Oral contract. Now position is posted for other applicants

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Native_SC, May 20, 2015.

1. Native_SC

Native_SC Rookie

May 20, 2015

Hey all,

I'm a recent graduate and was hired to teach at a great school. After I was hired, the principal said she'd contact me soon about signing a contract. This happened about a week ago. Just this morning, I looked at my district's job board and the position I've already accepted was posted. I'm thinking it may be a requirement to post the position. (I was hired after a job fair and the position was never officially posted before they hired me). However, I'm wondering if my oral contract is enough to rely on. I'm thinking of calling the principal, but I don't want to jump the gun and sound like I don't trust her word.

In general, are oral contracts usually honored? Do you think I need to call the principal right away or should I relax a little and wait for a contract?

Thanks,

G.L.

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

May 20, 2015

No real inside information, but this would make me uncomfortable and anxious as well.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 20, 2015

Many states require positions to be posted for a certain amount of time by law. I wouldn't worry too much, but I would contact the principal and just say something like, "I'm really excited about beginning work next year, and I was wondering if there was any specific training dates you would like me to attend this summer or any materials/curriculum I need to focus on developing..." or something like that.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 20, 2015

Are you certain that it's for the position you were offered? Is it possible that they opened up a second similar position?

Is there any chance that there is something wrong with your license and/or references?

I think that it would be fine to call the principal's secretary and ask when a good time to come in and sign your contract would be. See how they respond to that.

6. Native_SC

Native_SC Rookie

May 20, 2015

Thanks, Pashtun. Anxious is the right word. I even turned down another job offer for this school. The principal seems trustworthy, but she made her decision quickly (along with the other teachers on the panel) when she found out I had a pending job offer. I am a little worried that more experienced teachers heard about this opening. It is at one of the best schools in the state, so it is an attractive position.

I did receive and accept an oral job offer in front of the whole interview panel, so I hope that's enough. Still, like you said, I'm a little uncomfortable that the job is posted as available.

7. Native_SC

Native_SC Rookie

May 20, 2015

I'm sure it's the only position in the school. I just graduated and am waiting for my grad school to post my degree. I can't become certified until the degree posts, which is frustrating but it's something that every new teacher goes through in my state. The principal was aware that my certification is pending. My references are absolutely rock solid. I'm not worried about them at all.

8. Native_SC

Native_SC Rookie

May 20, 2015

Thanks, I like that approach but I'm afraid my nerves would show through and I'd sound insincere and freaked out :whistle:

Maybe in a couple of days, I can make a calm (and clever) phone call like that... Or I could probably swing that in an email...

9. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

May 20, 2015

I think you are probably good. I was offered my position in mid June and they didn't actually get the contract drawn up until almost a month later- my district can be a bit slow! We are also very slow to take down filled positions from the vancancies list. I know for certain there was a position that was filled a week ago today and it's still listed as an open position.

Hang in there! If you haven't heard by the end of the week, I think it would be okay to give the principal a call or email, just to check in :)

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 20, 2015

Is there no human resource department in this district? That is generally who takes over and completes all of the paper work once the administrators decide on who they want. If there is HR, I would call them - no nerves around the principal, but just the nuts and bolts of what happens going forward.

11. Native_SC

Native_SC Rookie

May 20, 2015

There is an HR department. Today, I submitted an online application for this position I've already accepted :confused:. I think I'll email the principal first and ask about dates during the summer she might want me to be available (as bandnerdtx suggested). If she doesn't get back to me, I'll contact HR and see if I can learn anything about why the position was posted as open.

I'm feeling a little less anxious about it after reading these replies. Thanks.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 20, 2015

I've read all the replies and I have a different take on the matter. Maybe it is because I've been around a lot longer than the majority of posters, but I have learned that beating around the bush just makes me more nervous. I would contact the P and be straight up. Tell him that you saw the job posted and it made you nervous. Just ask if the job is still yours. Most principals tend to like upfront people, in my opinion.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 20, 2015

I agree.

14. Native_SC

Native_SC Rookie

May 20, 2015

Thanks for all the advice. This is an awesome, very positive forum. I'm assuming things are fine. I talked to a teacher I know and she said the district is required to post each position for a certain number of days even if they already know who they're hiring.

When I contact the principal soon, I'll just ask her about preparing for next year, which is what I really want to be focused on. :)

15. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

May 20, 2015

It could be a lot of things:

1) Your references didn't check out and now she's looking for a replacement.
    2) She didn't tell anyone she was hiring you.
    3) District doesn't give her the power to actually hire and is posting position.
    4) It isn't your position.

In all cases, you need to reach out and say, "hey, I'm just checking in to see about the contract, etc." Don't mention you know the job has been posted.

16. Remo

Remo New Member

May 21, 2015

my district can be a bit slow! We are also very slow to take down filled positions from the vancancies list. I know for certain there was a position that was filled a week ago today and it's still listed as an open position.

17. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 21, 2015

In our district, you aren't actually hired until all the paperwork is done and you have been approved at the next monthly school board meeting.

But, I would call and ask.

18. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 21, 2015

I agree with being upfront. Call today, and just get it over with.

19. Native_SC

Native_SC Rookie

May 21, 2015

Happy ending

Just to update my situation, I called the principal and went with the more circumspect/diplomatic route. I asked if there were any training dates I should be try to be in town for this summer. She gave me a date in July. And then, to really resolve the whole matter, she said I should apply for my position online when it posted so she can start the paperwork for my contract.

So yeesh, just a total rookie mistake. Of course, it would've been nice if I'd known in advance that the district did things this way. I suspect I'll be thinking that more than a few times my first year.... But overall I'm glad that I can shift my thinking toward preparation instead of worrying if I really, really had this great position.

20. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 21, 2015

Terrific news! Just go through the formalities.

21. leeshis0019

leeshis0019 Companion

May 21, 2015

Awesome!

Yes, they usually HAVE to post the position and look at applicants, but that doesn't mean they will accept them.

Going the online route is generally for HR. They need that information to run background checks, etc. before officially accepting you. You might get a call soon from HR asking if you want the position.

When I was interviewed at my school, the department head told me to submit my things through the online system because HR had to get it that way. It's illegal any other way (at least around here). They called me a couple of days later asking if I wanted the position. All I could think was "umm...duh?". I'm glad I didn't say it out loud because now I know a few at the HR dept. well and that would not have been a good start.