Organizing Classroom Library

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissTeach22, Jun 5, 2010.

1. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Jun 5, 2010

Hi! :) I am just wondering how you organize your classroom library? I have many, many picture books and there just seems to be too many different topics. I know I want to do a math and a science related basket...but besides that I am unsure...maybe fairy tales and predictable/pattern books, etc.

Please share your ideas if you wouldn't mind! :love:

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2010

What grade do you teach?

I've organized my library a bunch of ways, but am most happy with my current method. I have my picture books leveled and kept in a leveled library. My chapter books are sorted into baskets by series, authors, etc. Then I have a separate non-fiction section and also reference books.

I feel the children who are reading at levels C-M really benefit from reading "just right books" so the leveled picture library works well.

I used the scholastic site to level them.

I think I have pictures of my current library in my blog. You can search using the search feature in the top right corner of it.

Good luck! It's a daunting task, but well-worth the effort.

4. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Jun 5, 2010

Thank you and it will be 1st grade :)

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2010

I LOVE 1st grade! At that level, I would definitely put them in baskets by level. You can put colored stickers with letters on the cover in the top right corner to match the basket. That way even 1st graders can put them back in the correct spot.

Don't get caught up with a "check out" system. It's not worth the hassle.

Google "Beth Newingham" for the world's most impressive classroom library. She's 3rd grade, but you'll be inspired. She also has a link to the scholastic site.

6. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 5, 2010

This year in fifth grade, I had them sorted alphabetically by author's last name. I didn't do it this year, but my colleagues have a book tornado, where the kids come in and find the books all mixed up around the room. They have the kids organize the books however they want. I had a colored dot circle on each book and the same color on the bin that they belonged in. Made it much easier for students to put away!

When I did Pre-K, I had them grouped into different subjects. (Fairy Tales, Numbers, Alphabet, Animals, People and Places, Colors and Shapes, etc.) That worked for me pretty well. I'm not sure how I will do it yet in first. =)

7. lareed

lareed Companion

Jun 5, 2010

I have my library sorted into baskets with picture and word labels on the outside. I use genre, author, and series (among a few other categories). It seems confusing but it worked so well the last two years. (btw I teach a 1st/2nd loop) The picture labels help a lot. I have one spot for books the kids cannot remember where they go. The most problem occurs within the realistic fiction genre. I went back through all my baskets 3 times last year. The first time I told them the library was closed until I had them straightened up. I acted very upset and told them they knew better (putting Spongebob books with the Dr. Seuss, etc). They were really upset for that whole week. The 2nd time I decided to go through all the baskets I was thoroughly impressed. I only found a handful of misplaced books!

I will attempt to attach my labels so you can see what I do, as well as a picture of my library :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://drop.io/ooujwnb/asset/labels1-docx
    http://drop.io/ooujwnb/asset/labels2-docx
    http://drop.io/ooujwnb/asset/labels3-docx
    http://drop.io/ooujwnb/asset/labels4-docx
    http://drop.io/ooujwnb/asset/labels5-docx

8. lareed

lareed Companion

Jun 5, 2010

WOW! That is the first time my picture ever worked!! :D

9. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 5, 2010

These are all great ideas!!!!!!!!!! I still have to figure out how to organize my books for my kidos.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 5, 2010

11. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2010

Wow, your library looks so cozy -- thanks for sharing!

12. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2010

I would love to have my own personal library in my classroom, but so many people have access to my room that I'm afraid of my books walking. :blush:

13. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Jun 6, 2010

Thank you for all of the great ideas. I really like the idea of including pictures on the labels. Also, thank you for your pictures...I love to see pictures of other classrooms and teacher's ideas :thumb:

Sandra...the same is true for me, but I figure that I can't not have a library for the kids...I just make sure to put my name in EVERYTHING!