Oprah 4/04

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by cMcD, Apr 4, 2008.

1. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 4, 2008

Today's episode is on puppy mills.

I'm about to cry. I've always knew how puppy mills treated their dogs, but this is horrible. I'm disgusted. Dogs are used to breed every heat cycle. One dog didn't know how to walk on the floor because it was so used to standing in a wire cage. They are not socialized.

Spay and neuter your pets!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2008

I won't be watching this show! I can't stand the way that these people treat animals. It's disgusting!

4. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 4, 2008

This is why you should never buy a dog from a pet store. Most dogs in pet stores are from puppy mills. Good breeders don't sell their puppies to pet stores.

5. sadundercover

sadundercover Companion

Apr 4, 2008

cMcD,

I was just going to start a thread about this. I will be watching today at 4. I will have the tissues ready. I am so familiar with puppy mills from my previous volunteer work at a shelter and because of my aunt's experiences. She bought a dog years ago from a mill and he had SO many problems and died very young. That was before she really knew about this. These disgusting mills/backyard breeders make me sick. I wish we could stop the pet stores and the people who should not be breeding-there are so many of them. My friend inherited a dog from her sister, who bought him from a bad breeder. He is a mess. I don't even want to know what happened to his littermates. :( I am thrilled Oprah is doing a show on this.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2008

You know that when Oprah gets involved, things change. :)

7. sadundercover

sadundercover Companion

Apr 4, 2008

I hope so, Smalltown. I was shocked when I learned about the mills initially and I realize that many people just don't know. I hope this show opens many, many eyes. Someone needs to speak for these animals.

I pray for these animals every day. I look into my dog's eyes and I can't even imagine her suffering and then I think about these animals who are not loved. I wish I would win a huge lottery so I could start a rescue. I would love that.

8. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 4, 2008

I couldn't believe that they make the female get pregnant every heat cycle. I read that you should breed every 3 heat cycles. They showed a dog that had tumors because she nursed so much. They predicted that one cocker spaniel had given birth about 140 times. She was 7 years old. Cocker spaniels usually have 9-10 pups in a litter twice a year. That's 140 pups! After that many you have to wonder about the quality of the pup after the mother has had so many litters.

These mills are in business because Americans are keeping them in business buy purchasing dogs from pet stores.

If you want a pure bred that's fine, but go to a registered breeder. My parents used to breed English Springer Spaniels. Personally, I believe in getting dogs from shelters. Mixed breeds tend to have less health problems than pure breds.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2008

I find it odd that only now will Oprah get her dogs from a pound or shelter. I mean she's so into help the less fortunate...aren't animals in that boat. I am glad she's doing this to open many eyes.

We got our dog from the pound & loved her as a kid!!! I wouldn't get a dog from any where else!!!

10. kburen

kburen Cohort

Apr 4, 2008

While I'm with all of you and agree on spaying and neutoring your pets...it makes me wonder.....My favorite are the mixed breeds...If the only pets that we can get eventually (and i'm not talking anytime soon, and it probably will never happen...but I'm just thinking outside the box here) are purebreeds...I'd be very sad! My 2 babies are what I call "pound puppies" and my friend calls "Hines 57" dogs. They are a mix of at least 3 different breeds. One of them is seriously a hines 57 because even the vets can't tell what she is! She was picked up with her litter at a dump where she was left...I got her at the pound. My other one, was also from an "accidental" litter, but I adopted her through craigslist from the mothers owner. She's a mix of lab, shepard, and terrior. They're both a lot cuter (in my head) than a purebreed!

11. sadundercover

sadundercover Companion

Apr 4, 2008

Kburen,

I am so with you! We call my dog half pitbull/half we have no clue.:lol:

She is from a shelter. She is my angel. I will never get a dog from anywhere other than a rescue or shelter. I love shelter animals!

When I was volunteering at another shelter and saw nightmarish and horribly disgusting things that people do to animals, I was appalled and depressed. I felt like people who got dogs from anywhere else were mean.:eek: Then I realized that many people are set on a certain breed. My neighbor is one of those. BUT he gets his dogs from one breeder. The breeder is registered and the dogs have been checked for the health issues. You have to be on a waiting list to get one of these dogs-they will never place an ad because they have arranged the homes ahead of time, which is what is supposed to be done. They breed, I believe, every other year or couple of years. They actually also rescue, and my neighbor has one of those dogs now.

I hope that Oprah's show encourages and promotes rescue/adoption. At the same time, I also hope people who want a certain breed will understand why they must go to a responsible breeder. Some will say that there are no responsible breeders, but I know there are and since people want certain dogs, I would rather see them go the responsible route than buy from a mill or shop. It is not my choice, but I try to let people know that if they are patient and research, they can have "their" breed (of course, I promote adoption and rescue first).

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 4, 2008

I've worked in animal rescue before, and yes, puppy mills, (clueless) backyard breeders, and animal hoarders that get out of control are all terrible issues to contend with.

I agree with much of what you are saying, but please remember that shelter dogs are OFTEN discarded puppy mill dogs (the puppy that was bought for $500 at a pet store, and then grew up to be unmanagable and with a slough of health problems.) Many of the puppies available are the results of "backyard breeders" who don't know what they are doing, and then can't sell the puppies for this huge profit they imagined...and they drop the pups off at the shelter in order to cut their losses.

Many shelter dogs are angels, but there are many, many more who have bitten, been abused and will respond with fear aggression (a horrible mix if you have young children!) and are so unsocialized that it can never be fixed.

All I'm saying is go into it with you eyes wide open.

I agree mixed breeds have advantages, but so do purebred dogs from reputable breeders.

I've adopted many shelter/rescue dogs, and can tell you, some are more heartbreak than you'd ever want to go through.

Just go into it with your eyes WIDE open!

13. Calliope

Calliope Companion

Apr 4, 2008

My last dachshund was a rescue from a puppy mill raid. She had been bred every time she had gone into heat. She was in a pen with 20 other dogs outside with no shelter. There were multiple males in the pen, so when a girl went into heat she couldn't get away from not just one male, but all of them. Of course it caused fights. Nixie had a big tear through her ear that we assume happened because of the males fighting during her heat cycle.

Nixie lived a very different life after she came here. She was was social for a puppy mill dog. She was our sailboat & camping companion & slept in her own special place in our bedroom.

I could get on a soapbox, but I don't have to, I know. I can't save them all. I just try to take some comfort in the fact that I have rescued 5 "unwanted" dogs so far in my life.