organizing class library

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teachoh, Jul 20, 2005.

1. teachoh

teachoh Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

Does anyone have any clever ways of utilizing every inch of space in a class library? I have tons of books which i sort different ways and place in baskets. This works well but I am quickly running out of room. I have built in book cases along the walls and three free standing wooden book shelves that are about three feet tall. :thanks:

3. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 20, 2005

I buy the $.99 blue tubs at Ikea and use those. If you turn them sideways, more books can fit in. I too struggle with this. Last year I had a spinning cart, but it always squeaked and took up way too much room. Good luck.

4. herins

herins Companion

Jul 20, 2005

I am trying to figure out a coloured sticker system so that I can always have subject appropriate books on hand. I imagine having multiple stickers for colour coding. I think this would help with the organization, but I haven't wrapped my head completely around the idea. So, I am kind of answering your question with a question!

5. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

Library

I too have been searching for a way to better organize my classroom. I wasn't sure if I should put the level on them, I know the problem with this is that students become aware of what the numbers mean. One cool way I saw in a magazine is to put stickers on the books. For example all my level A books would have an apple on it and all of my level B books would have a baseball on it and so on. It's just an alternative to numbers.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 20, 2005

This is a good question...
    To add to that, I am wondering how to organize my books on tape!
    Someone gave me a TON of books and tapes to go with them, which are stored in file folders, but I'd like to organize them somehow where the kids could access them without getting disorganized.
    I can be an organization freak sometimes. =)

7. herins

herins Companion

Jul 20, 2005

I keep all my books on tape in large ziplock bags. It works for now. I know you can buy hanging envelopes, but it's not worth the cost (to me).

8. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

I keep my books on tape in ziplock bags also. I store them in crates where students can choose books to listen to. It has worked very well for me.

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 21, 2005

I was thinking about that. But I have a couple that don't quite fit!

I was also thinking about labeling them with dot stickers. I'd put a matching number on the book and the tape.

Hmmm.

10. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 21, 2005

HAHA I'm the Ziploc queen! You can do AMAZING things with those bags! You might think about punching a hole in the top (above the zip) and attaching them to a bar or something with a ring. Probably even K students can open those rings; another "ring" might be a shower curtain ring that may be easier to open. Or skipping the whole "open it up" thing, you could buy some of those metal hooks made for pegboards in the garage. Then they could actually hang on a wall if need be. Some folks have more wall space that cabinet or shelf space. hmmm...I'll have to run back to Dollar Tree for some pegboard hooks!!

11. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 21, 2005

I agree, ziplock bags are amazing. But let me know any other ideas you have because I am interested.. ;) haha.

I have no idea what kind of wall space/shelf space I am going to have. Oh well. Maybe I'll number them AND put them in ziplock bags so I will be set either way, lol.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 21, 2005

You could use curtain hooks that clip on and not even punch a hole in the bags. Another thought would be to velcro the tape to the back of the book so they don't get separated.