Organizing Lessons

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by MzMooreTeaches, Jul 1, 2010.

1. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 1, 2010

How do you keep up with your lessons and ideas over the years?

I'm approaching my first year and have been scouring the web and all montessori websites to compile an idea book that covers practical life, science, math, sensorial, cultural as well as language activities to be able to pull from.

So then I can compare it with Kindergarten Standards for NC to see how they match up.

What about everyone else? Ideas?

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2010

If your director has a copy of an Album for a particular curriculum area, you'll be able to use that to look at the sequence of Montessori materials.

Here's a link to what the "Albums" are and why they are used. It'll be very helpful to you, I think.

http://www.blog.montessoriforeveryone.com/the-ultimate-post-about-montessori-albums.html

You really need to check with your director and see what kind of support you'll be receiving initially to make sure your classroom is being set up as an authentic Montessori space.

4. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 1, 2010

Of course. Well this is me wanting to start off with something and not wanting to walk in empty handed. I believe i need to bring something to the table and show that I have been doing some researching on my own as well.

I can certainly understand your concern and as always thanks for answering my questions so quickly!! :D

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2010

Good for you! You really sound like you're going to be a great Montessori teacher.

I don't know how many materials your school has, but one of the things I like to do is go to thrift stores and look for baskets and trays to use on the shelves. I just got a bunch of really nice baskets at a thrift store yesterday for .25 each. :)

Pretty soon you'll start looking for little things like pitchers, baskets, trays, bowls, to use in your classroom and you'll be hooked. :)

If you want to start organizing your stuff, I would suggest printing out what you like and putting it into individual binders for each curriculum area:

geography
    math
    language
    sensorial
    practical life (or daily living, as it's sometimes called)
    music (if you'll have a music shelf in your classroom)
    art
    science

Have you had a chance to go in and look and see what materials are in the classroom already?

6. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 2, 2010

Thanks I really want to strive to be the best that i can be for the kids. But I'm trying not to overwhelm myself or stretch myself to thin at the same time.

No i have not been in to look at the classroom because I left to go out of town for the holiday weekend... and I'm nannying also... (which eventually I'm going to either have to step down or get laid off to open up more time for myself.)

Yeah and I'm normally not a thrift store kind of person because I dont like to look... but I'm home and my mom is awesome in thrift stores so later today or early in the morning I'm going off to look for things.