Organizing Notebooks

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CDOR79, Aug 29, 2011.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Aug 29, 2011

I'm trying to figure out what would be better and more organized...to split a notebook in half and have the first half be classwork and the second half be homework...OR...just have it all together but before a student does the work, they will date their work and either write "Classwork" or "Homework" on the same line.

Which would you think is better? I'm just afraid that doing it the first way mentioned may cause a student to run out of room quicker.

Thanks!

3. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 29, 2011

I like the idea of one large binder with dividers. Or they could have 2 smaller binders.
    How long are they to keep papers, 1 quarter, 1 semester, the year? The length of time would make a difference in the amount of paper they would need to keep on hand.

4. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Aug 29, 2011

This is for a 3rd grade class. They already have an 8 pocket folder to keep any papers in..the notebook is strictly for work (class and homework).

Binders are not an option. They have certain notebooks already dedicated to the subjects.

5. katie11

katie11 Rookie

Aug 29, 2011

I usually say students to divide notebook into two halves - one for home-works and one for class-notes. Is there any other idea from private tutors?

6. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Aug 30, 2011

That's what I was thinking. Like I said- I'm just afraid they'll run out of classwork room much earlier than HW room and then have to start a whole new notebook much earlier. I don't know....

7. bondo

bondo Cohort

Aug 31, 2011

I know its not economical but why not just two notebooks? If they are going to run out of room they will have to purchase a second notebook anyway.

8. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Aug 31, 2011

I like the idea of just having one binder to keep everything in, but my fear was that they would take classwork home and not bring it back. I decided to do their binder and have them keep their planner in it. They have three tabs: Nightly Homework, Spelling (it is turned in weekly), and Reading (also turned in weekly). We labeled the pockets: Keep at Home and Bring back to School. So far, this is working well to keep them organized with their homework.

They have one plastic folder for "Work in Progress." They have notebooks for science, Religion, and writing. I honestly don't have my students do a lot of paper stuff like worksheets.