Opposites theme

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by BevieG, Mar 20, 2006.

1. BevieG

BevieG New Member

Mar 20, 2006

Does anybody have some creative ideas for a lesson plan about opposites for a PreK class?:D

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 20, 2006

I know the The Foot book is opposites. Have an opposite day and have them wear their clothes the wrong way. Just an idea....

4. tina007

tina007 Rookie

Mar 20, 2006

I do opposites quite a bit. We do body motions to show over/under, up/down, and any other that pop into my head. Some at their seat, some on the floor, and sometimes with a partner. (put your hands over Amy's head) On the playground we play follow the leader with the equipment for those that apply.I have also rewritten If You're Happy and You Know it: Show me big/little, short/tall, up/down. They like this one the best because they're up and moving. Slightly crazy sometimes as well.

5. Xtine

Xtine Companion

Mar 20, 2006

We're doing Opposites right now in my 2's class, some of the crafts we've done:

Open/Close: Door cut out with a pompom door knob, glued a shamrock inside last week, could be any picture.

Up/Down: Pictures w/ clouds/grass, kite cut-outs that the kids decorated w/ stickers. Velcro on the back of the kite and one up high, the other down low, for when the kite is up or down.

Night/Day: Black Paper w/ White crescent moon and Blue paper w/ yellow sun

Inside/Outside: We did leprachaun's on tongue depressors, in a black cup w/ gold tissue paper/glitter around the rim so he'd be inside the pot of gold and outside the pot of gold

Dirty/Clean: Two pig pictures next to each other, finger printed w/ brown paint all over one pig to make him dirty

Empty/Full: Two empty gumball machine clip arts, filled one with round stickers to make it full

I like reading Go Dog Go, it's full of opposites. And Inside Outside Upside Down.

Christine

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Mar 21, 2006

7. geegee

geegee Companion

Mar 22, 2006

what lovely ideas for opposites

thanx all for the lovely ideas to use when teaching opposites.....i shall definitely use some of these ideas in my next year's lesson plan for opposites....we are almost at the end of our final term and so have finished with all our lessons for the year.

8. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Mar 22, 2006

how about having items found while its winter and summer and let the kids seperate them into two piles.

wet/dry have two large containers with tub/sand toys water in one and sand in the other.

dark/light ask them what they see out side in the sunlight, and what do they see when its dark outside.

hard/soft do the same as above for hot and cold, with hard and soft items. Or let them choose one piece of hard candy and one piece of soft chewy candy. Or ask one group of kids to build a house with blocks and another group to build with pillows.

Talk about back and forth, let the kids take turns on the swings and have them shout back and fourth when they do so.

full/empty fill some buckets with sand then empty them out.