organization advice

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by rosew, Jul 28, 2008.

1. rosew

rosew Companion

Jul 28, 2008

HI..Im going to (hopefully) have my own class in the fall..Ive started putting together ideas,..(our school does letter of the week,)of crafts and songs and books etc.....Im storing the ideas in file folders by letter..but how do I store my craft samples.manipulative ..do you keep them in plastic tubs by letters. or some other way..

thanks for any advice

Rose

3. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 28, 2008

Our Kindergarten teacher uses plastic bins--the size that will fit on a shelf and are about 12 inches wide and 15 inches long and about 6 inches deep and she sorts everything by month-- she keeps copies of papers and activiities they do during that month as well as craft samples that she feels she wil need to look at to remember exactly what and how--otherwise she has the craft ideas written out--everything in each bin is seperated by theme. Myself, this is my second year in preschool 3s and I think I am going to invest in 12 3 -ring binders and put all my activities etc into monthly binders so I have all the themes that I've done in any given month in a single binder so I can jsut flip through it whenI'm doing my planning

4. rosew

rosew Companion

Jul 28, 2008

I bought a couple binders for that..but my craft samples just wont fit in binders..

rose

5. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

I teach all day Pre-K in a public school. I bought plastic bins that are sorta like sarzacsmom talked about (but the lids are attached). When I taught K, I had file boxes for each month.

For Pre-K I have a bin for each letter AND a few topics (A to Z, AND Seuss, plants, insects, Oklahoma, ocean, summer, etc.) I put a die cut letter taped to the front of the bin that I see from where they are stored. There are A LOT of bins but I can keep everything straight since we focus on one letter every week. I started out putting 3 letters in a bin together and then spread them out as I added bins.

I'd personally like to get away from Letter of the Week, but it's what our school does and it's good for organizing at the moment. File folders and binders worked for me on 1st grade and older but Pre-K stuff just doesn't fit.

Go to V. Levin's www.pre-kpages.com and read what she does.... She's good.....

If you are just getting started, you might check out these threads from earlier in the month...
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=61686
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=61440

6. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 29, 2008

I don't usually hold onto craft samples---- I just write out what I did and or put the directions in with the other stuff in the binder and somtimes take a picture of it and put with it

7. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 29, 2008

I use the binders, one for each month and include protective sheets or zip lock bags for the small craft samples,etc. I have bins for general/misc. math & science items & manipulatives that are switched out through the year, then others are in bins by theme/unit. Letter activities are filed in ABC order.
    Library- I have my books sorted by theme & color coded using colored dot stickers (I put different shapes/symbols on each group). I've also included my book/cassette/disc sets that are theme related with the books, with misc. sets kept out in the listening center. I have a list of the books (did on spreadsheet) by theme & also a column that shows what letter of the ABC I might use it with.

8. teresaro

teresaro Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

organization

I put as much of one theme-related materials as I can in tubs. I try to keep things all together to keep from having to go searching for everything.