organization tips

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by zoey'smom, Aug 16, 2009.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 16, 2009

I hate to admit it but I am one of those teachers who have piles on her desk and anywhere else that I can stack it. I am getting better, but still have some problems. This summer I went and sorted and got rib of a lot of the clutter. My major problem is my desk area. It is a collect all. Does anyone have any tips of things you do that help you keep you organized? I want to start the year out right.

3. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

I'm normally a very organized person ... but I need help with this too! Especially when other people keep piling stuff on my desk! UGH!

4. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 16, 2009

I'm very organized. I have a lot of file folders and crates to keep everything in. I have those hanging file folders, every worksheet has a place. I also use crates or small boxes for everything in my room. If it doesn't fit anywhere it goes on a shelf. Whenever I have a few free minutes ill pick up around my room. I usually have a few loose papers floating around, but they go in a folder pretty quickly.

5. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 16, 2009

I wish I could be that organized.

6. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

I have a stack of 5 letter trays: In, Read, Hold, Do, File. Everything from my mailbox goes to In. At some point in the day I have to force myself to decide where everything goes (and some go straight to trash!).

Read is for if I want to look through it more carefully at a later time, and Hold is for if it needs to go to someone else. Do are things that need to be acted on.

On my desk I have a file holder that has a file for things that need to be copied, and a file for each day of the week. If I copy things for Tuesday, I put them in there. If we don't finish an assignment on Wednesday, I put it in Thursday so we can pick up on it again.

Oh, and I also have a file in there for Scholastic, Homework, and To Go Home (for all those things they stick in my box to pass out - I prefer to do it all on one day).

I like to be organized but am not good at maintaining it - these 2 systems work for me.

7. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Aug 16, 2009

Try www.mspowell.com for very detailed organization tips!!
    It takes a lot of effort for me to be organized. It does not come naturally to me and I still have trouble with it, but this website has great ideas and every year I find that I implement just a couple more of them to make my life easier.

8. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 16, 2009

this is such a great idea!

I just usually make one big pile and TRY on Fridays to clean it out!:dizzy:

9. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 16, 2009

Thank you Nattles19. I do like the idea of the letter trays. I already do the folders for each day and that does work for me. I think the main thing is to force myself to take care of my mail and other papers on a daily basis. Thanks for the tips.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 16, 2009

http://reallygoodstuff.com/product_details.aspx?item_guid=3dfaaa42-0b43-4294-90c7-5c3323212325
    I have the pocket chart above behind my desk and I have it labeled M-F on each side (so I can file the papers for the next week ahead of time). I use the extra slots for different things - book orders, different committees I am on, extra papers, sub files etc... I had a big file crate on my desk with the days labeled but it took up so much room, the hanging file holder made a huge difference and got my desk cleared off!

11. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 16, 2009

My teammates (5 of them) will do the same thing. This year I'm planning on having a bin for mail from other teachers. I just need to make sure they all understand how it works.

12. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 16, 2009

:eek:My aide is the world's worst for this! She doesn't even make a neat stack. At the end of the day I need a bulldozer to clean off my desk! I like everything neat and tidy and this drives me crazy. I like the idea of a bin for other teachers to put stuff in instead of piling it on my desk. With my planning first thing in the morning I don't have any time througout the day to go through things and I refuse to leave the day with my desk piled high.

Fly lady has some great tips for keeping a tidy room. According to her it all starts with a clean desk. Here's to keeping a neat and tidy desk this year!:thumb: We can do it!

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 16, 2009

I prefer using binders (instead of file folders). I have a bunch of binders labeled:

-Phonemic Awareness
    -Literacy Centers
    -Poetry
    -High-Frequency Words
    -Writing
    -Science
    -Math
    -Social Studies
    -Activities by month (projects for holidays and special occasions)
    -Guided Reading
    -Assessments & Standards

I'm sure I have more, but that's all I can think of right now! I have tabs diving the different topics/themes, and I use the clear sleeves to file everything. I like doing it this way, so that I can see everything as I'm flipping through, and the sleeves allow me to put other materials with the lessons. I have a few things filed in the filing cabinet on my bottom desk drawer (things like book orders, student information, etc.).

Now I have a basket for things that need to be put away, and I try to do it when I have a second.

14. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 16, 2009

We have a small space that has the stackable trays with all of our names on it (6 K teachers and one aide) that serve as grade-level mailboxes. This is where the dept. chair or aide places copies of things we all need or if we want to share an idea/lesson we put it there so it isn't all over your desk and you don't have to walk all over to deliver stuff.

15. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2009

We have something similar, yet those papers still get left by my door, left by my computer or wherever else someone wants to put them.