Organization

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by rookie514, Sep 25, 2007.

1. rookie514

rookie514 Rookie

Sep 25, 2007

How do you guys keep track of classwork and homework. If you use a gradebook then what is the best setup. Im new and i find myself assigning homework and then not knowing how to keep track. Probably sounds like a dumb question but any help will be appreciated.

Thank you Baruchi

3. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Sep 25, 2007

A thing that helps me is when students turn in their homework they cross their name off a list. At the end of the day, I look at the list and next to names not marked off, I write ABSENT or MISSING. That helps me when I go back to know if that student needs late points taken off their work, or if they were not here so they don't need points taken off.

Also, students only turn in homework once a week. I stamp homework daily, but it is only turned in once a week as a "Homework Packet." For example, if we had homework on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, then those 3 assignments would be turned in as a packet on Friday. This has been SUCH A GREAT thing for me. I don't grade homework nearly as much and students have been pretty good about keeping up with their papers until our Friday Turn In day.

4. rookie514

rookie514 Rookie

Sep 25, 2007

Nice that hw packet sounds like a great idea i might try that. Thanks a lot for the response.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2007

We correct together, I collect, record scores and send home in their Thursday folder. I correct and collect every day! I record every assignment. If the whole class does awful, sometimes I just make it worth 2 points if you did it (something like that). My kids have numbers so I can alphabetize quickly. I USUALLY get all the scores recorded during the school day, but since I alphabetize them I am able to see who has missing work and who does not even if I don't have time to record. I then write a note in their agenda book.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2007

I write homework assignments on the board. That way absent kids know what they need to do, and in case I forgot what I assigned, I have the white board to look at. Plus, I have my two homework checkers check homework in the morning. They put the homework in order and then cross off the numbers that are missing. Then, when they are working independently, I quickly record the homework in my gradebook. Takes less than 2 minutes to do.

7. IRAEnglishT-chr

IRAEnglishT-chr Rookie

Sep 28, 2007

I don't assign homework, except in class work that wasn't finished in class or special projects, studying for tests, etc.

I also have an assignment form I made up to send home each week. I tape a blank form to my desk on Monday and write in each assignment as I grade it. I list the subject, the assignment, and the possible amount of points. On Friday, I make copies of the assignment sheet and take it home along with all the assignments for the week. I fill out a sheet for each child and place it in a packet along with their graded assignments for the week. They take these home on Mondays and bring them back, signed, the next day. I keep the signed assignment sheets in case there would be a question about grades/missing assignments, etc.

I use a grade book so I can tell quickly if someone has a missing assignment. Plus, the parents stay very well informed because they see every assignment within a week of the time it is graded.

I accept late assignments right up until the deadline for report cards, and I allow students to redo missed problems on papers receiving a C or below. I don't actually grade these, though--I just give half credit for the problems that have been redone.

I don't have a problem keeping papers/grades organized and in order, but it is frustrating when I receive papers up to a week late, so I may have to change my policy where late work is concerned...but then that would require MORE monitoring, so I don't know if it would be worth it...