Oprah Aug 7, 2008

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ku_alum, Aug 8, 2008.

1. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

Anyone catch the Oprah Special Report, Schools in Crisis?

What do you think? Comments, impressions?

It's completely worrisome to me. We do pretty good at my school, but I still worry about my kiddos taking off to college (they've been so sheltered in our little community, many have been in the same building since kindergarden!) When I see shows like this I feel the weight of responsibility of being a teacher pulling extra hard and I get angry about all of the *crap* I have to do in my class that pulls me away from giving ALL my energy to teaching. I try, but there are so many other things that we deal with.

(On a side note, this is strange ... I was at an Oprah taping in 2006 for a Schools in Crisis show [complete coincidence that I was in the audience for this show, I got tickets from the hotel I was staying]. Two shows were taped that day, both about schools. It aired in May or so of '06. On TODAY'S show, her hair and outfit were the same, the topic was the same, the audience guests (an ed expert, a mom) were the same, but almost all of the segments were different. There was not reporting by Lisa Ling or Anderson Cooper at the tapings. I assume this is a rerun or a recombo of previous tapings, but I guess I am not knowledgeable of the magic of television!) :)

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

I watched it also, and what was most distressing to me is that the original air date was 2 years ago, yet we've not seen any improvements in education since then.

I was pleased to see that Oprah did not engage in the usual teacher bashing that tends to accompany these types of programs.

4. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

I was pleased to see that Oprah did not engage in the usual teacher bashing that tends to accompany these types of programs.[/QUOTE]

I caught the very end and was hoping that wasn't the case!

5. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2008

Well I started watching it and it was pretty interesting. Then Breaking News cut in. Our "wonderful" mayor in Detroit was thrown in jail so that took over the air waves. I couldn't watch the rest of it!

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 8, 2008

I'm pretty sure that that Oprah show was from last season. I didn't catch it yesterday though, was it the Bill and Melinda Gates one where they went to Harper High School, in Chicago? Harper got the pool fixed and then this past school year they closed Harper and it is a "turn around school." Meaning they kick all the teachers out and make them reapply for their jobs. Also- one of the KIPP schools in Chicago closed down.

7. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

I saw this episode last year and yesterday. It is very scary that these problems are so prevelant in America, yet even with the time that has passed there seems to be little difference in the changes that need to be made.

It is really sad that there doesn't seem like anything more we can do, on a national level to help the most children succeed and learn in the classroom.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

Did anyone think, "uh-oh, if the education system is re-vamped, will they need me as a teacher?"

9. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 8, 2008

Well a lot of the "revampments" they have done in Chicago haven't been to successful, so I'm not getting worried yet. Sometimes I do worry about not being bilingual or trilingual though.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

The joys of living in metro Detroit! End of hijack, back to my thoughts on what I saw.

I think it was during that part that the Oprah show talked about a suburban school that is also having difficulties.

For these kids that drop out, where are their parents? Why are they dropping out and why aren't there more steps in allowing a child to drop out.

11. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2008

In the short part I was able to watch very little was said about holding parents responsible. I really don't know how to do that but I really think our society needs to put a lot of responsibly on the parents along with the school system.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 8, 2008

I'm glad someone is publicly recognizing the issues we deal with. Whenever I hear politicians and such talk about it, I just think people out there really don't know how bad it is in some respects- drop out rates, testing, low funding, widespread standardization, etc. If people don't have kids in school or have kids and don't notice it's going to be hard to get the support we need to fix things.

If it's the one I think I saw - the story that touched my heart was the student who was an honor student in HS and went to college and just struggled because she never had the exposure to labs and technology other kids had. We want all kids to go to college and the ones who actually go shouldn't have to struggle because their schools are under-funded.

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2008

ditto turtle...

you must know Spanish, Polish and Arabic around here...

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2008

I saw the other night... one of those late nights...

What gets me, and this is JMO...but why is she spending money on building schools in Africa when she can see the trouble our own schools are having here?! She defended herself saying it's her money, and all that jazz. But, that ended up biting her in the behind!!

Just makes you wonder..

just my 2cents!

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2008

btw... now Rev. Meeks wants to try the same thing... bus CPS kids over to Naperville or somewhere like that...just so they can see what they are missing.

But noo..that is too controversial...it won't happen. Powers that be and CPS complain because they lose money on that critical first day. Suburbs know they don't have to do anything without proof of residency.

Yet, Oprah did it.

Makes you wonder...