organizing materials

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by love2teach, Aug 21, 2003.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2003

This may be a silly question, but where do you have your students put their materials when they first get to school? I cant remeber what i did last year? Should they pile everythign into their desk and ill chekc it later? Should everything be placed into different piles or bins? Should they keep things in thier bags ? help?? What has worked for you?

3. bina1357

bina1357 Companion

Aug 21, 2003

Is this for the 1st day of school? What I did this morning(my 1st day) is I had the kids keep them in their backpacks til I was ready to go thru them. Then I had them put everything on their desks & label w/a Sharpie. After that, I wrote up on the board the suppplies they definitely need this year. We went thru each one. I had them hold up the items then stick them in their desk. It went really well actually. (i'm 4th grade) The kids were eager all morning to put their things in their desks but they did okay w/it. :) Now, their desks are nice & neat. I made them take back home any extra supplies or things that they wouldn't need. (why have more than u need at school...it just takes up space)

Another idea is to give each a gallon size baggie & put all extra supplies in there w/it labeled.

Good luck!

Tina

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2003

I did pretty much the same as bina above- I have a prepared note to send home for any missing supplies.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 22, 2003

My kids brought in just about everything that was on their list. First period, first day, I had them put all their goodies in their supplies boxes and put their names on them. The boxes went into bins on a shelf. Glue bottles went into a separate bin. Then I had them put their names on the various organizational items they had - expanding file, clear pocket envelope, binder, assignment book, homework folder, separate journal book. I had labels for the notebooks and workbooks. The hardest part was showing them how to set up their binders with dividers and paper. Next, they put their schedules, class rules, and a couple of other things, in clear sheet protectors which stay in the front of their binders. I bought these round supplies containers with separate sections. I placed one on each group of desks for their pencils and scissors. They each have their own section of the thing. Their workbooks and textbook stay on bookshelves until we need them.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 22, 2003

I don't want my kids keeping their crayons at their desk so we take those up and put them in a ziplock and then a storage drawer. They put their extra pencils in a gallon ziplock (with corners nipped off) and we store those also. I have a shelf for extra paper, folders, etc. I try and keep it all together so that it is easier for a sub if they have to dig into the supplies. I have their glue and color in seperate drawers for girls and boys to make it easier to pass out. Of course this year it will be interesting because our school is providing almost all of the supplies so we aren't getting what we normally do. I've already spent more on class supplies in this one summer than I have in the past 4 years. :(

Christy

7. in the loop

in the loop Rookie

Aug 22, 2003

I have them keep everything in their book bags. Then once everyine is settled and we have taken attendence etc, we play simon says and collect things or put them away that way.

8. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Aug 23, 2003

Christy, why do you nip the corners off the gallon bags?

Last year I left the kids with basic supplies in their box. Took away markers, extra pencils, glue, etc. I put extra supplies in a lunch bag(brown paper) and labled the sack and put it on a shelf. When they needed something, they went to that sack. It made the supplies last all year.

This year I left K with nothing! All supplies became community property. When we need glue, I pass out glue.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 23, 2003

Hi, Brenda! I nip the corners off so that it doesn't store air in the bag. That way you can lay them flat or roll them without any problems. I usually use a hole punch so that it doesn't make too big of a hole for objects to fall through.

Christy