Organizing 40 minute periods

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by jojo808, Jul 25, 2007.

1. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Hi, This will be my first year teaching LA. I will have five, 40 minute periods a day, with a total of 156 students. I'm used to 90 minute periods.

How will you be organizing your period? This is what I have so far:
    Daily review 3-5 min (while I check HW, completed or not completed)
    Vocab lesson/practice 10 min
    Reading focus lesson 10 min
    Practice/discussion 5 min
    Mini writing focus lesson 10 min
    Assign writing assigment for HW

This just doesn't seem to fit! I realize I'm going to need to rotate reading, writing, mechanics, etc. I need guidance! THANKS!

3. bigcat

bigcat Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

I am so glad you asked about this.....I have 55 minutes....where,I'm sure, 5 of that is getting settled.

4. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

Instead of doing ALL of those things each day, could you split them so you are switching between reading and writing? Maybe on Monday start with Vocab and go into the reading focus lesson and end with practice then on Tuesday do Vocab again and start the writing focus lesson. Or you could use Mon and Tues. for reading and then do Wed. and Thurs. for writing? Then Friday could be whatever you need more time for. Not sure if that will work for you, but it's just a suggestion!

I have 90 min but MUST have 60 min of reading so that leaves me with 30 min for writing. So that's how I'll set it up - 60 min of reading in the beginning then 30 min of writing. I need to figure out how I'm going to do writing though, because we are doing Reader's Workshop for the first time but haven't been trained on Writer's Workshop, so I may just do a modified version.

5. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

One other thing, for those of you that have classes that will be switching, I used a "Daily Language Review" for the first 5 min of class. As soon as they got in, they worked on it until I collected it or went over it with them. It was a great way to get them settled.

This is the book I used: http://www.evan-moor.com/catalog/book.asp?SID=246&BID=182

6. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

I think you should rotate like Mrs. Gould says. The kids will get more out of a more sustained time doing each thing.

It's funny how quickly 40 minutes can go!

7. happyteacher

happyteacher Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

I agree rotate. You will feel too rushed and you won't be able to get many assignments from students that are their best work. I think theyt will be rushing through them as well.

8. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

I have a mix of 40 min and 80 min classes (some 40 min ones are put back to back for a longer block). I agree with focusing on one activity during the 40 minutes blocks. Generally, you can count on lossing 5 minutes to transition, and another 5 to aliens (time that fly by while you were dealing with bathroom requests, discipline, homework, notes, the computer monitor suddenly tipping off the desk . . . )

So, 30 minutes of quality time . . . yoy, I'm scaring myself now!!

9. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions! I will work on a rotating schedule. Still, I'm worried about fitting it all in!