Oregon ESOL

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by EyeoftheTiger, Oct 12, 2015.

1. EyeoftheTiger

EyeoftheTiger New Member

Oct 12, 2015

Anyone have any pointers for this test? I am taking this test Tuesday morning(10/13) I have been teaching in CA for 13 years and my family and I have decided to move to Oregon for the 2016-2017 school year. I am now having to take all the basic skills tests because cbest is not accepted. I passed the Oregon Civil Right (282) and Elementary Subset I (250) but missed Subset II by 4 points. So you can say my ego took a hit. This will be my first time taking the ESOL so does anyone have any info for me? It would be greatly appreciated.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 12, 2015

Who's telling you CBEST isn't accepted?

4. EyeoftheTiger

EyeoftheTiger New Member

Oct 12, 2015

On the website it said I needed to take CSET. I was teaching before those were required.

5. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Jul 10, 2016

EOTT did you ever make this move from CA to OR? Well even if you're not around it may be of interest to others. I took the CBEST in CA and it was accepted no problem in OR just last year so I think you are wrong about that. Also I was awarded an ESOL credential when I transferred here that I didn't even know I was eligible for or had even requested! Apparently the CTEL I took down in CA which earned me a CLAD credential was transferred as an ESOL endorsement in OR, so you might not have to take any ESOL test at all if you already have the CTEL/CLAD in your pocket.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2016

CBEST is no longer offered in Oregon as a paper-based test, but I don't see Oregon ever not accepting California's basic-skills test. I'd have a stern chat with TSPC (or whatever the acronym is - I'm a bit distracted this morning) about that.

7. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Jul 10, 2016

Good luck getting through on the phones to have a stern talk with TSPC. They are notoriously impossible to contact and if you do get through and have a special case they are not much more helpful than the website. I've heard it's better now than last year, but the only way I ever managed to get through on the phone was to call the exact second the lines opened in the morning, and then if I was lucky it would only be a 15 minute wait on hold. Versus calling any other time of the day when I gave up after being on hold for hours. At one point last year there was about a 3-month wait for an e-mail response.

otterpop likes this.
  8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 11, 2016

That's an issue in California, too. I generally send Californians to the nearest county office of education instead. It's not clear to me what Oregon's equivalent is, at least for the license-and-job applicant, though I suppose it might be the local educational school district (as opposed to the local school district: for instance, Linn-Benton ESD as opposed to Lebanon SD).

9. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Aug 4, 2016

The local ESDs do have lots of people who are experts on various things and are usually quite helpful. Just that with the way the rules keep piling up and changing every year it would be nice to hear it directly from the horse's mouth so to speak before you send lots of money and paperwork their way. I never did get a straight answer on exactly what was going to transfer and what wasn't from CA before I applied for my reciprocal OR credential. My collection of paperwork was completely unique. Some endorsements I had gotten through tests, one was an authorization on another credential, and one didn't really seem to match exactly with the OR equivalent. So I just sort of turned in everything I had and was pleasantly surprised with what finally came back.