organizing teacher binder

Discussion in 'General Education' started by chemistrynerd, Oct 5, 2013.

1. chemistrynerd

chemistrynerd Rookie

Oct 5, 2013

Right now I have handouts and lessons all over the place, and I'd like to organize them into a binder so I can easily find them next year and keep track of what I've taught. Any suggestions on how to keep a teacher binder? I teach HS Chemistry (and possibly math next year)

3. physteach

physteach Companion

Oct 5, 2013

Any handout I made gets immediately hole punched and put at the end of my binder. This way, I have a record of what I did and in what order. I also use it to store answer keys (along with printed copies of tests). Additionally, I make notes on each handout if there is something that I would have liked to drop/include.

I'm starting a second binder for samples of student work for each project/lab/writing piece that we do.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 5, 2013

I scan everything and keep it on the computer. I'm a paper packrat, so I scan it and recycle it when I'm done. Otherwise, it becomes clutter.

5. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Oct 5, 2013

I do the same. I keep a binder of my handouts and answer keys and at the end of a unit I put in a new binder divider and start with the next topic. I also have a binder for student samples. Finally, I try to keep an e-copy so that if for some reason my binder is destroyed, not all work is lost. I have to create most of my own lessons and activities so it isn't any extra work.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2013

Yup. I have a separate binder where I keep every handout. I'll go back with a sticky note and jot down anything I need to do for next year (maybe "do not do until later" or "needs preteaching").

We keep all of our notes in a composition book, so I keep one along with the kids and jot down notes to myself for the next year.

7. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Oct 6, 2013

Same. I've got my space on our school server split up into the various preps that I teach/have taught, then broken down by topic and subtopic within each folder. I can find anything that I want in about 30 seconds, which makes me much more efficient when I'm prepping lessons on my plan period.

I also have a separate digital folder for lesson plans broken up by unit/topic. I can go back to last year to see what I did and modify it for the students this year.

8. Iheartmath

Iheartmath Rookie

Oct 6, 2013

I have binders for everything! Each chapter I teach in math has its own binder. Each binder has tabs for:
    * Lesson plans
    * Guided notes - blank student copy & key
    * Bell work - blank student copy & key
    * tests and quizzes
    * extra worksheets
    * Geometry proof sheets - student copy & key

After 2 years of teaching geometry & pre-algebra, I spent part of my summer getting each chapter organized this way. It's saved me so much time in the long run! If I start teaching another math course w/ new textbook I'll definitely do the same thing.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 6, 2013

I usually create my worksheets digitally on Google Docs, and it all stays there. Makes it so easy to search for what I need and just print it out, or make quick changes to worksheets that I need to change.

I also made a hard copy binder of everything last year, but I rarely use it. I'm trying to convert some of my handwritten worksheets to a digital copy, so I can have everything digital.