order for introducing letters

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by hillsidefogo, Sep 11, 2003.

1. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Sep 11, 2003

Somewhere on this site a teacher mentioned a method of introducing letters that encourages the children to start reading words as soon as they learn a few letter sounds. Something like teaching the sound of a and t first and then making rhyming words 'bat' 'sat' etc. I thought it sounded like a good idea and would like to get more info on what order the letters go in. This year I'm blessed with a lot of children who recognize all letters already and some letter sounds so I think this method would work really well. Please reply if you know what I'm talking about.
    Dawn :)

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Sep 11, 2003

reading books soon

I don't know how to get you to another thread other than the search. Maybe what you are referring to is the thread on 07-21-2003 that was "Is there any specific way to teach the alphabet".

I made the post on that thread (the long one) about order, links for beginner books, etc. I introduce "ten small words" http://pbskids.org/lions/printables/coloring/heath2.html and the song "Ten Small Words": http://pbskids.org/lions/songs/ and the letters P, N, then A. We get our first two books when we get to A--"Nap in a Pan", and "On a Pan".

4. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Sep 11, 2003

I have also found that teaching 'most common first' helps kids experience reading and invented spelling more quickly. Wish I could point you to the method you are looking for...:confused:

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 11, 2003

check the printables on atoz

Hi, I created the lessons on amanda's site for rhyming words. take a look at the printables.
    I usually start with the at et it ot ut
    am im um
    ad ed id od ud
    ar er ir or ur

Take a look at the listings there are enough there to keep a new reader going for a long while.

6. AJK

AJK Pre-k Montessori Teacher

Sep 12, 2003

I do a b c m t first :)

7. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Sep 12, 2003

This is the order that I use--the philosophy is that it starts with the first sounds that a child develops and move through to harder ones--makes sense to me. I personally think this is a great approach when working with pre-k kids because they haven't yet developed some the later sounds.

M S B R P N T G C F D H J L K W X Q V Y Z A I O U E

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Sep 12, 2003

Bricks and Mortar system

One system I use sounds sort of like what you are looking for. The first card introduces the vowels on a circle chart along with their sounds. Then letters are added to each vowel around the circle. The first is p_p form (pap, pep, pip, pop, pup, puppy). After that is the h_t form (hat, het, hit, hot, hut, putty). Next is with b_d and so on.

It is called Bricks and Mortar and there is information here http://www.happychild.org.uk/bkm/index.htm

I liked this system because when I learned to read many long years ago, the teacher went fast and I hadn't the foggiest idea what the other kids were even muttering, ah, eh, what? I couldn't figure out what she was doing or why. There was no visual association to the letter with the sound, just rote repetition, which I didn't understand. It was gibbersish so I just sat there lost. I learned to read without knowing vowels had sounds, memorizing all the words. Boy was I in shock when I started teaching and found out you could actually sound out words!

9. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

Sep 12, 2003

Hi there hillsidefogo

Not sure if you found the link but here it is... hope it helps:

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3357

BTW, my parents were visiting out your way last month and just loved it. They said that they visited an old schoolhouse there on the island, any chance that you teach there? They showed me pictures of the island... just beautiful!

10. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Sep 13, 2003

Thanks to everyone for helping me out. I have a few places to start now.
    Hi 'Miss Karen', I can't believe that someone connected to this site has visited my little part of the world-wonderful! Too bad I couldn't have met your parents, we live in an old merchants house-3 stories with 10 bedrooms and lots of places to clean! It's right across the road from the Bleakhouse Museum so your parents may have noticed it. Actually, the people who owned Bleakhouse built our house as their 'new house' in 1907, it's called Hillside hense my e-name. No I didn't teach in the old schoolhouse-it's about 200 years old. But when I first came here I taught in a little 3 room school on the other side of the island. We had 42 students from k to 3 and 3 teachers. We didn't have much in supplies or equiptment but we had great fun. Then the big school was built in the center of the island and the children had to get used to being with 520 other students from k to 6! It was a big adjustment. Now with the fishery in trouble our enrollment has gone down to about 190 from k to 6 but we have lots of room to work in.
    Dawn:)

11. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

Sep 13, 2003

My brother lives in Labrador and his in-laws have a cottage on the island. My folks went down there to visit ( they are from Ontario.) They couldn't stop talking about how much they loved it, especially the culture. They visited the museum so were right across the road from you..... what a small world eh?

12. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Sep 15, 2003

Unbelievebly(is that a word?) small, Miss Karen. Come visit sometime- I have lots of room!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

13. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

Sep 15, 2003

I may just take you up on that offer.... we plan on a trip to the atlantic provinces eventually... I'll look you up!!