Organizing question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by shoebottom, Jan 3, 2016.

1. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jan 3, 2016

I am looking for a better way to organize my material.. do you keep your stuff in files in a filing cabinet or do you collect electronically and file them that way? I like the idea of keeping it all digit because I am wanting to cut down on big furniture in my room next year. Also, has anyone taken the plunge and got rid of their teacher desk? I am a sped teacher and use it often because of all the paperwork I have to complete, but I have been thinking about using my small group table as my work space. I am not at my desk when the kids are in the room anyway.

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 3, 2016

I like having a desk. Won't convince me to get rid of it.

I do everything possible electronically. I scan student projects needed for keeping.

Caesar753 likes this.
  4. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jan 3, 2016

I haven't been able to find something that works for me just yet. I am still filling everything and I have started to keep everything digitally. It is easier for me to scan everything and save it on my desktop or school files. However, I feel the need to keep a hard-copy on some items, especially if they have signatures. I tend to find things a lot faster on my computer, than through my files.

One of our teachers did get rid of her desk. At first I thought it was a great idea, maybe it would keep her away from the desk. However, when I go into her classroom for walkthroughs, she tends to take up student work space. I think it is a great idea, but you would still need to have a work space to avoid having your items around the classroom.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2016

When I move to a new room or school, the first thing I do is get rid of the teacher desk! I use my kidney table with shelves behind it for storage. Since the table is used for teaching, it helps me avoid the mess that usually gathers on the teacher desk. It also frees up space in the room that can be better utilized for student use.

Backroads likes this.
  6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 3, 2016

I would never consider getting rid of my teacher desk. I need a "kid-free" zone to leave stuff, and I'm not about to apologize to anybody for having a desk which, by my calculation, takes up about 0.25% of my classroom space. I have never once sat at it when I'm actually with kids though (outside of times that another adult is using my room... ie when our guidance counselor is leading a lesson with my kids).
    I do as much as I possibly can electronically, but I have a filing cabinet, too. My big task in August every year is cleaning all the crap out of it.

7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 3, 2016

I agree with the kid-free zone reason for the desk, and I still use my desk for student stuff--kids access the stapler and tape and turn things in, etc. But having my teacher stuff creates a point of sanity.

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jan 3, 2016

I keep my files organized on Google Drive (so that I can access them from any device, at any place, at any time, with internet access) as much as possible. I do still have some files stored in a cabinet. I keep saying that one of my summer goals is to scan and upload all of those files too, so that I will have very little left in the cabinet. It's been two summers, and I have yet to actually get around to it.

I have thought about getting rid of my desk in the past, but I won't. As others have said, I like my "kid-free" space, and I need someplace to put files and papers in between organizing them. I could use my kidney table as work space, but then I'd be taking up the work space I use for my groups. I think it's best for me and my students to keep my desk. I always put my kidney table and desk in the same corner so that I can swivel my chair back and forth between them. It's like one large workspace where I can keep both my things and my students near.

Backroads likes this.
  9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2016

I would never get rid of my teacher desk.

I save all my files electronically in Google Drive. I keep hard copies of almost nothing except the occasional sample of student work that isn't scanable (scannable?) for whatever reason (3D, musical, whatever).

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 4, 2016

What I used to do in hard copy, I would do digitally today if I were still in the classroom. I would keep monthly files with all kinds of ideas and lessons for each month, including holiday projects. I would keep subject files for handouts pertaining to each subject area. I would keep a student file with all kinds of data.

My desk was so packed with necessities that I could have never done without it.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 4, 2016

I also do everything on Google Drive. I create all of my documents and files in Google Drive, and anytime I save materials or get materials from another teacher, I save it to my Google Drive folder. If I get physical copies of something I want to keep, our school copy machine has a scan function that will send a pdf of the scan directly to my email.

I keep my teacher desk because it's where I store things I don't keep digitally like IEPs, 504s, and special care plans, but because I keep everything else digitally I don't need an extra filing cabinet. I just use the one drawer in my desk. I also keep food in it, and my computer on top of it.