Organization/documantation

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by fuzzybunnie, Aug 24, 2008.

1. fuzzybunnie

fuzzybunnie Rookie

Aug 24, 2008

So this is my fourth year teaching full time and I"m still alive and still have a job in a school that I love. Why am I so nervous about tomorrow? Thanks to a community donor and a lot of hard work I've got a beautiful classroom and finally enough room for carpet time. But organization is my weak point, and I haven't got everything in place yet. I'm really anxious that I won't be able to follow through with my organizational plans. The documentation issue is a real biggie--do you write things that happen in the classroom down immediately or wait until after school? I know that by the end of the day I've forgotten entirely why I gave Billy a yellow card in the morning.

I plan on using a spiral bound notebook to record, then photocopying if I need to provide evidence. I figure I can just cover up the parts on the page that relate to other students. I tried cards on a clipboard and a student binder last year but it was too clumsy and difficult to maintain. There's still time--does anyone have any suggestions?

3. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Aug 24, 2008

I would definately write it down immediately so you don't forget! Would it work to have a small 3 ring binder with the dividers and lined paper. You could put their names on the divider tabs and just have it sitting out on your desk so you can just flip to their name and write down whatever needs written down. This could also be a place to write down other things you learn about them or ideas to help them with other things, not just behavior. This would also give you the option to photocopy. If you're really busy in the middle of your lesson you could simply just write a couple of words. johnny throwing crayons on a sticky note and put it on the cover of the binder, so at lunch or the end of the day that will jog your memory and you write about more specifically happened. Johnny threw a crayon across the floor and was given a warning. After his warning he threw another crayon. etc etc

4. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2008

We have Daily planners that go home with our students daily. What I find helpful is to document in their daily logs their misbehavior as soon as it happens, so I won't forget.

5. 1sttchr

1sttchr New Member

Aug 25, 2008

I carry around a clip board with address labels on them. If a student makes a poor choice I jot down what happened on the label with initials or student's number. I then have a binder with a section for each student and blank paper. At the end of the day, I take the label and put it in my class binder behind their name on that blank page and jot down the date. That way when a parent comes, you flip to their child's section and they only see their child's infractions and no copying is needed.

6. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 25, 2008

I set up a binder this year bc I too stunk at documentation. The binder is sectioned off for each student and in each section will be : The student info sheet that parents fill out the first week of school (information such as the kids likes and dislikes, any family issues/events I should be made aware of, best ways to contact parents, ect), a call log, a plastic sheet protector (to throw in all of the little notes that parents or I write to each other, or any missing HW slips, etc.

Now I will also have a spiral notebook that is sectioned off with tabs for each student. This is where I will take notes on a daily basis for kids like behavior issues, missing HW, etc. then at the end of each marking period I will pull out the pages that are already hole punched and transfer them to the binder.

I was also contemplating the idea of having a one page monthly calendar on my desk or in the binder to jot down things very quickly on such as who has no HW or who got in trouble at recess, and then when I have time to write more details in the students' notebook page.

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 25, 2008

It was suggested to me to use sticky notes and folders. You then have the child put their sticky note in their file. I tried it & it didn't seem to work well, the notes got all mixed up.

This year I'm going to use address labels for quick notes & filler paper in a binder. I'll seperate each child with a tab.

8. fuzzybunnie

fuzzybunnie Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

Thanks for all of your ideas. I think I'll try the address labels. I can't carry around a clipboard because I put it down and then forget where it is, but I've got a music stand for my lesson plans and can keep the labels there. I am also going to set up a student binder. Second day and already some issues that need to be recorded . . .