Organization Help

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderBelle, Jul 9, 2008.

1. KinderBelle

KinderBelle Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

As much as I tried this past year I couldn't get organized. I had papers everywhere and I didn't know what to toss or keep. It seemed I just stacked piles everywhere! If anyone has any ideas for keeping the student's work organized and any help with their portfolios.

3. 1stGr8

1stGr8 Companion

Jul 9, 2008

Hello! For their protfolios, I use a milk crate with hanging folders. The trick is actually filing the papers! I would force myself to do it. What I would do is I would give myself 10 minutes everyday before I left to straighten, file, etc. As far as the papers everywhere, when I was student teaching she had another milk crate with hanging folders that were labeled into sections. From what I remember, the sections were "TO do this week" "To do today" "For the office" "For parents" and then a generic folder where she kept things that she knew she would need, but wasn't sure for what. This system worked for her.

I too often end up with what I call "The Pile". Essentially, a pile of who knows what on the edge of my desk...yikes...hoping for a year without piles lol!!:lol::lol:

4. LKcoby11

LKcoby11 Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

I have two different portfolios for my kiddos: a writing portfolio and and "everything else" portfolio. For the writing portfolio, everytime a child published a piece, I had them put everything (grphic organizer, first drafts, edits and revisions and published copy) in a plastic paper protector and then directly into a 1 1/2 binder specifically for writing pieces. For the other portfolio, each week the students would choose whatever pieces they felt showed their best work or best effort, and placed them into once of those mailbox slot type shelving units. This worked very well for me and it left the organization up to them, not me. ;)

5. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

LKcoby11, what kinds of work did you keep in the "other" portfolio. Just curious . . . :)

6. LKcoby11

LKcoby11 Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

Pretty much anything else that the students chose from class work: reading inventories, quizzes, science/social studies projects, etc.

7. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Jul 9, 2008

This year I am going to assign kids the jobs of filing. I may even have a child stamp papers that arent graded such as morning work and worksheets completed as a class. I am going to have two students file the students papers and make a goal to return all of the studets work for the week on Friday.

8. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 9, 2008

That's a great plan. I have first, so they might be a bit young for stamping, but I will definitely have a filer! I think I'm going to hand stuff back on Mondays in their BEE books, since we have to keep all tests and this might be easier for getting tests signed and returned.

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 9, 2008

With just a regular class, I don't find it too difficult, but a few years ago, when I taught departmental classes, I had over 50 students, and my co-teacher and I just couldn't keep up with it all! We had two parent volunteers who came in each week and filed it all away for me! It was wonderful. We just threw everything that needed to be filed into a big tub, and they took the tub and the files out to a table in the hallway and spent a couple of hours keeping us all organized.

Now, with just 20 students, I can keep up with it.

10. loulou322

loulou322 New Member

Jul 9, 2008

Filing can be overwhelming

I know getting papers graded and filed takes a true dedication in organization! However, be careful in allowing parents file for you...inevitably they are going to compare their own child's work to others in the class, and according to the law of our state, it's against the student's privacy law to post or allow public posting of grades. Just check out your own states laws on the issue before allowing parents or students to view grades of other students.

11. KinderBelle

KinderBelle Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

Thanks so much for all the ideas!!

12. Eneli

Eneli Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

I have tried several filing methods. I don't have an aide. I can't use parent volunteers. I can't do it all myself. On Fridays, I take 15 minutes after lunch and pass out all the student folders and work to be filed. The students organize the folders and then they are collected and put back into the filing cabinet. I review with the children chronological order or sequencing of the papers, I review the proper way to date papers, I teach organization and best of all I get the filing done and out of the way.

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 9, 2008

My middle school principal last year said I spent too much time passing back papers. This is because I would pass back assignments, we would record them in 'grade trackers' (a list of their scores) and then they would put them in the proper section of their science binder. My principal's solution was to create 150 mailboxes, file all the papers myself, and make sure the students got their papers and didn't take anyone else's papers.

Mailboxes are just not meant for certain grades and ages.

14. Trumpers

Trumpers Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

I have had similar problems.. What to file, what to toss, what to put in a folder (portfolio) for each student, what to send home....
    I really want to be more organized this year...

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 9, 2008

You have got to be kidding - right?? This is the most ridiculous organization suggestion I have ever heard. Who created the mailbox and where did you store it??

16. heymrsp

heymrsp Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

I teach 5th Grade ELA - we are departmentalized, so I have 75 students that i keep portfolios on. Last year I only did writing portfolios - I kept one complete assignment, rough draft to final copy, stapled, in a file folder for each student. I had two student helpers from my homeroom take care of it - they were incredibly responsible, and once I showed them my system, they took care of it for me during classroom job times. I just tossed them into a bin, they stamped them with a date stamp, filed them chronologically and that was the end of it. I will continue that this year. I would like to keep other work samples, but am not sure what would be appropriate, since i only teach one subject - I don't know that I would have enough diversity in what is in the folder otherwise.

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 10, 2008

This wasn't her only absurd suggestion, and I quit before it went any further. This was a school that couldn't get me funding for science supples-how were they going to purchase 150 mailboxes? Ah, well. I'm out of that crazy school now.

18. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jul 10, 2008

That is crazy. Good for you for teaching them the responsibility of keeping up with their own grades, and organizing themselves. I really think most middle schoolers need a class in study skills and organization.

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 10, 2008

I've tried the milk crate idea, but it seems like the hanging file folders always fall down!

20. Leeloo

Leeloo New Member

Jul 10, 2008

I did that last year. The students loved it! and me too!!! :lol:
    Another thing, trash what you don't need asap!!:confused:
    Good luck!

21. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 21, 2008

One of my fellow teachers had a great idea for filing. She always did her own filing and my students did mine. Well her weekly folders were always so much more organized and I asked her how she had time to file herself.

Well, she collected papers by last name! Duh. She said it took about a week for her to memorize the order and for the students to get into it but she always had her papers in order to file or enter into the gradebook and she instantly knew who did not turn their work in! She got very fast with her order by the end of the year. I'm going to try this. I'll let you know how this goes.

22. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 21, 2008

simple, but brilliant. I may do this. Thanks!

23. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 21, 2008

For portfolio's I use a combination of this and a milk crate...EXCEPT I use a number with their names. I have to keep track of so many things for my little students (some barely know their own names so I have to track everything) I also got tired of changing the last name on Portfolio Files every year... so I started numbering everything. I really HATE numbering students, but for the most part, they don't know it.

Student #1 is the first kid on my alpha list... usually the last name starts with an A or B. They hang their stuff on hook #1, they sleep on mat #1, their portfolio is hanging file(s) #1, their name is #1 on all my classroom lists, their Thursday Folder is #1, the Book Folder is #1, their Nursery Rhyme Folder is #1, their monthly self portraits folder is #1, their emergency cards are in number order, their name is on their cubbie (name recognition) but they are in number order, my confidential assessments are in number order.....

I can get to anything for any student FAST! You get the picture. I put anything in 1 to 20(??) order really quick to see who is missing. If a student moves, the new student takes their number. It is easier for me to occasionally have to "re-think" where "the newbie" fits in the alpha list than to move everyone around each time. When I taught older kids, I just added them to the bottom since I didn't have to keep track of mats and backpacks...

24. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 21, 2008

I am going to the system that Gem mentioned she did with middle schoolers. I'm going to give students back their work on Friday and we are going to log it into their grading sheets. I will spend about 15 minutes doing it and that will be how I hand back papers. I to like the alphabetical system and will start collecting papers that way. Parents will have to sign the grades over the weekend and that will be how parents will know what their students are earning. I'm getting rid of my mailbox's this year. I HATE them!

I also have a filing system on my desk (see below). I keep the following folders inside:
    ~data folder for kids dibels scores, star scores, etc.
    ~current month (for bulletins, calendars, etc)
    ~important information to keep (things I might need to refer to down the road.

http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalog/sku.jsp?skuId=20792572&searchString=sorter&category_Id=null

I also have a basket behind my desk on the shelf for papers to grade.

This eliminates piles on my desk.

I do need to find a system to file my masters though. They pile up in the cupboard and it's BAD. That is actually my first task when I go back to school....to file last years stuff (how sad)!