Options for kids that love Captain Underpants???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by missdgr3, Oct 18, 2008.

1. missdgr3

missdgr3 Rookie

Oct 18, 2008

A lot of my kids LOVE Captain Underpants...but it's starting to irk me. I'm happy they found a series that they like, however for a bunch of my readers, these books are too easy. Does anyone have any book suggestions for kids who like Captain Underpants?? Especially some suggestions for my higher readers (DRA Levels 30-38).

Thanks! :)

3. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Oct 18, 2008

Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Rodrick Rules are at the 4th grade level.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 18, 2008

Magic Tree House, American Girl series, Ramona, Stuart Little, Charlotte's Web.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 19, 2008

Try Hank Zipzer or maybe Dork in Disguise or The Boy Who Ran for President as a book for these students. Apparently they like humor. All of these are about on fourth grade level, maybe fifth, but some third-graders can handle it.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 19, 2008

I don't want to open a can of worms here, but I just saw Michael Thompson speak. He's a psychologist who writes about boys and education.

He said let them read Captain Underpants- who care's if it's not what teachers like to read, or if it's not high brow enough! Kids love it- they're reading, they are decoding some very challenging words (made up words that require good decoding skills) and it's a huge series, so the kids can read and read and read.

Another great series for boys is Rotten School. My boys loved it. They have very catchy titles like The Big Blueberry Barf Off. Sure to capture any boys attention. They might be one level up from CU. Ricky Ricotta is a little less graphic but the level below CU. If you have strong readers, both boys and girls in my class last year liked the Warriors series, which is about cat clans.

The tastes of adult females and young boys is probably never going to be on the same level! Boys love bathroom humor and action! Most women love emotions and stories that show character development. Young boys are just not going to get into the stories we like- at least not most boys.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 19, 2008

That is true, but how will they get exposed to good literature if all they choose is the junk?

8. frogger

frogger Devotee

Oct 19, 2008

I think if you see students reading Capt Underpants and enjoying it when you conference with them and talk about the book (or something like that) then you could also make other suggestions to them and say if you like CU you might like this and give it to them as their next book to read or something like that. So it doesn't negate their choice and taste but also exposes to them other types of books and expanding their taste and views.

9. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Oct 19, 2008

I've taught my students (and use myself) scholastic's teacher book wizard, for 1 reading level above Captain Underpants it recommends: (books in a series)

Time Warp Trio
    Secrets of Droon
    Magic Tree House
    Deltora Quest

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 19, 2008

I conference with my students (I am this week, too, in reading centers) about what interests them book-wise. Some in my class do read Captain Underpants, but they also read better books. O encourage them to read whatever holds their interest but also "advertise" a plethora of "good books" to them.