Organizing Documentation & Notes

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by kyblue07, Jul 31, 2007.

1. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 31, 2007

The teachers at my school keep documentation records as far as copies of referrals, conferences, etc. However, I've noticed that few record daily notes, parent contacts, behavior logs, etc. I have done this on a regular basis since my first year, but my method seems pretty old fashioned.:eek:

How does everyone manage and organize the documentation, notes, etc? I've used the old fashioned 'writing it in a notebook' under a daily entry. Does everyone else use this too? Do you keep seperate records or do you just have one notebook and make a daily entry? What works best for you as far as recording and organizing documentation?

3. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 31, 2007

I use a binder and I have tabs for letters A-Z and I use the childs last name for documentation. I then when I need it turn to there last name. Works for me.

4. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

i like the idea of having one binder and all the kids listed in it...then you don't have to have a folder for each kid, file it away, pull it out....

another teacher on this board mentioned they make note of the behavior issue as soon as it happens, but she wrote it on like a sticky label....then stuck it in the kids file....maybe that made it easier to her rather than cracking open a notebook.

i dont know...i still deciding and looking forward to what others have to say

5. nothermanda

nothermanda Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I'm planning on using the sticky-note method for day-to-day things. For parent phone calls, I have a small form on which I can list the date and everything, then make notes. Everything goes into the private student file.

Don't forget to keep a "must-do" list so that you don't forget anything you promise!

6. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Aug 1, 2007

I actually use an a-z accordian folder for "rough filing" of stuff - its fast and easy. Once a week my team meets, and we do the filing in the team folders then so that we can make decisions about "next steps" and possible issues.

7. 6ertchr

6ertchr Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

I keep a file box on my desk. Each student has a folder in the box. I use the folders to hold all important information about the students. I fill out a form while I'm on the phone with a parent (or immediately after speaking face-to-face). It does directly in the folder. I also put in notes that parents write to me and the signed copies of notes that I send home. If a parent writes a message in a child's agenda book, I copy it and put it in too. Any notes passed by children are put in the folders. Attendance and behavior citations from the office go into the folder. The folders serve as documentation when you deal with the Behavior Board or an irate parent.

8. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Aug 1, 2007

9. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

I have various logs. I have a phone log sheet to keep track of phone calls. If I had fewer students I would keep a folder on each kid (but, having 174 kids makes that a bit of a daunting task). I may, however, keep folders for my biggest trouble makers (the ones you are always in meetings for). Our school also allows us to make comments on a student through the computer. This is nice because all teachers can see these notes.

10. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 1, 2007

B - E - A - U - tiful link! There are so many good ideas in there! Thanks!:clap:

11. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I second that!! Thanks for the link to the article! :up:

12. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Aug 2, 2007

No problem! I'm just praying that I'll have access to a file cabinet when I get to my school! I'm actually going to check out my classroom today. I am so excited!

13. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Aug 2, 2007

I have keep a binder behind my desk that's divided into sections: class list & emergency #s, discipline log (and referrals), parent contact log, retention notices, and homework excuses. I just punch holes and put in the binder as necessary!