Oregon --Coast Jobs??

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by anewstart101, Jul 2, 2014.

1. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jul 2, 2014

I recently drove to Seattle from Los Angeles. I drove along the Oregon coast and I loved it.

I am a special education teacher and I wonder if there are jobs there. I also have a child with autism so I wonder how the schools are.

Stephanie

3. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 2, 2014

they have a special website they use; the name eludes me know but I can look into later tonight and post

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 2, 2014

Special ed is a high needs area in OR so you shouldn't have much of a problem. The coastal cities tend to be really small, though, so there may be fewer educational options for your child when receiving services for autism.

5. Portulaca

Portulaca Rookie

Jul 3, 2014

Our coast is a gorgeous place for sure! Oregon's job website is EdZapp. Pretty much all districts except Portland use it. If you search under the "Northwest Oregon" and "Southern Oregon" tabs it should pull up all the coastal jobs.

https://applicant.edzapp.com/default.aspx?page=JobSearchFree

I live in Eastern Oregon, so I don't know a ton of specific information, but the coastal schools aren't great. Among other issues, the coastal population is skewed toward retirees, and tends to have the school-support problems that often go along with that. Plus, I'm not sure where you're from, but Oregon schools (Western schools in general) are usually not very impressive to people from the Midwest and East. If I were you, I would concentrate on the northern to central coast if at all possible. The southern coast is much more of an isolated and gritty environment overall, and more of a closed society. That has its rewards, but I think it would be very difficult.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 3, 2014

This is all good advice, especially the advice to stick to central and northern cities, unless you want to hunt and ride four wheelers or just live a quiet rural life (nothing wrong with that!). But most young Oregonians don't live in or move to these towns unless they grew up there.

Portulaca, I have never heard about these schools being unimpressive to people specifically from the east and midwest. Do you know why?