Organizing 90-minute block periods

Discussion in 'High School' started by Caesar753, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2007

Those of you with longer class periods... how do you typically organize them? What does a normal class period look like?

Thanks!

3. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 27, 2007

It depends on the subject. I'm in English...

5-10 min for bellringer
    20 note taking
    30 reading
    20 review/questions/intro to next day/homework assignments ect.

4. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 27, 2007

A typical day in my social studies classes:
    15 Min: Homework Check and Warm-up
    10 Min: Review of Homework (or anything else that needs to be reviewed or returned.)
    20 Minutes: Teaching Activity (Some times note taking, other times it may be a premade skit, play, roleplaying activity, or some other History Alive type activity.)
    40 Minutes: Independant Activity (some times more than 1). This is usually some type of the Interactive Notbeook type assignments, readings with questions/notes, textbook readings, an educational movie, project, or fun acitivity.For example, when we discuss chivlary with knights we watch clips from a few Hollywood movies to discuss this. I try to make it as fun as possible for the kids. The acitivites are also reviewed (if the activity doesn't do review itself), if time permits. If they turn it in, we go over it once it is returned.
    5 Minutes: Assign/Begin Homework, Organize Binders, Wrap-up time.

5. lowiq

lowiq Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

Since you need to do two lessons in one class period, I would give the first lesson, practice problems on the first lesson, then give the second lesson, practice problems. Finally you might have time to review both lessons with some academic gaming or group work.
    If the games are fun, students might be motivated to increase their attention spans.

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 27, 2007

The way we have it mapped out there is really no nneed to do two lessons in one day.

7. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 28, 2007

I would say just remember that you and the kids will get bored. You want to make sure that there are several things going on in the 90 minutes. Otherwise, it is just painful....you will have some painful days!

8. robkmil

robkmil New Member

Sep 19, 2007

Think of your college classes and how boring the time was. You need to vary activities. Block periods leav a lot of room for group work and project learning. Soem teachers also do a totally unrelated activity for 3 minutes and then bring their kids back to task. It is touch for kids to stay on task for very long andyou need to realize that on this schedule.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 19, 2007

My day generally works out like this:

5-10 minute warm up
    20 minutes of class instruction
    20-30 minutes of small group activity
    30 minutes of individual activity

10. Iluvmath

Iluvmath New Member

Sep 19, 2007

I haven't had the opportunity to teach much in a 90 min block schedule, but from the limited time I did, I would have to agree that the students and teacher get bored with a set routine. The key is to keep things moving and use short chunks of time on one task. But, in math anyway, the longer periods can allow for some one-on-one time with students and for discovery projects.

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2007

15 minutes of writing the objective, word of the day, and RFA (district-wide warm up designed to help on the state test)

The rest varies, but typically it is something like 30 minutes of whole class instruction (which for me may be interspersed with brief partner, individual work)

30 minutes of some group activity.

15 minutes of individual work that usually leads into their homework.

12. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Sep 21, 2007

I teach a double period EVERYDAY. The first week was dreadful - but it is slowly getting better. Since I was finally able to give out textbooks I can now assign more than 5 homework examples a night so my new routine will go something like this:

15mins - Check HW, Review HW on board
    30mins - Class instruction (POD, Lesson Notes, Guided Practice w/ them)
    25mins - Group activity (usually involves them creating their own problems & presenting them)
    20mins - Individual Work & Wrap up

Basically we do A LOT of work. I have kids that are on level 1's & 2's so they need the extra problems even though they look BORED to death.

13. teachercat

teachercat Rookie

Oct 8, 2007

5 min - Quote of the Day
    My opportunity to talk non-math with the class and maybe instill some moral fiber in them.

10 min - Silent Reading
    Mandated by the administration. It's nice to have a quite time to deal with details like attendance, make up work for absent students, quick one-on-one conversations with students, etc...

15 min - Warm Up Problems
    Done as group work.

30 min - Instruction
    Usually the world's most boring lectures, but I try to make them interesting.

25 min - Class Work
    In groups or individual depending on the material and how the class has been behaving. Most don't have calculators at home, so it's important that they get to use them at school.

Fairly often there is a 15 minute quiz thrown in there. Also if they've been good, I'll give them 5 minutes of social time at the end. :cool:

14. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 8, 2007

For my Algebra I class last year I did:
    -15 minutes: Warm-up, HW check, time for me to return work, time for me to do admin. duties, etc.
    -15 minutes: Review of Homework, I usually have a few kids come to the board to do examples.
    -30 Minutes: Lesson, Guided Practice as class, Notes, Examples, Hands on teaching activity when I can find a good one, etc.
    -25 Minutes: Classwork Activity done as groups or individually, usually its a worksheet or bookwork. The day before a quiz this time is used for a small review game. I also incorporte any activities, mini projects, and the occasional showing of the whoing of a math related video. (I have shown the CBS show Numbers in class and they have lesson plans to do online with them.) Finally, I assign the homework.

For tests I give them the whole period, but a quiz period looks as follows:
    -15 minutes: Warm-up, HW check, time for me to return work, time for me to do admin. duties, etc.
    -15 minutes: Review for quiz and review of homework.
    -40 Minutes: Quiz and as they finish they have classwork to do on the material taught the previous day. On the day before quizzes I give the notes for the next topic, but we only practice the topics that will be on the quiz in class and as homework. Finally, I assign homework which is on the topic which I covered yesterday.