Organizing personal supplies

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by wyvern, May 19, 2013.

1. wyvern

wyvern Companion

May 19, 2013

I'm home for the summer. And bringing box after bag of stuff home with me. I've been doing this for years. I have spent time to buy good storage boxes and the like. I still don't really have the organizing secret. I have not very good shed space to use for storage. But stuff. Well, I have a lot of it. I've been doing massive downsizing but I still have a lot. No matter what I plan, or try I can't seem to really make it work with the space and environment I have. Right now I'm going through the boxes to make sure the toy farm animals are together, the wild animals are together. the fish and ocean are together, the castle theme dramatic play and the bakery and the dramatic play flower shop and doctor's officeare together. I have lots of natural science stuff like tree rings and branches that are hard to store. I don't have lots of handout type things, nor much art stuff either. Mostly it's good games, like a wooden marble run, a few trays of magnetic building toys, take apart cars, things that spin, kaleidesopes , felt stories and on and on. I just would like to hear if others find themselves having to deal with at home storage of lots of stuff and what Ideas work well for them?

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 19, 2013

Nothing seems to be perfect. We have always had a storage area--shed, barn, bedroom.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 19, 2013

I guess I am wondering why you bring it home? If it is a matter of cleaning and organizing, I go back to school the week after we are out and do as much as I can then. I put stuff out, wash it, organize it, etc. so it is done and I don't have to think about it all summer. At school, things are organized by category - literacy, math, science, manipulatives, etc. Papers, art samples, etc. are in binders. I also have big plastic storage tubs for big things, file cabinets I store games I have made and manipulatives by subject, files for assessments, etc.

I am lucky to have a lot of storage. I always start the year so neat and organized, but by this time of year.....:dizzy: :help:

5. wyvern

wyvern Companion

May 19, 2013

Well, it's personal stuff. My center is not well supplied and doesn't seem to put much value on keeping supplied. So, I have my own that I've collected over the years. I'm an employee not a proprietor. So I bring it home.During the year, I bring it in as needed. But it collects and now I've got lots of boxes of stuff returning. I wish I could afford to invest in all the storage boxes I needed in exactly matching sizes. Unfortunately, it is not to be.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 19, 2013

Can you go ask a copy place or other type of store that has boxes and ask them to save them for you? That has worked for me in the past.