Ordering from the Scholastic Book Club

Discussion in 'General Education' started by corps2005, Sep 14, 2007.

1. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Sep 14, 2007

Hello everyone,

TGIF!!! :D I know it's the start of the weekend, but I have a quick question for those of you who order from the Scholastic Book Clubs. Several of my parents are wanting to pay in cash because they don't have checks. :confused: Oh well. How do you handle the payments for the book club? I know I need to give them a receipt. How do I send all this money to Scholastic? Should I send them my own check, so there's only one (and deposit the parent's payments)? Do I hand them to the school and have the school write me a check to send in? Or do I send all the bills and coins to Scholastic? :whistle:

I'd love to know how your classroom does it when it comes to bills and coins :help:

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

3. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Sep 14, 2007

I have not yet done the book club but I am starting this year. Scholastic says not to send cash, so I plan to take all the cash and change and then write a check in my name to Scholastic. However, I'm interested to hear how others do it as well!

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 14, 2007

Well I asked for parents to make checks out to me or send cash. Than I order online and pay with my credit card. But than I found out they can make checks out to scholastic and I can just mail them in. I'm thinking about doing that allow parents to order online thing. Has any one done that?

5. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Sep 14, 2007

I give my parents 2 options, a check for the total amount of the order(s) made out to Scholastic Book Clubs or cash(exact amount). If they give me cash, I use my own personal check and make it out for the total amount of cash given to me. Then I mail the checks in.

P.S. Parents do not have to make out separate checks for each order form (if you give out more than one for that month) they can make out one check for the total amount of the order(s).

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2007

Our school requires us to send the money to the office and then they write a school check for the order. I like it that way because then I don't have personal liability for the money.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 14, 2007

I do it the same as Eduk8 me.

8. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2007

I do not accept cash!!! Parents must write the checks out to scholastic book clubs and I mail them in after placing my order via phone. I tired doing my order on line and just did not like it. I found that it got confusing with coupons and bouns points!
    I have never had the issue of a parent not having checks. Perhaps they can get money orders? I do not know if Scholastic accepts them or not?

9. janlee

janlee Devotee

Sep 14, 2007

I always ask for parents to make their check out to Scholastic. Once in a while I will get cash. When that happens I deposit the cash into my personal account and make a check. I will not accept a check made out to me. I do not want the hassle of it bouncing. If a check is made out to me I send it back home and ask for it to be made out to Scholastic. I always call me order in. I usually have extra coupons and I want to be sure they are credited to my account. Then I just mail all of the checks to Scholastic. I have been doing it this way for over 20 years.

10. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Sep 14, 2007

I have my parents send a check made out to Scholastic or they send me cash. Then I write a check to cover that amount. I always do my order online and then mail in the checks.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 14, 2007

My parents usually pay with checks, but if they pay cash I have the school write a check.

12. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Sep 14, 2007

I have parents fill out checks made payable to Scholastic. This first book order of the year, I received two cash payments, and in the interest of getting the order out on time, I wrote a check myself for those payments--but I plan on going over this at Back-to-School night and then sending a reminder with the Oct order.

13. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Sep 14, 2007

I used to let them bring in cash and then write a check myself, but we are not allowed to do that anymore.

Now, the parents that do not have a checking account must send in a money order. This is the easiest way and they can make the money order out to Scholastic just like a check.

I've had lots of parents to do this. Then I don't get in trouble with the office and everyone is happy with checks or money order.;)

14. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Sep 14, 2007

I take checks or cash. I put the cash into my checking account and then write out a personal check for the amount. However, I try to discourage cash by only talking about checks in my letter.

15. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Sep 14, 2007

Parents either send in checks made out to scholastic, or tehy pay with cash. I'll then write my own personal check to scholastic. Either way is fine with me. The original poster talked about giving receipts, I have never done that. Is that a rule at your school? I'm in a Christian school, so I have a lot more flexibility when it comes to things like this I think.

16. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Sep 14, 2007

i allow checks to scholastic only (i don't want to deal with bounced checks) or cash. i pay online with cc. not only do i earn scholastic points, but miles on my cc, and i save receipt and turn in for tax purposes....

17. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2007

I accept checks made out to Scholastic (NOT to me) or cash. Last year I also did the online thing. You give the parents your class username and password and they can order online and pay with a credit card.

Whatever cash I get I either write a check myself or order them online and pay with my credit card. I guess I never thought to check on the district policy for accepting the cash. I've been doing it for the past 8 years and haven't had any issues come up, though.

18. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2007

I tell my parents to make their checks out to Scholatic Book Clubs; if they happen to send cash; I used to purchase a money order (45 cents at the convenience store); but I just deposit the cash and write out a personal check.

19. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2007

I have the parents make out their check to Scholastic. I will not accept cash. I rarely go to the bank so I don't want to worry about depositing the money. I always order online, simple and quick!

20. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Sep 14, 2007

I do it the same way.

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 14, 2007

Great that means I have to send another update. never thought of bounced checks. LOL. I think I'll try doing that order online thing.

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2007

I am glad this thread was started cuz I just got my first scholastic "catalogs" today. Anyone have any luck selling them to high schoolers?

23. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Sep 14, 2007

Last year I accepted any form of payment. I figured giving them more options would increase the amount of the orders. This year I just signed up for the online payment for parents. I have always made the class order online. It is sooo easy. I hope the online thing for parents is easy too

24. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 15, 2007

I accepted checks made out to scholastic and I took cash and used my own check.
    I mailed in the checks with the order.

25. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2007

Sorry, my students are preschoolers. I'm wondering if high school students would pass along the Scholastic form to their folks?

26. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 15, 2007

I write on every order slip NO CASH. If a kid brings cash in, I send it home in an envelope and remind them to send a check by a certain date. For a few years, I kindly wrote my own check to cover it, but not any more. I send in my order with the parent checks. It's too much trouble to get over to the other building to fax it and I don't feel like ordering by phone.

27. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 15, 2007

Daisy,
    Why don't you don't it online? It is just to much hassle? I never ever remember to put stuff in the mail.

Going to go see how to sign up to let parents order online.

28. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2007

I am kind of thinking they might even spend their own money on stuff. (Highschoolers spending their own money on books - dare I dream?) So I think I will accept cash for that reason.

29. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Sep 15, 2007

Hi Stephernie,

Yes, our school requires that we give out a receipt. They haven't told me anything about what to do with the money, but I am glad that I see many other teachers who deposit the money, and then write one check. The receipts are so that parents can't come back and say that they paid more money in cash. :p

30. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Sep 15, 2007

I think I will start allowing parents to use checks too, if made out to Scholastic Book Club. I didn't want to deal with the hassle of bounced checks, which happens a lot.

31. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 15, 2007

:unsure: Jaime - I don't have a computer in my classroom. :down:

32. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2007

Upsadaisy,

I always call in my order and send the checks out that same day or the next. It's usually quick and the reps are very pleasant and cooperative.
    I decided to get an "online account" just for the heck of it; but I'm going to stick with calling in my orders at this point.

33. jellokites

jellokites Rookie

Sep 15, 2007

I request checks only. If they send me cash, I will take it the first time....but its hard to make sure $$ is in the checking account. Its just easier if they write a check. You can give them the option to pay online also.

34. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 15, 2007

Just make sure you keep all your documentation. I had an issue with Scholastic last year over $28. I mailed the checks as soon as I placed the online order. I always log the check number and amounts so I was able to go back and ask those two parents if their checks had cleared. Both had. Scholastic was threatening a collection agency. I talked to them several times over the amount. Most were matter of fact about it. One was excessively rude and I hung up on her after she called me a liar. Finally I called, myself, and spoke to someone about it. I got a number to fax copies of my log. I told them that they would not get $28 from me and that chances were good that they would never get another order from me. I have since gotten paperwork stating that the account now has a zero balance and apologizing for what happened. They have even sent me a $15 coupon to use as a payback for what I went through. I still haven't ordered, though, and don't know if I will again.

35. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 15, 2007

I had an issue over less than $20 with them. I just stuck my ground and kept repeating my response that the charge was for items never delivered. They resent them and finally just gave up trying to get the money from me.

I should really call the order in - to save time.

36. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Sep 15, 2007

Eeks, that worries me. I guess I will stick with calling in orders. Then again, online orders have records too, right?

37. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2007

That's what I do, and I don't take any cash, period. Well, that's what I tell the parents, anyway...if a child brings me $2.95 in cash for one book, I'm not sending it back home. I write a check from my own account and keep the cash. I mark on the child's order form, "paid in cash." When I hand out the books, I clip the original order form with it and that acts as a receipt.
    Kim

38. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2007

Yes, you can print a copy of your order right after submitting it.
    Kim

39. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2007

I'm surprised to hear that some of you have had issues with Scholastic. (Not that I don't believe you. Just surprised to hear it.) They've always been so friendly when I've had to call about stuff. A few times a book that was ordered was not in the box. (Even though it was listed on the packing sheet.) I just called and said it wasn't sent and they sent out another copy with no questions asked.

My order is always a combination of checks (that parents wrote and I send in) and credit card over the internet (for the books that I order). It has always gone smoothly.

I find it very simple to order over the internet. I usually just do it from home at night after my son goes to bed.

40. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 15, 2007

In all of my years of ordering from them it's the only problem I've had. Over the years I've had books not sent which they took care of immediately, each usually with a coupon for a free book $2.95 or less for the child. (Each time it was only one book that wasn't sent.) I've had a couple of times where there were extra books sent. I always contact them and they always say just keep them. (Once was a set of Chronicles of Narnia. The treatment that I got over that $28, though, was unbelievable. I had ignored the first bill because it came with the books and I knew it had taken the checks a couple of days to get there. Then I got the second bill and that's when I started checking things out. It just went downhilll from there. I think part of it was I was just in shock. I had called thinking I was just going to explain that I had paid and I thought it was a mistake and they were immediately ugly and defensive. It just really surprised me.

41. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2007

I will take checks to Scholastic Book Clubs or cash in the EXACT amount only. I will not give change, as I rarely have it on me! If they bring in $3.00 for a $2.95 item, I will give the nickel to the child IF I have it. If I don't, they don't get it! As for cash, I just write a check for the amount, and keep the cash. I don't worry about depositing it, as I will likely be at the ATM soon anyway! Writing a check is not a big deal for me, as I am often purchasing items myself. As a new teacher, I don't have very many bonus points!! I am saving them up in case I want to buy a large set that is fairly expensive.
    I submit my order on-line and then mail in the checks as requested.
    I would like to try to let parents order on line, but I am unsure....