Oppositional behavior...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Secondgradelady, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Secondgradelady

Secondgradelady New Member

Oct 13, 2021

Hello all! I could use some advice about student behavior. I have tried googling this in every way I know how with no luck!

I am a second grade teacher dealing with some oppositional behavior. I feel like that is the best way to describe it! I have between 2-4 boys in my class (depending on their moods) who will often do the opposite of what they should. A trivial example is saying "no" when I ask, "Are we ready"? That kind of thing. Or when we are working quietly, they're the ones to whoop or burp. It's frustrating.

The advice I have gotten from others is saying to put it in the students hands in order to have that peer pressure. A lot of times, the other students are fussing at them, and they continue on. I have some group incentives in the classroom, but it is very tricky to deal with when one or two students are refusing to comply and the others really want the reward. And if it is a long term thing (right now we are trying to earn lunch outside) it is unfair to not give it to the others, but I don't want to write off those few students now, so that they give up and don't care about following the expectations in the classroom because they know they aren't going to earn the reward.

I have discussed our classroom community, I really felt like we were there until about last week when they started acting out. I have been in contact with all of their parents as well. I use logical consequences for their behaviors (completing unfinished work during break times if it isn't complete due to playing, repeating behaviors done incorrectly during break time, moving to a private seat to limit talking) and I constantly reteach expectations to ensure they know what I want.

I'm not sure where to go from here! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

ITJOO and Tired Teacher like this.
  3. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Oct 13, 2021

I've got a handful of tough kids like you describe this year. Basically there are 2, but they influence a few followers.
    What I've started doing is both incentives for whole group as well as individual ones. So, the rest of the kids making good choices get acknowledgement and don't get frustrated.
    Whole group: earn points for extra recess
    Individual: collect a certain amount of stickers on their own chart (basically an index card, nothing fancy) when I catch them doing a good job. When they earn enough, they get to choose a little prize.
    We are still working on it but I have seen much improvement.
    You might also consider doing table/team points. That has worked with many of my past groups.

4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2021

I think it is a good idea to have individual incentives for those who are behaving, so the ODD ones do not discourage the rest. I am kind of "old school," but I might have the extra recess for those who earned it. The others could make up assignments or write your expectations during that time.
    1 thing I remember that worked wonders with truly ODD kids was to avoid ever saying the word: No. If they asked a question, I might say: Let me think about that, Yes, you can in 30 minutes, or I'll consider it when we are done with our assignments etc. Sometimes, I'd flip their Q's into Q's back at them.
    Another thing that worked with some was to ignore the daylights out of the behavior b/c we had no admin back up. The minute 1 piped up with: " No, we're not ready," I'd get a super excited happy voice and turn to some who were ready, praise them, and never even look side ways at the ODD student.
    ODD kids like to upset you. They thrive on it. I know it is hard, but if you can keep them seeing you as not fazed, it throws some for a loop. They don't win. They eventually have to change their behavior.
    I have dealt with my share of kids with RAD and ODD. They are really hard to teach. Especially if you do not have admin that will help. Good luck!
    Oh, a saying I grew up with that might help: They'll never get your goat as long as you do not let them know where it is tied. :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    ITJOO likes this.
  5. Secondgradelady

Secondgradelady New Member

Oct 13, 2021

Oh yes! I don't know why I didn't mention it, but I do have individual rewards for students as well. I have punch cards for great behavior and I often do give a punch to the whole class EXCEPT those students. Just to prove a point when they really try me. I like the advice about not saying no. I have found that as well. If I say "Maybe!" Or "We'll see!" to something outlandish, the usually forget lol! It has helped a lot. Thanks for your advice. Good to hear that I am ignoring the right things and embracing the right things!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  6. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Oct 16, 2021

One interesting thing you mentioned was that it started at a pretty specific time - last week. Any ideas what happened around that time that might have caused it?

Is there a "ring leader" to it all - someone who tends to get it started and keep it going, with other students clearly following the lead?

What is your best guess as to why it's happening - what students are getting out of it?

ITJOO likes this.
  7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Nov 4, 2021

You might also try totally ignoring the little stuff like saying no or burping. It’s hard, but when it happens, instead of correcting the behavior, praise others: Jason has his notebook out! Cora has hers out and is starting to write! I have an entire group over here getting started silently- wow, so many awesome students trying their best today!

ITJOO likes this.
  8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 4, 2021

The other students should definitely not miss out on rewards because of a few rotten apples. Of course, those are the kids whose parents will be the first to complain when they didn't get a reward.

9. ITJOO

ITJOO New Member

Nov 6, 2021

Teaching is a difficult job and we should not be disappointed during it

Tired Teacher likes this.
  10. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Nov 6, 2021

We have a dirty dozen in the building.
    Actually, there are only a few leaders and the rest are followers. Similar to gang mentality. We have PBIS in place and this has taken much time, effort, and patience but we are finally seeing the followers drop off. It's still a challenging building but less copycat situations are occurring.

PBIS
    Positive reinforcement has been another factor. The good kids and good classes are acknowledged and given tickets that are accumulated for an earned reward. This helps with morale but it difficult to maintain. I could spend half my day praising and rewarding the good and get nothing else done! Many times I am doing my job, and students are doing their job, and we smile & part ways. No reward other than verbal praise given.

"Cutting the Head Off of the Snake"
    Make the leaders a non-factor and watch the soldiers lose motivation. Some of our changes was due to admin calling parents or parents called to the building when the leaders were involved in a major incident. Regardless of the accountability at home, when a parent is interrupted from work or watching Maury and eating a pint of rocky road, it is an inconvenience. Soon, they will take an active role in redirecting their troublesome kids. Some of these leaders have IEP's and if the day is going badly, they will spend most of the time in the SPED room. When they are not roaming the halls, funny how the followers have nobody to copy.

otterpop and Tired Teacher like this.