oral reading fluency

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sjcgirl07, Mar 5, 2010.

1. sjcgirl07

sjcgirl07 Companion

Mar 5, 2010

What type of reading instruction would you use if you are monitoring oral reading fluency. What type of instruction would be best to help with that and show that asssesments in oral reading fluency are approving.

3. wrice

wrice Habitué

Mar 6, 2010

First, I would make sure all my students' questions ended in question marks.

Monitoring oral reading fluency consists of having students read well-chosen reading passages with known difficulty and progression, and noting number and types of errors as well as speed and inflection.

There is no reading instruction specific to that, as all reading instruction supports oral reading fluency- decoding, prefixes/suffixes and compound words, the meaning of punctuation, grammar and the relationships of words, the structure of paragraphs with topic, supporting, and concluding sentences; all this instruction would likely influence oral reading fluency.

Beware, your professor may well be on this forum too!

4. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 6, 2010

I like SRA. It increases oral fluency AND comprehension, which should always go together.

5. sjcgirl07

sjcgirl07 Companion

Mar 7, 2010

I just heard a teacher discussing oral reading fluency when I subbed in a school recently. It just didn't seem like there was alot of reading instruction going on with any students in the school. It doesn't seem like past 1st grade they even teach reading anymore in schools. The other day i spent all day in a first grade classroom and all they did was math and a little bit of writing. It just seemed strange to me that if they are checking students for fluency in reading that they should be teaching it as well.

6. sjcgirl07

sjcgirl07 Companion

Mar 7, 2010

They had teachers out all day doing assessments on students in reading..but if they aren't teaching it how do the students learn?

7. sjcgirl07

sjcgirl07 Companion

Mar 7, 2010

Then it makes me think does this differ from state to state?

8. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 7, 2010

Most of our day is geared toward correcting fluency and comprehension so yes it differs from state to state.