Oppression Explained

Discussion in 'General Education' started by EmptyClassroom, May 14, 2014.

1. EmptyClassroom

EmptyClassroom Rookie

May 14, 2014

ROFL...after several years of unofficial and official complaints to the man himself, the school, local and state union and school officials, etc., it finally came out that our head school administrator has a mental issue that explains his erratic behaviors, off-the-wall comments and actions, and over-the-top/bullying responses to questions or comments about them. The consensus seems to be we should overlook him because he has diagnosed mental problems and doesn't always know what he's saying or doing. While we are reassured his medication, once adjusted, will control the issues, I'm left feeling just as helpless as ever! While I've not been on the extreme end of his actions, my evaluations and questions have resulted in scores and reputation defamation. It means little in the overall scheme of things, but because he was on an "off" day and marked me off in areas I can prove I was n compliance, I feel I'm justified in asking that the evaluation be expunged and re-done by a competent administrator, of which we have several. Many other teachers in identical situations feel the same, but we don't want to come across as retaliatory or taking advantage of his situation. Any feedback on situations such as this? Mine is a minor issue that probably won't be brought up again, but it does matter to me. I know others who are affected by formal observations in the same way, though, and we are all wondering.

3. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

May 14, 2014

That definitely sounds like a situation in which your evaluations should be expunged. No way should someone else's issues affect your record. It does not sound "minor." Could you approach another administrator about this?

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 14, 2014

I'm taking a wild guess that you don't have a union rep or someone comparable to act as your advocate (I'm non-union but have the latter)? You might need to draw straws and get someone to talk with the superintendent. If this is a documented issue, that helps.

5. EmptyClassroom

EmptyClassroom Rookie

May 15, 2014

To be honest, I'm so glad there's an explanation that I'm able to to laugh it off at this point, but, yes, we are asking no union rep to step in and request that all evaluations be delete. The response so far has been that these are not "official" observations but "formative assessments" of a moment in our teaching, and therefore not part of our formal observations or permanent records. Basically, we look like ineffective teachers but there is no ways to delete these "snapshots."

I, personally, have decided it's pointless and that we are pretty much screwed no matter what we do. I hope the union reps (two separate entities at this point) can make headway. I've been told, privately, that we just look like complainers and that nothing will change. My fear, of course, is that it will be held against us because we complained or called in reps.

It's nice to feel like the SANE one in this circus, to be honest.

6. EmptyClassroom

EmptyClassroom Rookie

May 15, 2014

Obviously there was an autocorrect and that should have been "an" union rep, not "no" union rep...unless it is an exception and should be "a" union rep.