Organizing and Rearranging Room

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by missapril81, Aug 19, 2010.

1. missapril81

missapril81 Companion

Aug 19, 2010

Is anyone else finding it difficult? I transferred to a different school and my space is a lot smaller. I am right now trying to rearrange and it seems like it is almost impossible. I threw somethings out, and tried to group things together. I just wondered if anyone else was feeling like this.

3. btteach

btteach Rookie

Aug 19, 2010

Yes, I'm right where you are, but

Hi April 81,
    I feel your pain!!! I am not able to begin rearranging until Monday! so I have just pictures I took with my camera phone, and I'm contantly mentally rearranging it - LOL. What grade(s) are you teaching? Are you new to the age/grade as well as to the school?

I am in a new school and all of the previous teacher's things are still in the room until Tuesday. I guess I'll work around what she's got packed up for my first day there until the movers get it out of the room. I get what you mean by this task - "impossible" - I am completely overwhelmed. I don't want to deviate too much from the schedule the previous teacher had, but at the same time I want it to be my classroom. It's difficult.

4. missapril81

missapril81 Companion

Aug 20, 2010

I am doing K-5 Special Education. I am doing some pull out groups, while others I will be going into the classroom to do. At my old school, I did the same age levels and subjects. Last year, I had a bigger room and sometimes had multiple rooms that I could store things in. The school this year is a lot smaller, but the school that I originally was at was a K-12 school. Then recently became a K-5, so there were extra rooms.

The room I am in now has a lot of leftover things from the previous teacher. I am still going through everything though. We had to get new book shelves, since the last ones we had were old and falling apart. That added to my stress, because I had piles of books everywhere. I think I have them organized better to where I can find things I need. It is just hard when some of the stuff I don't know if I will need or not. On the other hand, I am afraid if I get rid of it I will need it for later use.

I am sure your room will be fine. I understand about your schedule and wanting to make it your own. I am pretty much using last years schedule. This is going to allow most Reading groups to be broken up into 3 small groups.

I will keep in touch and see how your school year is going.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 20, 2010

I am SUCH a visual person... I went in and measured everything, then I cut little pieces for all the furniture out of grid paper. That lets me play and play and play until I'm happy before i have to physically move anything...

it didn't keep my from rearranging, but it did at least mean that my big things only had to get moved once. My custodians appreciate that.

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2010

When I was planning out my room arrangement yesterday, the custodian came in and said, "We just waxed the floor, don't move anything without a furniture request." Some lady at my school broke her toe from dropping a table on it last year, so they started this "furniture request" thing where you fill out a form and they come move your furniture. Great in theory, BUT- it takes them forever, especially when all of the teachers are fixing their rooms up! I turned my music up and shut the door :whistle: so that you couldn't hear the squeak squeak of all of the furniture moving across the room....

Guess they'll eventually figure out that I did it on my own, but hey, I wanted the room to be ready. :)

7. anthrogirl

anthrogirl Rookie

Aug 20, 2010

I'm a brand new teacher and I'm going insane trying to rearrange things in the classroom. I can't move in until the prior teachers (who are going into a new class) move out, so I'm at a loss at how to organize.

8. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 20, 2010

I would love to get my room done but I put in a request when there was a month left of school for a couple of minor things to get done and they are still not done. They are minor but change a lot of things in regards to layout if they are not done and its getting frustrating as I'm at the point of setting those things up!

I have made quite a few changes in regards to decluttering (although it is still much more cluttered than the nice organized rooms that I see here). It has taken me 4 years to widdle down all the stuff that was in the room to what I need to run the program the way I want to run it. I started out not wanting to throw anything away because there was some great stuff. In the end I never really used it so it was time for it to go. I donated some, threw out some, found other classrooms that could use some...etc. I feel good about where my room is right now :)

9. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Aug 20, 2010

Last year I was moved into a room 1/4 of the size of the one I was in (I am also a K-5 special ed teacher). I had absolutely no time to organize it, and it was really distressing. This summer I have been going in regularly to streamline and reorganize everything, and am feeling a lot better about my space. I also had last year to identify what did and did not work in the space. Good luck with yours!