the colored bins. I use that system at home with different storing materials. I also go through paint, markers,etc. and get rid of broken and unusable ones every so often. I donate the extra books to different organizations. I can not throw books away.

11. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

May 24, 2009

I have "big black cabinets" and had trouble organizing too. One cabinet is for educational "games/centers". One cabinet only has art supplies. I bought some "little" tubs (smaller than shoe tubs) that were clear but had colored lids from Dollar Tree and labeled them (ex. cotton balls, pipe cleaners, scraps of material, straws, feathers, etc.)

One shelf is for little tubs, one construction paper and tissue paper, one for markers, crayons, glue, supplies that get used up quickly, etc. The top shelf is for rarely used items (large containers of paint, bingo dot paint) but I need to make an inventory sheet for it... thanks Maxadoodle.

I still need to figure out how to store "food" items better... noodles, vinegar, baking soda, food coloring, salt, etc. Right now I have them on the top shelf...

I bought a couple of stackable organizers with different sized small drawers from the "tool" section at WalMart for small stuff that I keep on my desk. I labeled each little drawer... safety pins, push pins, staples, paper clips, dice, magnetic tape, velcro dots, hole punches (for the larger drawers), small red apple mini-die cuts (one for yellow and green too), etc. Stuff I use every year... usually over and over. I have an organizer for magnetic letters too. (it's good for sorting letters and finding letters for your name... or words for the advanced students)

For teaching materials I bought larger clear tubs with lids that open but don't come off at WalMart. I put my weekly themes in them and stack them in an off-limits area for students. I labeled them by theme or "letter". (I'm currently using the "end of school" tub. Last week it was "insects" tub. My school uses letter focus themes although the letters don't have to be "in order of the alphabet", so I have letter "O" tub which has mostly ocean theme in it, letter "T" tub has mostly turkey and Thanksgiving theme in it, etc.

I also signed up on yahoo for the teacher part of www.flylady.net. I'm still trying to get the hang of "cleaning and organizing" my room in zones each month.

I'm a bookaholic and can't get rid of books. I put my "older/well used/multiples" books on a special shelf. The students are allowed to take one of them home each day for their families to read to them. There are lots of "rules" they have to know before they can take them home (no eating or drinking while reading, no unsupervised little siblings, no bathtub reading, only stored in the bookbag, etc. It is written out a little more positively...) I have plastic "Book Buddy" bags this year for transport, but have used one or two gallon freezer bags in the past. If they get "lost" I know they will show up somewhere, someday for someone else to read. AND, even my own dog ate my son's school science textbook this year... boy is that expensive.... :dizzy::wub:

12. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

May 25, 2009

Ha Ha Tgi1515. My dog ate my daughters $100 math textbook this year too!

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 25, 2009

What an excellent idea!! I am definitely going to implement this! I keep multiples of any book I have on tape/CD so that more than one child can listen at a time and they don't fight over the book.

14. teacherR

teacherR Companion

May 26, 2009

Thanks for all the advice. It looks like bins and labels are the way to go. I am in for a busy summer!

15. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

May 26, 2009

we have a large closet in one hallway and everything in thre is in bins that are clearly labeled. In my classroom, Ihave all my supplies in bins that are clearly labeled. I have my teacher books and my rigistration binder etc on shelves behind my desk. I also have acubby int he hallway for things I uses in the classroom but not on a regualr basis.

16. Reuse it!

Reuse it! Rookie

Jun 15, 2009

If you wouldn't mind, could you share the bring home book rules? It sounds like a neat idea that I would love to implement.